Rate my 5x5 roto team- WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate my 5x5 roto team- WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate my 5x5 roto team- WHIR

Postby Swept Away » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:12 am

Hey all, I just had my draft yesterday. We're in a 12-team, 5x5 roto league, auction draft with $260. We're getting another $180 to start bidding on free agents in the next day or so, and I think I'm going to need to pick up another starter and possibly a better bat for middle infield or DH. We can add four players, but no more than two MLB pitchers.

My strategy was to be as cheap as possible with my pitching staff but still solid, and the most expensive pitcher I got was Matt Capps at 14. Of course I got to start with J. Johnson, Billingsley, and Volquez as $1 keepers. I picked up Jered Weaver as my final pitcher and that was probably not a great choice, but at the time I couldn't find many other decent guys available. Armando Gallarragga is still available from the Tigers so I'm going to make a free agent bid for him.

For hitting, I tried to load up on as much power as possible without killing my average- Pena's probably the only guy whose average is going to stink (hopefully). Markakis was also a keeper at $6. I got a decent amount of steals too. When it came time to filling in my DH spot, I went with Blalock but I'm not so high on him, like Jered Weaver. Somehow JD Drew and Mike Jacobs didn't get drafted so I'll make bids on them.

What do you think?

C- Geovany Soto
C- Yadier Molina
1B- Mark Teixeira
2B- Kelly Johnson
3B- Chone Figgins
SS- Jason Bartlett
MI- Kaz Matsui
CI- Carlos Pena
OF- Nick Markakis
OF- Alex Rios
OF- Bobby Abreu
OF- Hunter Pence
OF- Jermaine Dye
DH- Hank Blalock

SP- Chad Billingsley
SP- Edinson Volquez
SP- Josh Johnson
SP- Carlos Zambrano
SP- Jair Jurrjens
SP- Jered Weaver
RP- Joel Hanrahan
RP- Brian Wilson
RP- Matt Capps
Swept Away
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate my 5x5 roto team- WHIR

Postby decatur squares » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Over all, i like your team. pretty good on most categories and I like your pitching even more so, because you were able to keep your three best pitchers for so cheap. Hank Blalock is a good hitter. I dont think its an issue to have him on your team, but just be ready to drop him when he goes on the DL sooner then later.

Im not a fan of Jason Bartlett. He will get you an ok average. His .286 average last year is probably a little high for him, probably going to be in the .270 range. Yes, he will get you about 20 steals, but he will also only get you 35-40 RBIs. Probably better to go with a player with some upside here. There are a lot of leagues leaving Orlando Cabrera on the WW. I would consider him over bartlett. He will give just a little more power 10 homers over 2, but slightly higher average and the 1 or 2 less stolen bases. The other guy I would think about is andrus, but he may have issues with his average this season. He is more a buy cheap for his future potential then for this season.

On your thoughts on WW buys. The reason people are staying away from Drew is his nagging back issues. I dont see him spending less then 3 visits to the DL this season. If a off season of rest has not healed his back issues then a few weeks probably wont do much either. I like Jacobs, he is a power hitter on a young Royals team who could have a great Offensive year. I would grab him in a second to hand cuff Blalock at DH.

Willing the help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=376738
decatur squares
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Swept Away » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:26 am

So I picked up some reserves:

SS Jed Lowrie
OF Colby Rasmus
1B Mike Jacobs

SP Armando Galarraga
RP Fernando Rodney
Swept Away
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Hit Factory » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:02 pm

Hey there, you have a pretty solid squad, minus SS and MI. I am in a 12 team league also and I feel your pain having to use sub-par players to fill some positions, (I have Khalil Greene at SS and Alexi Casilla at MI :~( ) However I think the rest of your offense is pretty good. Your pitching is pretty strong as well, Billingsley is a beast and is a great anchor for your staff. I like the additions of the reserve players especially Gallaraga and Jacobs, both primed for a big year!

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=373182
Hit Factory
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team