I have officially fielded the worst team in fantasy baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I have officially fielded the worst team in fantasy baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I have officially fielded the worst team in fantasy baseball

Postby NickyEyes » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:22 pm

C Jason Varitek
1B Albert Pujols
2B Kaz Matsui
SS Yunel Escobar
3B Adrien Beltre
OF Justin Upton
OF Alex Rios
OF Grady Sizemore

SP Buehrle
SP Kawakami
SP Kuroda
SP Sonnanstine
RP Soria

BEN Elvis Andrus
BEN Trevor Cahill
BEN Micah Owings
BEN Randy Wolf

my position players are really good in my opinion, but my pitching is just atrocious. fantasy baseball is SO much harder than fantasy football. I guess the only thing I can do is hope for some of these young prospects to blossom this year.
NickyEyes
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I have officially fielded the worst team in fantasy baseball

Postby WorldBeater » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:24 am

Ouch,
The worst part is that you may not have enough room in terms of trades to do much about it. It's not over though. You could throw caution to the wind and trade Pujols for a couple of good pieces or you could stalk the wire hoping to find a diamond in the rough.
In exchange for Pujols I'd look for a SP and 2b or 3b. You can find a 1b almost anywhere that'll be adequate
WorldBeater
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 pm

h2h or roto?

You're not winning strikeouts very often, that's a given. But most of those starters are reliable guys. I'd look for high-risk, high-reward guys on the wire, pitchers like Ubaldo Jimenez, Wandy Rodriguez, Jonathan Sanchez, maybe Jordan Zimmerman.

I'd be careful about trading Pujols. At least be sure you're getting great value. Even though there are 1b available, few of them hit for such a ridiculous avg and have 40+ hr pop, and your rotation isn't just 1 starter away. If it's MCab and Peavy, then I might do it. If it's Adrian Gonzalez and Dice-K, no thanks.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 66)

Postby OldDirtyBatter » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:11 pm

Seems like you'll have to take some gambles, via trades and the WW. I'd be paying close attention to injuries and try to beat others to the wire. Other that that, I would print out the round by round draft results and see what went wrong.

Did I reach for sleepers too early?

Did I wait too long on a thin position?

Did I fall in love with certain guys?

You should get a clear picture of what went wrong on draft day. Looking at your roster, after Pujols/Sizemore/Rios, I can't figure out who your 4th pick was.

You have your work cut out for you, but this season can be a valuable learning tool. Manage to the best of your ability.

Best of Luck.

ODB

P.S. All this goes out the window if you tell me it was a 16 team league. :-)
OldDirtyBatter
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Eagle Baseball » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:39 pm

I agree with Dirty. Assuming this is a standard 12 team league. Who did you draft in rds 4, 5, 6, 7?
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NickyEyes » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:42 pm

Sorry, I didn't give out enough info. Its an 18 team league and its H2H, and it was an auction in which we spent the majority of our money on hitting (obviously). What we didn't anticipate was seeing mid-level pitchers (Slowey, Wainwright, Myers, etc) go for so much. Everyone we targeted went about 5 to 10 dollars more than we could afford.

Ubaldo Jimenez, Wandy Rodriguez, Jonathan Sanchez, and Jordan Zimmerman were all drafted. We've been scouting the waiver wire and have come up with Scott Olsen, Brett Anderson, and Zach Duke. others available are: Sean Marshall, Doug Davis, Jamie Moyer, Jesse Litsch, Pedro Martinez, and Andrew Miller.

Being a complete newcomer, I really appreciate all of the feedback guys.

Also, considering Pujols and Sizemore were so expensive, we're expecting to have slight problems moving the because we assume most teams don't want to tie up all of their cap in them.
NickyEyes
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:53 pm

18 teams changes things quite a bit. Your offense does look very solid for such a deep league, and I like Andrus as a bench guy. Your pitching is still weak, but there won't be too many teams with dominating starters up and down. You'll probably lose pitching cats more often than not, but any team can have a bad week, so you won't be shut out.

In a league as deep as that, I think Anderson (decent numbers, good home park), Miller (does he put it together), Marshall (really not a bad k pitcher, good team), and Litsch (not many k's, but the whip is good) are all interesting. Pedro, too, if he lands in the right situation. Steer clear of high-whip guys. Some other guys that have a chance of being available are Purcey, Escobar, and Anthony Reyes.

In an 18-teamer, and an auction, that team looks much better. A guy like Sonnanstine can be a pretty good value there.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 66)

Postby Hit Factory » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:46 am

An 18 team league is a bit much imo. Obviously each team will have watered down talent but I think you can get by with your offense (Pujols, Sizemore, and Rios,) are solid and you have Justin Upton and Beltre to give you some extra assistance. I'm not a big Kaz Matsui guy but hey, in a league this big some teams will have below par position players. Yunel Escobar is fine, shortstop is already a very shallow position so no worries, (Elvis Andrus could be really good.) As for the pitching, you said it yourself its "atrocious," lol. I like Kuroda and Sonnastine could put together a nice year but I am not a Buehrle fan and who knows about Karakami. Overall I think if your pitching can pull itself together you might do ok, if not it will be a long season.
Hit Factory
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team