Justin Upton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Justin Upton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Justin Upton

Postby HipHipJorge » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:58 pm

Just checked out Yahoo. J Upt has been dropped by 5000. Whoa. You guys willing to give up on this guy after 5 games? :-o
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theonetheonlypv » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:11 pm

Whalewang wrote:
theonetheonlypv wrote:someone just dropped him in my league--worth a pickup?

It really depends on the parameters of your league.

standard 5x5 h2h league. i have some wiggle room in terms of players to drop/stash and it's not urgent. i'm thinking of picking him up and dropping lyon and just hanging on to him to see what happens.
theonetheonlypv
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheNephilim » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:59 pm

theonetheonlypv wrote:
Whalewang wrote:
theonetheonlypv wrote:someone just dropped him in my league--worth a pickup?

It really depends on the parameters of your league.

standard 5x5 h2h league. i have some wiggle room in terms of players to drop/stash and it's not urgent. i'm thinking of picking him up and dropping lyon and just hanging on to him to see what happens.

I would probably do this, simply for the upside factor. Lyon is essentially worthless now with Rodney closing, Zumaya rehabing, and perry pitching well.
TheNephilim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby swyck » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:51 pm

HipHipJorge wrote:Just checked out Yahoo. J Upt has been dropped by 5000. Whoa. You guys willing to give up on this guy after 5 games? :-o

And why not? Because he may possibly be fantastic some day, maybe even next week?

In the meantime the rest of us not in deep leagues or without large benches have rosters to manage. I mean really I hope he's not starting for you. O:-)

I like having some potential at the end of my bench, but if I have a need, it ain't a keeper, and that guy just ain't getting it done, then he's gone. There's more failed prospects around then there are realized prospects. Yeah I may regret it, but sometimes the sleeper and prospect love around here is just mindboggling. :-b

I'm rethinking the whole concept of benches for fantasy. I love them, and love to stash sleepers, prospects and would be closers as much as the next guy, but really, if you want a player then why not play him? Maybe I'll do a benchless league next year for those who are willing to walk the talk. :-B
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby TheNephilim » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:35 pm

Another day another O fer. Yikes :-°
TheNephilim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fan Interference » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:10 am

for some reason someone dropped andre ethier so im dropping upton for him. I would hold on to upton for atleast a month if that didnt pop up though
Fan Interference
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Lsquad » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:15 am

I just dropped him for swisher. In a shallow league, there is just to much other OF talent lying around to wait for lil' Upton to figure out whatever ails him.
Lsquad
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mordraken » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:25 am

I'm in a tough situation where I have A-Rod and Mauer on my DL, Joey Devine also on the DL (waiting for SOME answer on what's going on with him), and I have Upton as my every-day outfielder with no bench batter.

My choices:

1 - Drop Upton for a batter who at least plays more than he sits on the bench
2 - Drop Devine (keeper league) and let someone else scoop him up...
3 - Continue to plug Upton in every day and see my opponents get ~20 more at bats, and productive at bats.

Sure Upton won't be 0-fer for the year, but it's getting hard for me to wait.

Devine is the most frustrating part of my roster... he was fantastic last year, and was supposed to be the next big closer, and now he's out with no word on what's wrong with him.

PS - last year I dropped Liriano after he posted a >10 ERA over the first month and was relegated to the minors. I don't want a repeat of that with Devine - OR Upton.

Now you can see why people are dropping Upton...
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:50 am

Mordraken wrote:I'm in a tough situation where I have A-Rod and Mauer on my DL, Joey Devine also on the DL (waiting for SOME answer on what's going on with him), and I have Upton as my every-day outfielder with no bench batter.

My choices:

1 - Drop Upton for a batter who at least plays more than he sits on the bench
2 - Drop Devine (keeper league) and let someone else scoop him up...
3 - Continue to plug Upton in every day and see my opponents get ~20 more at bats, and productive at bats.

Sure Upton won't be 0-fer for the year, but it's getting hard for me to wait.

Devine is the most frustrating part of my roster... he was fantastic last year, and was supposed to be the next big closer, and now he's out with no word on what's wrong with him.

PS - last year I dropped Liriano after he posted a >10 ERA over the first month and was relegated to the minors. I don't want a repeat of that with Devine - OR Upton.

Now you can see why people are dropping Upton...

in a keeper league, i wouldnt drop Upton regardless. If you had the choice in a keeper to either drop Upton or Devine, definitely Devine.
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Mighty Trow » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:04 pm

this is frustrating. if he would only help his cause. it is early though... i hate to make decisions within the first month of the season, partly because my league caps the number of moves, partly becaue i know that baseball is a waiting game.

i know the dbacks are really high on him (he's what, 16 years old? :-b ) but realistically he's still one or two years away from super star numbers.
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates