Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chipper (Bruised Thumb)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chipper (Bruised Thumb)

Postby haymarket » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Scratched from todays game.
Per Dave O'Brien's blog on AJC
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blo ... /#comments
(most of the way down the page in the comments)
haymarket
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chipper (Bruised Thumb)

Postby AndrewKrylon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:39 pm

Sheesh, must be some kinda bruise. Unless that thing is purple, he shouldn't be missing a game.
AndrewKrylon
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks for this - I saw he was out, but didn't know why!
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby Trebor » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:04 pm

2 games and hes already pulling himself out of lineups...ugh

btw - annoying that he was listed in initial lineup, Yahoo gave him the starting ^, and then he pulls himself. oh well
Trebor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MrRalph13 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:14 pm

lets see here, 45 degrees out, day after a night game, bobby cox the ever cautious. i wouldn't be so sure it was chippers decision to sit this one out (in fact im sure it wasn't), and i also don't think its a horrible decision. this is quad tweaking weather.
MrRalph13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:16 pm

i look for him to do this more this season than before. he's signed that new contract, and he probably feels like hitting a HR night before gives him the right to take a day off. the sore thumb is probably from hitting the HR. :-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby MrRalph13 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:23 pm

foot in my mouth on it being Cox's call, but seems like a legit injury. O"Brien said in the blog link abaove that it was pretty purple and gross.

By Mark Bowman / MLB.com

04/08/09 2:15 PM ET

PHILADELPHIA — Chipper Jones was scratched from Wednesday afternoon’s lineup with a bruised left thumb that has created more discomfort as he has been repeatedly jammed with pitches over the course of the past week.
While Jones would have liked to have helped the Braves attempt to complete a three-game series sweep of the Phillies on Wednesday, he didn’t think it was in his best long-term interest to play amid chilly temperatures that would make him more susceptible to getting jammed again.

“I’ve been dealing with it for a week or 10 days, and I’d like to have it behind me by Friday,” said Jones, while providing indication that he plans to be in the lineup for Friday’s home opener against the Nationals.

Jones, who homered and doubled during Tuesday night’s victory, opted to remove himself from the lineup after feeling more discomfort while taking swings in the indoor batting cages on Wednesday. With the Phillies starting right-hander Joe Blanton in the series finale, the switch-hitting Jones didn’t feel like he’d be able to generate adequate bat speed while dealing with limited strength in his top hand.

“We have a day off and don’t play again until Friday,” Jones said. “After a couple days of treatment, it should be OK.”

Jones got jammed with a pitch during Thursday’s Grapefruit League season finale and then missed the two-game exhibition series in Atlanta last weekend with flu-like symptoms.

After getting jammed during the first two games of this week’s series in Philadelphia, he reported to the park on Wednesday with his left hand visibly bruised and swollen. Because he doesn’t feel discomfort when he grips his hand, the 36-year-old third baseman doesn’t believe he’s dealing with anything more than a bruise.
MrRalph13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:12 pm

So is Prado or Infante going to be backing up Chipper when he misses his typical 30-40 games?

tonight it was infante.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates