Return to Baseball Leftovers

huff or palmeiro or thomas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:39 am

Lofunzo wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:Raffy should have retired last year.


While he is certainly not in the prime of his career, it is hard to say that someone should have retired when they hit 38 HR with 112 RBI.

He also has 10 straight non-strike years with at least 37 HR and 104 RBI. Not bad for someone who should have retired.


No it's easy to say. He will be saying it too by years end.

His overall numbers declined markedly last year and that came on top of a significant decline the previous year as well. He will turn 40 during the season and he is moving from the second best hitters park in the majors to one of the more difficult. His stats away from home in 2003 were .240 Avg Slg .452 and OPS .790 Those numbers are in line with 1B guys like Wes Helms and Scott Spiezio (anyone draft them in your league?)

He has had a great career but once again it will be a shame not to see a player of his calibre go out while they are still competing well at the top level.

It's a bit like movie sequels. They keep making them until they don't make money anymore.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4768
(Past Year: -27)
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:20 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:His stats away from home in 2003 were .240 Avg Slg .452 and OPS .790 Those numbers are in line with 1B guys like Wes Helms and Scott Spiezio (anyone draft them in your league?)


That's 1 of the craziest things that I have ever heard. Of course his away numbers are worse than his total numbers. That's because they only play half of their games at home. Everyone, including Pujols, is affected by that. Pujols has worse numbers on the road. Should he retire?? You can split anyone's numbers and find someone with similar stats. The fact is that Palmeiro is in the decline and has played at hitter's parks for years but he shouldn't retire just yet.

Helton's road numbers aren't great either. Should he leave with Raffy?? I know that I exaggerated this but I just had to show you how crazy you were being.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23082
(Past Year: -616)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby canibus » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:24 am

Yeah man, let's not be rediculous.
Stats are just numbers.
Comparing him to Spiezio is just stupid.
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 978
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 3 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: behind the dugout

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:14 am

Lofunzo wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:His stats away from home in 2003 were .240 Avg Slg .452 and OPS .790 Those numbers are in line with 1B guys like Wes Helms and Scott Spiezio (anyone draft them in your league?)


That's 1 of the craziest things that I have ever heard. Of course his away numbers are worse than his total numbers. That's because they only play half of their games at home. Everyone, including Pujols, is affected by that. Pujols has worse numbers on the road. Should he retire?? You can split anyone's numbers and find someone with similar stats. The fact is that Palmeiro is in the decline and has played at hitter's parks for years but he shouldn't retire just yet.

Helton's road numbers aren't great either. Should he leave with Raffy?? I know that I exaggerated this but I just had to show you how crazy you were being.


Conveniently you are missing three very important points I made.

1 is the guy will be 40 this year.

2 he has been in decline the last 2 years (especially last year)

3 he his now hitting away from Texas ALL SEASON so his away numbers last year play a huge part in my reasoning. By you comparing that to Helton and Pujols who both hit better than .320 away from home last year is just plain dumb, never mind the fact that one is in the prime of his career and the other could be the best hitter of all time.

You have the audacity to call my well reasoned comments crazy, this coming from a guy that has five TV's in his lounge.

Enough said.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4768
(Past Year: -27)
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:20 am

canibus wrote:Yeah man, let's not be rediculous.
Stats are just numbers.
Comparing him to Spiezio is just stupid.


No it is just common sense at this time in his career and with those rapidly declining stats. He will put up numbers this year not much better than Spiezio or Helms.

Remember where you heard that first.
;-)
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4768
(Past Year: -27)
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:26 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:Conveniently you are missing three very important points I made.

1 is the guy will be 40 this year.

2 he has been in decline the last 2 years (especially last year)

3 he his now hitting away from Texas ALL SEASON so his away numbers last year play a huge part in my reasoning. By you comparing that to Helton and Pujols who both hit better than .320 away from home last year is just plain dumb, never mind the fact that one is in the prime of his career and the other could be the best hitter of all time.

You have the audacity to call my well reasoned comments crazy, this coming from a guy that has five TV's in his lounge.

Enough said.


You are missing what my point was. Yes he is in decline. I agree with you. But when you decline from 45 to 38 HR, that's still good enough to keep playing. He is going from Texas to Baltimore. I expect him to continue to put up good numbers there. You also mention age. Is now a good time to tell you that Mr. Bonds is 2 months older than him?? Should he retire as well??

Finally, WTF is wrong with having 5 TV's in my basement?? I professionally installed them all myself and they look damn good.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23082
(Past Year: -616)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:27 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:
canibus wrote:Yeah man, let's not be rediculous.
Stats are just numbers.
Comparing him to Spiezio is just stupid.


No it is just common sense at this time in his career and with those rapidly declining stats. He will put up numbers this year not much better than Spiezio or Helms.

Remember where you heard that first.
;-)


And when Palmeiro towers over those 2 this year, remember where you heard that first. ;-)
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23082
(Past Year: -616)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:35 am

You keep shooting yourself in the foot.

Another very bad example, Bonds is not in decline.


[quote="Lofunzo

Finally, WTF is wrong with having 5 TV's in my basement?? I professionally installed them all myself and they look damn good.
[/quote]

I rest my case.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4768
(Past Year: -27)
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:43 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:You keep shooting yourself in the foot.

Another very bad example, Bonds is not in decline.


[quote="Lofunzo

Finally, WTF is wrong with having 5 TV's in my basement?? I professionally installed them all myself and they look damn good.


If that example is entirely bad, then why did you even mention age and not just that his career is in decline?? 8-o

I don't know what you want me to say. Is his career in decline?? Yes. Is he still a nice later value pick at 1B capable of putting up good numbers?? Definitely.

Just curious.......What kind of numbers do you see from him this year??
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23082
(Past Year: -616)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Fluidoz » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:58 am

Huff
Fluidoz
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 132
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 7 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chavez Revine

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron