First time playing in a DAILY transaction league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

First time playing in a DAILY transaction league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First time playing in a DAILY transaction league

Postby krunchyfrogg » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:22 pm

What are some sound strategies to take advantage of changing lineups every day?

I was thinking of loading up on relievers, even if they aren't closers so that I'd lower my ratios and kick up the K's a bit. I also thought of loading up on some very good starters for similar reasons.

How many (out of five) bench spots should be dedicated to hitters? Ideally, I'd like a bench player or two that qualifies at a few different positions so that I could plug him in on Tuesdays and Thursdays at different spots. Is it worth getting a second Catcher in a single catcher league, so that you can play the backup guy on days when the better catcher is resting?

Help me out here, I'd love to kick some serious butt this season!
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First time playing in a DAILY transaction league

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Getting a couple top quality middle relievers is always a sound strategy to lower ratios. Carrying an extra catcher is not worth the roster spot when he might only play one or two times a week. Having a utility player is a great help with roster flexibility. Lineups are usually posted about an hour before the start of the game so if you can check in you can move your rosters around for guys that may be sitting that day for whatever reason.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:30 pm

krunchyfrogg wrote:I was thinking of loading up on relievers, even if they aren't closers so that I'd lower my ratios and kick up the K's a bit. I also thought of loading up on some very good starters for similar reasons.

Is there an inning limit? Is it standard 5x5? The answer to your question depends on the answer to these.
krunchyfrogg wrote:How many (out of five) bench spots should be dedicated to hitters?

One.
krunchyfrogg wrote:Ideally, I'd like a bench player or two that qualifies at a few different positions so that I could plug him in on Tuesdays and Thursdays at different spots.

Yes.
krunchyfrogg wrote:Is it worth getting a second Catcher in a single catcher league, so that you can play the backup guy on days when the better catcher is resting?

No.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Matthias wrote:
krunchyfrogg wrote:I was thinking of loading up on relievers, even if they aren't closers so that I'd lower my ratios and kick up the K's a bit. I also thought of loading up on some very good starters for similar reasons.

Is there an inning limit? Is it standard 5x5? The answer to your question depends on the answer to these.
krunchyfrogg wrote:How many (out of five) bench spots should be dedicated to hitters?

One. I'd go probably 2
krunchyfrogg wrote:Ideally, I'd like a bench player or two that qualifies at a few different positions so that I could plug him in on Tuesdays and Thursdays at different spots.

Yes. If its Yahoo, try getting Felipe Lopez.
krunchyfrogg wrote:Is it worth getting a second Catcher in a single catcher league, so that you can play the backup guy on days when the better catcher is resting?

No.

;-D
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby krunchyfrogg » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks a lot everybody!
Matthias wrote:

There is no inning limit. It is a H2H league, using standard 5x5 scoring.
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:43 pm

krunchyfrogg wrote:Thanks a lot everybody!
Matthias wrote:

There is no inning limit. It is a H2H league, using standard 5x5 scoring.

I would get 3 ace pitchers, 2-3 good pitchers, and then closers or very, very good middle relievers for the rest of your bench.

Play your aces. Play your relievers. And then if you need the K's or W's or whatever, or have a good spot start, play your other starters.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:22 pm

Yeah, for bench players try to cover as many positions as possible without sacrificing talent or having too many. Felipe Lopez is a great example, as are guys like DeRosa, Stewart, and Barmes. I usually have one OF sub and one IF sub. Position scarcity in daily subs takes a backseat to eligibility, as a benched OF will produce the same stats as a benched 2B (that's not to say scarcity suddenly doesn't matter though).

An extra RP or two is a huge bonus if you play them right. Since you can change around your lineup every day you get a free bonus of good ratios when your SPs don't pitch, and it gives you a ratios cushion should you pick up a spot starter for a win and some K's.

Also, since it's H2H, if your pitching ratios stink it up badly at the beginning of the week, you can churn SPs for the last 2-3 days to salvage wins and K's.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers