League VETOERS problem... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

League VETOERS problem...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

League VETOERS problem...

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Ok so i think i may be having an issue in one of my leagues already... 3 trades have been accepted, only one has gone through and i think guys are just getting pissed cuz they aren't invovled in these trades, as 1 team has been involved in all three and one other manager with 2 trades...

12 team h2h league standard 5x5 + BB, TB, 2B, OBP + Holds, Shutouts, Quality Starts, K/9

trade that went through:

Team A Gives: Josh Beckett/Jordan Zimmerman (we have a minor league system)
Team B Gives: Roy Halladay

2 trades that got vetoed:

Team A Gives: Nelson Cruz/Johnny Cueto
Team B Gives: Matt Kemp
reason from the league being the Kemp side is giving WAY too much and the draft positions of each

Team A Gives: Jayson Werth/Ublado Jimenez
Team B Gives: Alfonso Soriano
reason hear being that Werth only showed flashes for a year, same as Jimenez, where as Soriano has been doing it for years (im thinking to myself ok so why was the Kemp deal vetoed as he has only done it really for a year but...)

Now to mean NONE of those are veto worthy, i mean hell its a keeper league and the quality of players on both sides seem to be very very equal... now what should i do as i as the league commish is involved in all three and don't want to pitch to much of a fit so that everyone thinks im just using my league manager tools to my advantage...

so now what do i do, or can i do to try to get this league out of the 'veto every trade that comes through' mentality?

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: League VETOERS problem...

Postby mak1277 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:35 am

Well, you're pretty much stuck for this year, unfortunately. I don't think rules should be changed once the year starts, even a rule like this.

In the future, I strongly suggest that vetos are done by the commish only, and not by league vote.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby SumG » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:06 pm

I have no problems with the vetoes that were made in your league. Those are two very lopsided deals (though the fact it is a keeper league makes it a little better than a redraft league). The fact remains that one team is getting talent from the top 3 rounds of the draft for guys taken after 10th (in some cases well later).

I think the bigger issue may be that some of the people in your league are willing to accept those kind of trade offers to begin with. If managers are willing to make that bad of a deal, maybe you should find a more competitive league. It'll be no fun for you playing in a league like that, as winning will be a shallow victory, and it won't be fun for them, cause no one likes getting their ass handed to them and they won't become any better.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MrDaveyHavoc » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:47 pm

SumG wrote:I have no problems with the vetoes that were made in your league. Those are two very lopsided deals (though the fact it is a keeper league makes it a little better than a redraft league). The fact remains that one team is getting talent from the top 3 rounds of the draft for guys taken after 10th (in some cases well later).

I think the bigger issue may be that some of the people in your league are willing to accept those kind of trade offers to begin with. If managers are willing to make that bad of a deal, maybe you should find a more competitive league. It'll be no fun for you playing in a league like that, as winning will be a shallow victory, and it won't be fun for them, cause no one likes getting their ass handed to them and they won't become any better.

Why should vetoes be used to legislate stupidity? Let people handle their rosters the way they want to.

Let's say you lined up a trade, Ramon Castro for Matt Wieters. What if your league vetoed it because "Castro is an established vet with playing time and Wieters has never taken an AB in the majors" so the Castro side is giving up too much? Vetoes should be used in cases of clear collusion or player dumping from last place teams who just dont care anymore.
MrDaveyHavoc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SumG » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:05 pm

MrDaveyHavoc wrote:Why should vetoes be used to legislate stupidity? Let people handle their rosters the way they want to.

Let's say you lined up a trade, Ramon Castro for Matt Wieters. What if your league vetoed it because "Castro is an established vet with playing time and Wieters has never taken an AB in the majors" so the Castro side is giving up too much? Vetoes should be used in cases of clear collusion or player dumping from last place teams who just dont care anymore.

Your philosophy works fine when you have a league full of hardcore fantasy baseball junkies, but the fact of the matter is that most leagues aren't lucky enough to be in that position. If you allow trades like this occur, what basically happens is that the more experienced and enthusiastic managers are allowed to abuse the less skilled ones.

When sheep are thrown to the wolves, what usually happens is the sheep don't want to play again a year after being abused, which means you have to find more new people to round out your league, which means you have more inexperienced people in your league, and then the cycle repeats.

If you have an experienced league, and I mean top-to-bottom, then I'd be willing to be more flexible in letting trades through, but when its a clear cut case of an experienced manager preying on the inexperienced, I simply have no patience for it. It jerks like that that ruin countless public leagues and otherwise solid friends and family leagues.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Diamond Miners » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:31 pm

IMO, league veto votes should never be put in place. People are just going to vote to what benefits them the most...makes what they see as their competition, weaker. On that same note, rules should not be changed in season. If it has a minor league it surely is not a public league so what's to say the last trade

Team A Gives: Jayson Werth/Ublado Jimenez
Team B Gives: Alfonso Soriano

is not more about age and keeper status then anything. It is also my opinion that owners should not have to babysit other owners (another reason I'm against league votes). Let them make their own mistakes (to an extent). The only thing the commish needs to watch for is someone allowing themselves to get so far behind that they quit the league then it's to hard for the new owner to be competitive with their new team.
Good luck, feel free to PM me
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner