100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Projections on these 3 SPs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Projections on these 3 SPs

Postby J35J » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:32 pm

DevilDriver wrote:
J35J wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:Honestly I think you guys are underrating Zimmerman. He sits 92-3 mph on his fastball and has a plus slider. Masterson sits around 90 with a solid slider which is definitely not plus. While Masterson is a #3 or 4 starter at best, Zim is a likely #3 with the potential to be a #2. They're not on the same level in terms of fantasy value.

2 different types of fastballs...you can't really compare the two.

Not sure what you mean by that. A 92-3 mph 4-seamer denotes greater K potential and therefore more upside than a 90 mph sinker.

92-93 mph fastball is fairly average and isn't an out pitch at that speed. A 90 mph sinker isn't a K pitch either but I'd rather have a good 90 mph sinker than a fairly regular 92-93mph 4 seamer. And don't get me wrong....I put Zimmermann ahead of Masterson too but you act as if the 2 aren't even close.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Projections on these 3 SPs

Postby DevilDriver » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:17 pm

J35J wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:
J35J wrote:
2 different types of fastballs...you can't really compare the two.

Not sure what you mean by that. A 92-3 mph 4-seamer denotes greater K potential and therefore more upside than a 90 mph sinker.

92-93 mph fastball is fairly average and isn't an out pitch at that speed. A 90 mph sinker isn't a K pitch either but I'd rather have a good 90 mph sinker than a fairly regular 92-93mph 4 seamer. And don't get me wrong....I put Zimmermann ahead of Masterson too but you act as if the 2 aren't even close.

More specifically, his fastball is regularly 92-3 but he can dial it up mid-90s when necessary. Plus it has good sinking action. I don't think I'd classify that as a "fairly regular" 4 seamer, it's a legitimate plus pitch. Now in real-life, the gap between him and Masterson is somewhat closer because the latter could develop into a solid #3 starter in the DLowe-mold, but in terms of fantasy value, then yes, they aren't even close. I stand by my statement that you're underrating Zimmerman, but I guess only time will tell. ;-)
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball