Start 3 or 4 closers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Start 3 or 4 closers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Start 3 or 4 closers?

Postby markball51 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:07 pm

I am in your standard 10 team 5x5 mixed, 23 player rotisserie league. I drafted 4 closers(Valverde, Broxton, Gregg, Wilson), and 5 starters (Harden, Greinke, Myers, Lowe, Bedard), and have 2 starters on my bench (Meche, S. Baker).

My question is, should I use 3 or 4 closers in my everyday lineup? All other teams in the league have only 2 or 3 starters. So I have somewhat of an advantage in the saves category, however I could easily fall behind in the K's and W's categories.

I am a fantasy newbie, so I was wondering if anyone has an opinion based on experience in a situation like this? Thanks for your help.
markball51
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 15
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Start 3 or 4 closers?

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:16 pm

I'm in the same boat (Soria, Valverde, Bell and Villanueva...not by design as much as winning them at the auction) and am going to just play them all the time. I've had stud closers before and found it hard to predict when they were going to pitch since you never know when their team will stumble into a situation where you'll pick up the SV? Even the top guys usually are only going to get a couple, maybe 3 ops/ week at the best, which is not even a start. They don't do you much good on your bench? Do you have enough slots in to use them all? I would probably bench a stud closer over a starter, depending on the matchup or other variables, because the starter will rack up more K for you in a 5x5. Maybe a W vs. SV consideration might come into play depending on the breaks? Most of the time when I've had stud closers they are usually good for 1-2 SV/ week and that's about it. An SP will likely only get 1-2 W too, but the W seem a bit scarcer, since they also depend on the SP team putting enough runs on the board to get the W?

I can't think of any reason to bench a closer though?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Re: Start 3 or 4 closers?

Postby The_Natural » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:23 pm

markball51 wrote:I am in your standard 10 team 5x5 mixed, 23 player rotisserie league. I drafted 4 closers(Valverde, Broxton, Gregg, Wilson), and 5 starters (Harden, Greinke, Myers, Lowe, Bedard), and have 2 starters on my bench (Meche, S. Baker).

My question is, should I use 3 or 4 closers in my everyday lineup? All other teams in the league have only 2 or 3 starters. So I have somewhat of an advantage in the saves category, however I could easily fall behind in the K's and W's categories.

I am a fantasy newbie, so I was wondering if anyone has an opinion based on experience in a situation like this? Thanks for your help.


You usually don't have all your starters starting on the same day, so you will be able to use all your closers unless it's a weekly league.
The_Natural
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 310
Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Start 3 or 4 closers?

Postby mak1277 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:28 pm

The_Natural wrote:
markball51 wrote:I am in your standard 10 team 5x5 mixed, 23 player rotisserie league. I drafted 4 closers(Valverde, Broxton, Gregg, Wilson), and 5 starters (Harden, Greinke, Myers, Lowe, Bedard), and have 2 starters on my bench (Meche, S. Baker).

My question is, should I use 3 or 4 closers in my everyday lineup? All other teams in the league have only 2 or 3 starters. So I have somewhat of an advantage in the saves category, however I could easily fall behind in the K's and W's categories.

I am a fantasy newbie, so I was wondering if anyone has an opinion based on experience in a situation like this? Thanks for your help.


You usually don't have all your starters starting on the same day, so you will be able to use all your closers unless it's a weekly league.


What he said.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 4569
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Start 3 or 4 closers?

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:51 pm

With RPs that are the closer for their team, in roto, you should start them everyday. The goal of roto is to accumulate stats, and a closer in the bench is worthless. If you have more than everyone else, you can jump off to a nice lead in the category, and be in the situation of being able to trade your excess for what you need.
Image
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3412
(Past Year: 67)
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Don't call it a comeback.

Re: Start 3 or 4 closers?

Postby markball51 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:05 pm

Yes it is a weekly league. If it was a daily league, I would obviously just sub in whoever is starting that day, but can't do that here. Plus everytime I bring someone up from my bench it costs $3 for a transaction.

Yeah I was thinking of getting a lead in saves, and then be able to trade them off. Just wanted to know if I was making a big mistake, and it was obvious that i need to have 6 starters in my weekly lineup.
markball51
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 15
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Start 3 or 4 closers?

Postby 5 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:17 pm

markball51 wrote:Yes it is a weekly league.

...

Yeah I was thinking of getting a lead in saves, and then be able to trade them off. Just wanted to know if I was making a big mistake, and it was obvious that i need to have 6 starters in my weekly lineup.


In most weeks (including the first one), I'd go with the four closers and choose your pitchers based on matchups.
Too bad you don't have the ability to go with five closers...go check out Greinke's stats when pitching at U.S. Cellular. :-t

Just curious...in the original post you said "All other teams in the league have only 2 or 3 starters". You meant closers, right?
5
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2296
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Start 3 or 4 closers?

Postby markball51 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:20 pm

yeah my bad, meant closers
markball51
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 15
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Start 3 or 4 closers?

Postby The_Natural » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:48 am

markball51 wrote:Yes it is a weekly league. If it was a daily league, I would obviously just sub in whoever is starting that day, but can't do that here. Plus everytime I bring someone up from my bench it costs $3 for a transaction.

Yeah I was thinking of getting a lead in saves, and then be able to trade them off. Just wanted to know if I was making a big mistake, and it was obvious that i need to have 6 starters in my weekly lineup.


That sounds more like a gambling league then a fantasy baseball league.

I'm not familiar with that.
The_Natural
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 310
Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact