Webb to Miss Next Start - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Webb to Miss Next Start

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Webb to Miss Next Start

Postby JTWood » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:08 am

Guzman24 wrote:Sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that concerns raised by insurance companies over Brandon Webb's arm caused the Diamondbacks to withdraw their offer of a three-year, $54 million contract extension last June.

It was believed that a deal was just about done then, so this explanation for the breakdown makes a lot of sense. Sources told Rosenthal that Webb passed a physical administered by the team, but that multiple insurance companies "raised concerns" when asked to cover the agreement.

Source: FOXSports.com
:-o

Hmm....

JTWood wrote:FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

:-C
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ILLZ » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:08 am

Well, this is encouraging at least... published yesterday afternoon:

For the first time, Webb revealed in an interview with MLB.com that he saw noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews and that Andrews told him as long as he continues his strengthening program he was at no greater risk than any other pitcher of developing a shoulder problem.

The examination took place in December after baseball's Winter Meetings. Webb's agents talked with D-backs officials at the meetings, and when it became clear that extension talks were not going to restart, Webb asked to visit Andrews.

"I just wanted to put my own mind at ease," Webb said. "The doctors that we had talked to said my shoulder was fine, but I just wanted to make sure, so I went and saw Dr. Andrews. He told me that my shoulder looked like a typical pitcher's shoulder and that I should not be worried as long as I kept up my workouts."

Full link:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
ILLZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JTWood » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:49 am

Not that it's the same thing, but my doctor told me that same thing about my serving shoulder when it was coming out of the socket twice each month. The doc even compared the state of my shoulder to that of a pitcher. When your shoulder looks "like a typical pitcher's shoulder," that means it's mangled and messed up. The question is whether or not it's still working in that state.

I've sense undergone strengthening, and it's no longer a problem. But if I were to get an exam today like what he had, I'd probably get the same review - and my shoulder could go right back to being a big pile of suck at any moment.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RenPastana » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:15 am

Hmm...for your pitcher/injury wise cafe fans...is it time to buy low on Webb?
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Mighty Trow » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:44 am

RenPastana wrote:Hmm...for your pitcher/injury wise cafe fans...is it time to buy low on Webb?

Owners in a few of my leagues have already put him on the block. The price is still high (re: on par with actual value) but if it can be discounted any further, I think a bargain could be had here...
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby soty » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:10 pm

Good news from Rotoworld.

The MRI for Brandon Webb (shoulder) came back clean, according to manager Bob Melvin.
The MRI was said to be precautionary, and it appears the discomfort in Webb's shoulder was muscular, not structural. There’s hope that Webb will be able to return to the rotation on Friday in San Francisco, which would be a welcome sight for both Webb owners and Arizona
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby JTWood » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:33 pm

I like the sound of him against that Giant's offense. }:-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby irish158 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:38 pm

There is no structural damage in the shoulder. He does have a small case of tendinitis and bursitis. It may bother him a bit now, but with a little rest (which he has gotten) it should be fine. Everything to this point including the Dr. Andrew's visit has been purely precautionary. I have him and I am in no way trading him.
irish158
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RenPastana » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Per Rotoworld:
The Diamondbacks have reportedly placed Brandon Webb on the disabled list after he still felt some soreness playing catch on Sunday.
Webb had hoped to pitch Friday, but Yusmeiro Petit will make at least one more start in his place. He will be eligible to return in 10 days.

Not good! :-t
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby soty » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:11 pm

Just saw that and your right its not good at all. Hopefully he will be ready to go in 10 days or so. :-o
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates