Why is Alexei Ramirez Batting Eighth? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Why is Alexei Ramirez Batting Eighth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why is Alexei Ramirez Batting Eighth?

Postby smalls2598 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:04 pm

Citi Field of Dreams wrote:DeWayne Wise and Getz were benched today, only to see Ozzie Guillen put Brent Lillibridge in the leadoff slot with Josh Fields batting second.

For the record, Josh Fields should never be a second hitter. But does Guillen have any confidence in Ramirez? He's been hitting well of late, but is still stuck in that eight spot.

Well, to clarify your post here: Wise is on the DL for 6-8 weeks. Getz hasn't played the past few days due to a triceps injury. He was originally scheduled to play today, but the Sox held him out one more day.
smalls2598
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Citi Field of Dreams » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:35 pm

smalls2598 wrote:Well, to clarify your post here: Wise is on the DL for 6-8 weeks. Getz hasn't played the past few days due to a triceps injury. He was originally scheduled to play today, but the Sox held him out one more day.

OK, I didn't know about Wise, but I had heard that Getz was going to play today. Thanks for the clarification.

But in any event, despite a low OBP, doesn't Ramirez fit the second hitter role a little better than Fields?
If Ozzie Smith can make the Hall, why can't Rey Ordóñez?
Citi Field of Dreams
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Padres Fan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:02 pm

Any manager knows you want you 1st 2 batters to get on base for the 3-5 hitters.
as of 4/15

Ramirez 25 AB .160avg .222OBP 2BB 7K

Fields 22AB .318avg .464OBO 5bb 7k

both has played 7 games, as of this moment until Ramirez gets it going Fields is definately better at the 2 hole

I stand by my prediction of a .240 15hrs 10sb .310OBP for Alexi this season
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby screwball1234 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:25 pm

He's lucky he is even in the lineup with the way he is hitting, he was a scratch from todays game so maybe a couple days off is what he needs right now
screwball1234
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hwiggen » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Ozzie Guillen has been on record as saying he likes Ramirez in an "RBI spot." Ozzie also felt that Ramirez didn't produce as well last season in the games that he did bat second.
Personally, I'd like to see Alexei bat second but Fields has been fine there so far and Fields can lay down a bunt if needed and has decent (although not great) speed.
As for Lillibridge, he made a great hustling play Saturday, turning a pop up to the back-peddling second baseman into a sac fly. Lillibridge was is that game because a tough lefty, Kazmir was pitching for TB and I'm guessing his start Sunday was Guillen's way of rewarding that hustle.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates