How many SP to carry? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

How many SP to carry?

How many SP to carry?

Postby MrMom » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm new to FB and wonder what is the general rule for the number of SP I should carry? 8 Team League with 21 on the roster. Positions are 2 SP, 2RP, 3P and categories are W, K, S, ERA, WHIP.

I've got 3SP (Lincecum, Matsuzaka, Greinke) and 4 RP (Lidge, Nathan, BJ Ryan, B Wilson). Is this the proper ratio or do I need more SP? My opponent this week has 5 SP, 1RP, and 1 SP/RP and he's killing me in strikeouts. He's going to wind up beating me in wins, as well. He's also currently beating me on ERA and WHIP. Will my relievers generally keep my ERA and WHIP down so that I can win those plus the saves in the future? Or should I be adding more SP? Thanks from a new guy who needs help!!
MrMom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How many SP to carry?

Postby Carnac » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:59 pm

Is this H2H or roto?

There is no set amount. But, you should have more starters than closers as a rule, unless you are going with a heavy closers strategy. I usually draft 7 or 8 starters and 3 or 4 closers. This is for a 21 round draft with 5 bench spots. Usually carry no more than one bench offensive player in H2H and draft the rest of my bench as pitchers.

hope this helps

good luck
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:17 am

Carnac wrote:Is this H2H or roto?

There is no set amount. But, you should have more starters than closers as a rule, unless you are going with a heavy closers strategy. I usually draft 7 or 8 starters and 3 or 4 closers. This is for a 21 round draft with 5 bench spots. Usually carry no more than one bench offensive player in H2H and draft the rest of my bench as pitchers.

hope this helps

good luck

Ditto. Use your bench spots for starting pitching in H2H. Unless your league allows streaming.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nihil » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:46 pm

Your definitely going to need more SPs. You'll probably do okay in ERA, WHIP, and Saves. But, you are going to have a hard time winning Ws and Ks. With only 8 teams, there should be some decent ones on wire at any given time.

Depending on what is allowed in your league (i.e. # of moves in a season, games played maximums, etc...) and what type of league it is, you could look into keeping an eye out for two-start pitchers (guys who have two starts that week) to bolster your numbers. This tends to lead to a trade off of gaining in Ws (hopefully) and Ks, but losing some ground in ERA and WHIP. But, it can pay some big dividends.

Your safest bet would be to look for 2 or 3 more solid SPs on the wire.
Nihil
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Beginner's Forum