Return to Baseball Leftovers

huff or palmeiro or thomas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:08 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:just a quick question here - could someone please post the park ratings between TEX and BAL. I keep hearing Tex is a better hitters park, and would like to see the numbers to substantiate that claim.
Thanks

I have got the stats for 2002 when they changed Camden Yards dimensions. Over that season the % difference effect on runs was 23%. Texas was given a +11% rating effect on runs and Baltimore a -12%.

Baltimore was 4th worst rated ahead of LA, San Fran and Seattle.

Texas was 5th best rated behind Colorado (a whopping 50%), Kansas (who changed last year), Houston and Arizona.

hmmm - its pretty tough to guage a parks rating on one yr, so could someone please help us out here - maybe a 3 - or better still - 5 yr avg?

Im willing to bet the 2 ballparks are a lot closer than 2002 numbers indicate.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:13 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:Palmeiro put up identical avg. / Slg / OPS numbers away from home last season to that of Helms and Spiezio over the season. I was using that as an example as to what you could expect from him hitting away from Texas all year.

And if Palmeiro was only going to play 82 games this year and they were all away from Texas, you might have a case. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:25 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:

ummm, I think he's saying the same stuff as 90% of others because it makes the most sense.
How do you say he's in MAJOR decline?
And if I'm not mistaken Baltimore is a hitters park as well.ere. But what ever. I hope everyone thinks like you and I can pick up Raffy in the 15th round and have a very good back up 1b.

You didn't give this post a lot of thought did you?

If 90% of people are saying the same thing and it makes the most sense then how the hell can you hope that everyone thinks like me and you can draft Raffy!!!

Secondly I never once used the words MAJOR decline but if you took the time to have a look at his HR avg. OPS and Slg stats the last 3 years you will realise there has been significant decline.

Thirdly you are badly mistaken. Baltimore is far from a hitters park anymore. In fact it was the fourth worst hitters park in 2002.

Lastly, if I could get Raffy in Round 15 in drafts I would consider him as an adequate backup as well but I can't and I doubt if you can either. If you can then perhaps a few more people do indeed think like me.

I didn't give it much thought? Well you're the person that put out the 90% number. I just said I HOPED people start thinking like you so I can get Raffy later than he should go. I can't understnad how people can say one of the most consistent players in major league history is going to all of a sudden drop down to levels they've never been before.

I also like the Barry Bonds reference. Pretty funny stuff. He hit 28 homers less last year than he did 2 years ago. And now hehas even less protection in his lineup. I predict Bonds is going to hit like Q. McCrackin this year.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:41 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
P.S. Bonds HR's have dropped by 38% over the last 2 years and he's 2 months older than Palmeiro. It's time for him to retire as well, right??

Bonds HR's dropped from 73 in 2001 to 46 in 2002 but his OBP rose dramatically and his OPS increased slightly as well during the same time, so that doesn't tell the full picture.

With Palmeiro his numbers decreased right accross the board.

Another bad example dude.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:43 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

hmmm - its pretty tough to guage a parks rating on one yr, so could someone please help us out here - maybe a 3 - or better still - 5 yr avg?

Im willing to bet the 2 ballparks are a lot closer than 2002 numbers indicate.

No way you can do that with Camden Yards. 2002 was the first year it changed so 2 years stats is as much as you will get.

Texas stats by the way were over 3 years
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers