How is my pitching staff? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

How is my pitching staff? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How is my pitching staff? WHIR

Postby shoelessjoetara » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:48 am

I am in a 14 team mixed roto league. I didn't draft a traditional "ace" because I try to draft SP that can help just as much as an "ace" but doesn't have the name that some fantasy leaguers try to draft early ( Santana, hamels, Lincecum, Sabathia). Besides a pitcher is only as good as his team is when counting wins. I am not trying to make excuses for who I drafted but this is a stratergy that I have used and I have won my league two years in a row. I also try not to draft a highly ranked closer bacause I like to draft closers that will be on noncontending teams because most of there winning games are close and give more save opps for their closer. I also draft a lot of reserve SP to allow me more chances to use better matchups on a weekly basis. Here is my staff. What do ya'll think:

Chad Billingsley
Justin Verlander
Matt Cain
Scott Baker
Gil Meche
Kelvim Escobar
Micah Owings
James McDonald
Brett Anderson
Dallas Braden
David Purcey
Closers:
Mike Gonzalez
Heath Bell

I am thinking of picking up Koji Uehara.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How is my pitching staff? WHIR

Postby shoelessjoetara » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:07 am

Bump
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dave knight » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:42 pm

I consider Billingsley a fantasy ace for this season. Relax, the pitching is fine. You should get plenty of strikeouts with the first few guys, and as long as the high-upside pitchers in the back work out for you then you should be competitive in pitching cats this season.
dave knight
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Hit Factory » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:53 am

I think its a pretty decent staff, you are in a 14 team league so i'm sure the talent on each squad is pretty watered down but you still managed to get some solid pitchers. I like Billingsley and I think he will put together great numbers, Cain is in for a nice year as well. GIl Meche and Scott baker are the wildcards here, if they can be productive you are in good shape. Meche is on a much improved Royals team and should be able to give you a respectable number of wins. It's unclear if Baker can return from his injury and pitch like he did in 2008, however I think he is a terrific young pitcher and if healthy should be a great addition to your staff. Escobar is rehabing and is supposedly doing very well along with having high velocity on his pitches, which is a very good sign. Now for the negatives, Verlander....this guy is extremely shaky and I really don't have any confidence in him. If he has any trade value in your league I would package him with a hitter and ship him off. The other issues are the youth that you have in your rotation, Owings, McDonald, Anderson, Braden, and Purcey. They are unproven guys who could be fine or could tank, your guess is as good as mine. Overall I think it will take some luck, but if all things fall into place you should have a pretty nice pitching staff in 2009.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=373182
Hit Factory
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team