Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Postby kab21 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:39 am

Yoda wrote:It was a bandbox before so I'm not sure what has changed. Is the foul territory still the same? That could make a huge difference.

Bandbox for lefties but not so much for righties.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaShiz23 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:36 pm

Does the field face the same direction as the old one? If not, does the wind direction in NY swirl (like Chicago), or always blow in the same direction?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Maris09 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:29 pm

All I know is I saw a couple fly balls go up, and almost immediately felt like the bleachers were right there :-D
Those bleachers in right field look pretty cool. Kind of old school.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Yoda wrote:It was a bandbox before so I'm not sure what has changed. Is the foul territory still the same? That could make a huge difference.

The backstop is closer to home than the old park but the distance from the foul lines to the dugouts is greater, so overall it has a larger foul territory.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby neoforce » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:22 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:Does the field face the same direction as the old one? If not, does the wind direction in NY swirl (like Chicago), or always blow in the same direction?

It is pretty close to the same orientation. But still too soon to tell if wind patterns might be different due to differences in construction. For example,the new stadium has an internal and external set of walls to form a mall between them. The new stadium has a huge set of scoreboard/advertising/diamondvision screens that may change wind patterns. The "black" batters eye in the new stadium is not seats but a glass wall from a restaurant. All of these could cause differences.

As I said before, it is too soon to tell. But odds are the new stadium plays pretty close to the old one. A bandbox for lefties, a death valley for righties. Pretty much the way it was designed for the Babe, except back then the death valley was really, really deep.

Here are some pictures of the stadium orientation. The old stadium is in the top or left of these pictures.

There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby silverZ » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:05 am

Cool aerial shots.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby neoforce » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:04 pm

So, I am a firm believer in waiting for the numbers to prove things out... That two exhibition games and now the third MLB game is way too soon to know anything...

But boy, it does seem that the ball is flying out of the new Yankee Stadium. Tex just hit one off the end of his bat that made it out without a problem.

Its only spring, and who knows if there are just some strange wind patterns. But these games seem to be an early indicator that the ball might indeed carry incredibly well in the new Yankee Stadium.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:22 pm

I think the balls are going to fly out of right center field. balls don't seem to be carrying as much to left, but again, this is just a few games.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby walkoffblast » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:11 pm

Matthias wrote:I'm pretty sure it's the same dimensions as the old one.

Am I the only one not buying that right center is the same dimensions? It sure does not look like the fence out there gets as deep as it used to be as quickly. Any coincidence such dimensions might help Arod chase the milestone?
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbauer2485 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:42 pm

I've heard several times already that the walls are 5-10 feet closer in right field (even though the dimension numbers on the wall say the same). The right field deck also has a larger hole in it, which might improve the airflow. I don't think any official sources have done this research though.

So many homeruns have been looking like they would be lazy fly balls, and they just keep going, it's ridiculous.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers