When do Wieters and Price get called up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When do Wieters and Price get called up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When do Wieters and Price get called up?

Postby bsblallstr » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Im thinking Wieters will be up within the month and Price will come up the first time a SP gets hurt. i think Price will be up after a month for sure though. What are everybodies opinions on the matter?
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When do Wieters and Price get called up?

Postby RugbyD » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:35 pm

however long it takes for their team to push back free agency another year. O's have zero reason to bring him up before then. Price maybe, but doubtful.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby chinch sacs » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:19 pm

RugbyD wrote:however long it takes for their team to push back free agency another year. O's have zero reason to bring him up before then. Price maybe, but doubtful.

Isnt that like June 1st
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ballpark Frank » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Aside from Christmas, April 17th is the most popular date on the calendar for Orioles fans. That's believed to be the earliest possible date that the O's can bring Wieters up and save that extra year. Here's a good description of the situation from an Orioles board that I frequent for any of you that are fuzzy on the details

Actually, this year it is 11 days, not 12. A year = 172 service days, meaning every day you are on the major league roster (including the major league DL). Therefore, the way you figure this out is by determining what is the last day of the regular season, and then counting backwards 171 days to determine the first day he could be called up and not accrue a full year. This year it happens to be 11 days into the season; in another year, it might be 10, or 12, or some other number depending on how far apart the first and last day of the season are.

The season ends Oct. 4.

4 days in October
30 days in September
31 days in August
31 days in July
30 days in June
31 days in May
14 days in April = 171 total days.

Thus April 17 is the magic day this year when it's impossible to accrue a full year of service time. By waiting until that day to bring up Wieters, the O's ensure he cannot be a free agent until after the 2015 season.

The Super 2 thing is different. The top 1/6 of all players who are closest to having accrued 3 years of service time are eligible for arbitration even though they haven't accrued a full 3 years. Thus, the date to call up a player and have him not qualify as a Super 2 can vary a lot from year to year, as it simply is relative to when other players were called up, not a fixed number. In the past, 128 days has been the least amount of time necessary to be a Super 2, while 140 has been the most. So, a team wanting to be pretty certain that its player won't be a Super 2 would probably make sure the player would accrue 125 days or service time or less (to give a little cushion). So early June would be the target.
Ballpark Frank
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:27 pm

Is it wrong to hope Gregg Zaun suffers a big enough injury that sends him to the DL so Wieters can get called up like what happened with Longoria and Aybar last year? I have both Wieters and Mauer in a keeper and really would not have cared if Mauer misses twice as much time as he will if I can fill the spot with Wieters and not AJ Pierzynski.

Price is tougher, I'm sure Tampa Bay has enough arms lying around to wait on him until June 1 when someone gets hurt.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Cyclone177 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:28 pm

Very nice explanation. That is earlier than I could have ever hoped!
Cyclone177
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:18 pm

If that is indeed true about Weiters, that is great news for his owners. I thought he'd be in the minors for atleast a month or two.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 5 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:20 pm

Ballpark Frank wrote:Aside from Christmas, April 17th is the most popular date on the calendar for Orioles fans. That's believed to be the earliest possible date that the O's can bring Wieters up and save that extra year.

That's the first mention I've seen of a concrete date. That's good news. Thanks for the info, Frank.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Galileo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:46 pm

5 wrote:
Ballpark Frank wrote:Aside from Christmas, April 17th is the most popular date on the calendar for Orioles fans. That's believed to be the earliest possible date that the O's can bring Wieters up and save that extra year.

That's the first mention I've seen of a concrete date. That's good news. Thanks for the info, Frank.

This is anything but a "concrete" date in terms of when Wieters actually gets the call.
C- Santana
1B - Huff
2B - Wigginton
3B - Longoria
SS - Tulowitzki
OF - Posednik
OF - Suzuki
OF - J. Upton
DH - Lind
Bench: C. Pena, Morneau, Prado, Bay, Barmes
SP: Oswalt, Hammels, Nolasco, Weaver, Shields, Lackey, Vargas, Volquez
RP: Soriano, Perez
Galileo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 5 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:09 am

Galileo wrote:
5 wrote:

This is anything but a "concrete" date in terms of when Wieters actually gets the call.

True, Galileo, true. I meant it's not the maybe May or maybe June thing.

If that post is right, then it all comes down to whether the Orioles want to improve their chances of winning...and giving the fans someone else to root for. The radio spots for spring training games have already mentioned Wieters...something to look forward to, ya know.
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers