Fantasy Angel's (mostly) Daily Player News - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Fantasy Angel's (mostly) Daily Player News

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fantasy Angel's (mostly) Daily Player News

Postby tiggis » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:59 am

4/24/2009

Kyle Lohse
Kyle will have a MRI taken of his right knee to determine if there is any internal damage after a funny stop he made at first – says the St Louis Post Dispatch. He felt a pop and is in some pain when he bends it.

UPDATE** Cardinals RHP Kyle Lohse's MRI revealed no structural damage, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
This means most likely no DL stint, just a skip in his next start.

Cole Hamels
Cole took a shot in the arm, but not in a good way. – The Philthydelphia Inquirer reports.
Fantasy Angel Note – Official word is that he bruised it. Nothing broken. Maybe it will help him pitch better.

B.J. Ryan
B.J. finally admitted that he was not 100% and took a trip on the 15 day DL. – according to the Jays propaganda page. “Tightness in his trap” is the official word.
Fantasy Angel Note – It was not like he was ever throwing bullets anyway, (he is a location guy), but he has to maintain enough on his fastball to keep hitters honest. I hope someone drops him in my league.

Scott Downs
Downs is the new closer in lieu of B.J. Ryan’s injury. – the Jays propaganda page.
Fantasy Angel Note – Downs is most likely not a long term option. He pitches to contact and though he throws a lot of ground balls, he is known for folding under pressure (10 blown saves in 17 attempts)

Carlos Quentin
Carlos has some bad bruises on his left hand after an inside pitch. He should have some x-rays today to make sure it’s just a bruise.
Fantasy Angel Note – Word is its swollen and purple but not broken. Plan on him sitting a game or two.

Trevor Hoffman
THoff will rejoin the Brewers on Sunday. No word on if he is closer right away or if they ease him into the role.
Fantasy Angel Note – Thoff is a flyball pitcher and that will not play as well in Milwaukee as it did in the Petco. His flyball % is going up and his K rate is going down. Cover your eyes momma, this may get ugly.

Brian Moehler
The Houston Chronicle reports that Brian will pitch with a brace on his knee in Round Rock AAA for his rehab start. He will throw 90 pitches.

Carlos Beltran
Carlos is not stealing bags and the Mets are wondering why. Manuel had a talk with Carlos this week and suggested that he become more aggressive on the basepaths.
Fantasy Angel Note – Good news. We may see him make some attempts if that thigh injury from spring is truly healed.

Brett Cecil
It looks like the Jays will call up Brett to replace Ricky Romero in the rotation. – The Jays propaganda page.
Fantasy Angel note – Don’t bother. He has good K totals, but has no idea where the ball is going half the time.

Mike Pelfrey
Mike threw 40 pitches in a bullpen session with no pain – so says rotoworld’s secret agents.
He is scheduled to pitch on Saturday against the Nationals.

Jose Guillen
Jose looks to return on Saturday – so says the official propaganda page.
Fantasy Angel Note – He is very anxious to get back on the field is the word. If you need a 5th OF you could do worse. He keeps decent power and BA and you know where the floor is.

Jeff Weaver
The LA times reports that the Dodgers are looking at Weaver as a possible long reliever to shore up their shaky bullpen in front of Broxton.

Torri Hunter
Torii Hunter is DHing due to some flu that he is battling.
"I'm still not sure what it is -- maybe a virus of some kind, maybe food poisoning from something I ate the night before," Hunter wrote on MLB.com. "I know I was dehydrated, and that's never a good thing." - MLB Blog

Chad Gaudin
Chad struck out seven in five scoreless innings for Triple-A Portland on Thursday.
Fantasy Angel Note - He has not given up a run in AAA yet this year. Look for him to join the rotation in the Show soon.

Matt Wieters
Matt was back in the lineup at AAA Norfolk and went 1 for 4. He DH'd as he is recovering from a strained Hammy. - The Evil Elves at Rotoworld.
Last edited by tiggis on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fantasy Angel
Yes I am a southern girl.
Yes that is my photo,
Yes I can kick your butt in Fantasy Baseball,
Fantasy Angel's Sure Fire Breakout/Post Hype Player
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=404816
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:35 am

tiggis wrote:B.J. Ryan
B.J. finally admitted that he was not 100% and took a trip on the 15 day DL. – according to the Jays propaganda page. “Tightness in his trap” is the official word.
Fantasy Angel Note – It was not like he was ever throwing bullets anyway, (he is a location guy), but he has to maintain enough on his fastball to keep hitters honest. I hope someone drops him in my league.

You really can't trust Toronto when it comes to who is hurt where.
It could be anything, he could be reduced to just a head, and they'd still say sore trap. Or maybe trap is slang for mouth. :-?

tiggis wrote:Carlos Beltran
Carlos is not stealing bags and the Mets are wondering why. Manuel had a talk with Carlos this week and suggested that he become more aggressive on the basepaths.
Fantasy Angel Note – Good news. We may see him make some attempts if that thigh injury from spring is truly healed.

Maybe his knees are bothering him again. He got both worked on in '07-'08 I think.
Knees are tricky to get fixed, just ask Hideki.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby tiggis » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:07 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
tiggis wrote:B.J. Ryan

You really can't trust Toronto when it comes to who is hurt where.
It could be anything, he could be reduced to just a head, and they'd still say sore trap. Or maybe trap is slang for mouth. :-?

tiggis wrote:Carlos Beltran

Maybe his knees are bothering him again. He got both worked on in '07-'08 I think.
Knees are tricky to get fixed, just ask Hideki.

B.J. Ryan - The thought did cross my mind that this is a BS injury just to get him some work in to correct whatever he has wrong while "saving face" for their closer...... I agree with your assessment, it could be anything from a real hurt to a head hurt.
Fantasy Angel
Yes that is my photo,
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tiggis » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:41 am

David Price
Price got knocked around in AAA Durham this weekend He gave up two homers and walked 4.
Yuck.

Johnny Damon
Damon was a pinch hitter Sunday night due to some soreness he is having from running into the wall this weekend. – The Yankee Page

Scott Downs
Scott notched a save and looked sharp – From the Jays official propaganda page.
Fantasy Angel Note – Scott is still a fly ball pitcher with a record of crumbling in the closer role.
I have zero confidence in him keeping the job.

Eric Chavez
Eric was seen wandering the clubhouse with an ice pack on his right elbow this weekend.
Fantasy Angel Note – Don’t look for him to play for a bit. Word is the arm has been bothering him off and on since spring training.

Joe Mauer
Joe had a minor setback this weekend the Star Tribune reports.
Joe caught back to back games and he felt a little off afterwards
Fantasy Angel Note- This is most likely conditioning. He should be in the show on Friday barring a true setback.

Joakim Soria
Soria tossed 35 pitches off flat ground this weekend. – The Kansas City Star Reports.
Manager Trey Hillman said he will keep Soria out until he is healthy and refuses to take any risk with him.

Brandon Morrow
Brandon told manager Don Wakamatus he is ready to pitch again after some shoulder stiffness on Saturday.
Fantasy Angel Note – Brandon walked everyone his first two times out as closer but has really looked good the last few times.

Brian Moehler
Brian wants to get up to 100 tosses. He threw 77 for Round Rock in AAA. – Houston Chronicle

Pedro Martinez
Rumors over at MLB report that the Mets are in discussions with Pedro Martinez.

Jose Valverde
Jose may be out for a few games with a sore leg – reports the Houston Chronicle.
Fantasy Angel Note – He is quoted as saying he felt pain on every pitch and cannot cover first.

Nate McLouth
Nate may be returning soon according to the Post Gazette.
He injured an oblique in batting practice Friday night, but is showing good progress.

Daniel Cabrera
Dcab has lost some zip on his fastball – so says the Nationals official propaganda page.
He and the team claims he is not hurt, so its most likely mechanics.
Fantasy Angel Note – The word is that he is trying to control his walks to the point of hurting his velocity. Let the boy throw please.

J.D. Drew
The Boston Globe reports that JD left the game on Sunday with a tight hammy.
Fantasy Angel Note – Look for him to sit on Monday night. He has had problems with this leg in the past.
Fantasy Angel
Yes that is my photo,
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tiggis » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:44 am

Hanley Ramirez
Hanley got plunked on the right hand Monday night but the XRay says no broken bones – The Sun Sentinel
Fantasy Angel Note – Word is the bruise is pretty bad and holding a bat may be a stretch.

Brad Hawpe
Brad caught a ball in the side of his head Monday night the Denver Post reports.
Fantasy Angel Note – they have mentioned the dreaded concussion word. Prayers to Brad.

Homer Bailey
Homer (bad name for a pitcher) was named International League Pitcher of the Week. He has a 2.92 ERA and has gotten 19 ks in 13 innings.
Fantasy Angel Note – If he keeps this up Dusty Baker has got to take notice and call him up so he can ruin his arm.

Jim Thome
Jim has a sore heel and he will not be starting for couple of games to rest it. He may pinch hit a few times though- The Sun Times
Fantasy Angel Note – He is a DH, so I don’t think he misses much unless they declare it to be serious.

Dontrell Willis
Dwill will pitch a start at AAA Holy Toledo! this Friday night and after the Hens game he may be recalled to the Tigers – the Detroit News says.
Fantasy Angel Note – He struck out 12 batters in a row, mostly with heat. Erie reports his breaking stuff is still kinda flat.

Joe Mauer
The Star Tribune agrees….Joe knows Fort Myers single A and he caught a game there on Monday. He hit .500 with two walks. Look for him to catch another game today as he builds some stamina behind the plate, he is not used to all that squatting and standing is the word.

Jessie Crain
Uncle Jessie fired up the General Lee and tossed a few balls before the game last night. This is the first step to getting him back on the field.
He should get a bullpen session by this weekend and we will see whats what. – The Star Tribune.

Josh Hamilton
Josh “kosh bagosh” (heh) did not play Monday night due to some bruised ribs. They are going to have the doc look him over today just to be sure he is okay.
The Dallas News reports that he will get X-rays and take a DL stint if needed.

Ryan Freel
Freel headed over to Delmarva A ball and then bounce around the A – AAA games to keep him playing until he can come off the DL on May 6th. Word from the Baltimore Sun is that he is feeling no pain from his concussion.

Phil Hughes
Phil comes back to the show tonight vs the Tigers and I for one and excited.
Fantasy Angel Note – I have picked him up in my two leagues I really like him tonight
He will get a win.

Chris Getz
Chris wants to play today – The Sun Times reports. He is quoted as saying he does not think he will need a DL trip for that broken finger.
Fantasy Angel Note – Chris gets full marks for bravery but he will swing a bat today before the game, that will tell us the story.

Matt LaPorta
Matt should be arrested for the way he is abuseing AAA pitching. The New York Post reports he is slugging over .700.
With the slumping Francisco and Crowe doing nothing, he could be on his was up soon.

Carlos Delgado
The New York Post says that Delgado will go see a doctor today about his sore hip. Jerry Manuel revealed that it has been sore since Sundays game.
No DL trip is expected.

Brian McCann
Brian spent the day in the eye doctor’s office trying on contact lenses reports the Atlanta Urinal and Constipation.
Fantasy Angel Note – The word is he will have more Lasik to correct the problem.

Johnny Damon
Damon is still feeling some shoulder pain from that wall collision from the other day. Its reported to be black and blue in places.
He refused an MRI offer by the Yanks but is reported to have requested something for pain and inflammation. – The New York Post

J.D.Drew
Drew did not start last night vs Lee but he says his quad injury is fine. The Boston Herald reports it was just a nights rest to be sure. Look for him to be back in the lineup.

Carlos Mamol
Carlos threw a bullpen session of 35 pitches on Monday and he said he is ready to pitch in a Major league game – reports the Sun Times.

Melvin Mora
Mora will play 2/3rds of a game in AAA today to test out his sore hammy. If all goes well he will be in Toronto on Friday.

CC Sabathia
The New York Daily News reports CC gave up a 2 run Homer to Ordonez and the Yanks lost another one. 4 runs/6 hits/7ks
Fantasy Angel Note – Don’t let the scoreboard fool you! CC was sharp as a tack. He walked ZERO – struck out 7. He left one up in the zone and got burned but that was just bad luck.
Time to make a lowball offer and steal him.

Michael Young
What has gotten into Mr. Young. I have allways been a fan, but he has come alive. Yahoo stats shows the best start for him HR wise since 2005.
Is it real or is it Memorex?
Fantasy Angel Note – Sell if you can get value on his power revival His contact rate is continuing to drop at the same rate it has been since his 2005 peak, and he is striking out too much.
The power is a mirage. Almost half of his Flyballs have been round trippers this stat will not continue. He wont be worse than you expected this year, but there will be a drop back down to earth.

Chris Iannetta
If your wondering what is up with Chris I was to.
After last year when he killed the ball this year he cant him the ground with his hat.
Some research shows the problem.. Bad luck. His BHIP is below .100 that means everything he hits is right at someone. That wont last.
Look for his average to rise soon. I am holding on to him.
Fantasy Angel
Yes that is my photo,
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:17 pm

tiggis wrote:Brian McCann
Brian spent the day in the eye doctor’s office trying on contact lenses reports the Atlanta Urinal and Constipation.
Fantasy Angel Note – The word is he will have more Lasik to correct the problem.

Not a fan of your local paper? :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby djack909 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Redos of laxic are often not sucessful. You may do well grabbing a back-up for McCann.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:19 am

tiggis wrote:Matt LaPorta
Matt should be arrested for the way he is abuseing AAA pitching. The New York Post reports he is slugging over .700.
With the slumping Francisco and Crowe doing nothing, he could be on his was up soon.

:-L Yes please

tiggis wrote:Michael Young

The power is a mirage. Almost half of his Flyballs have been round trippers this stat will not continue. He wont be worse than you expected this year, but there will be a drop back down to earth.

Nice point ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:25 am

djack909 wrote:Redos of laxic are often not sucessful. You may do well grabbing a back-up for McCann.

Went hitless yesterday in Class A. Obviously one game isn't going to tell us anything, but...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tiggis » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:36 am

Jim Thome
Jim is out until Friday or Saturday with that heel related injury. – White Sox’s official propaganda page
Fantasy Angel Note- he is old. Expect this all year.

Gil Meche
Gil had to leave the game on Tuesday with a back spasm. Word from KC is that he will be fine, just didn’t get loose.

Cole Hamels
Cole got hurt again. – Philly propaganda page. He should be ready for his next start.
Fantasy Angel Note – He was pitching a beauty and then pulled up lame. – Nothing to see here, move along.

Josh Hamilton
Josh –Kosh-Bgosh- will most likely hit the DL on Thursday for 15 days of R&R. The Doc says Strained Intercoastal – That’s about 8 – 10 days or rest normally.
Fantasy Angel Note – They are trying to treat it, but are expected to announce on Thursday.

Joe Mauer
Joe knows .. well lots.. he should be starting for the Twins on Friday if all goes well.
Fantasy Angel Note - He is supposed to fly up on Weds, rest Thurs. and play Friday.

Nomar Garciaparra
Normar is hurt. He is going to the DL. This is a cut and paste from 2008, 2007, 2006….

Jorge Posada
MLB tonight reports that Jorge has a sore hammy..
Fantasy Angel Note – Old catchers have these types of tweaks all the time.

Pat Burrell
Pat “the bat” did not start last night due to a stiff neck. He should start tonight.
Fantasy Angel Note – Maybe he slept on it wrong? Who knows.

Jose Valverde
Jose takes a trip to the DL for 15 days of R&R - So says Houstons Official page. Word is he will be back in 15 easily as this is not considered a serious injury.
LaTroy Hawkins makes a nice short term pickup if you need saves.

Brad Hawpe
Good news Rockies fans – Brad’s injury is not that bad, in fact he should play Friday night. No concussion, just a big bruise. – The Rockies Official Propaganda page.

Hanley Ramirez
Manley Hanley is still feeling the pain from that hand shot he took the other night. Apparently its very swollen and he cannot hold a bat yet. I would not expect him in the lineup today as they most likely wont push it with their superstar.

Brian McCann
Brian is still struggling with that vision issue. He went hitless in a A game at Myrtle beach last night.

Shawn Hill
Hill could be back in a few weeks – The official Padres propaganda reports says. MRI was good but it also mentions tendinitis and fluid behind the elbow.
Fantasy Angel Note – Hmmm.. I don’t want the risk, but you might.

Trevor Hoffman
Fantasy Angel Note – Hoff picked up a save last night for the Brewers, but I still don’t trust him.

Aramis Ramirez
Aram will most likely be headed for the DL – The cubs official page kind a says. They are still not saying for certain, but reading between the lines, it looks likely.
Plan ahead or plan to fail.

Brad Lidge
Brad “super-bad’ Lidge said he is really hurting from that knee inflammation when he lands. Lidge said if it still hurts in a few days a DL option may be best for him. Ryan Madson is a good pickup.

Edwin Encarcion
Edwin takes a trip on the 15 day DL. – Broken wrist is the reported injury from the Official page in CIN city.
Fantasy Angel Note – with the way he has been hitting this can only help.
Fantasy Angel
Yes that is my photo,
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates