Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Postby Maris09 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:11 pm

From what I've seen, balls seem to really be flying in that new park.
Last edited by Maris09 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 30)
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm pretty sure it's the same dimensions as the old one.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:18 pm

Maris09 wrote:From what I've seen, balls seem to really be flying in that new park.


Dunno about NYC, but there are gusts of 40 MPH here in PA, so if it's like that there, too, it may not be the way it plays all the time.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Re: Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:22 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Maris09 wrote:From what I've seen, balls seem to really be flying in that new park.


Dunno about NYC, but there are gusts of 40 MPH here in PA, so if it's like that there, too, it may not be the way it plays all the time.


Yep, it is quite windy here. The wind is blowing out to right field (where Tex hit his two shots). A lazy fly ball by Cody Ransom even carried all the way to dead center.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 57)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Postby neoforce » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Matthias wrote:I'm pretty sure it's the same dimensions as the old one.


The dimensions are indeed exactly the same. There are other factors that can influence things. but I doubt it will play that much differently

And clearly, two exhibition games are way too soon to know.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 1128
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 17 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:55 pm

neoforce wrote:
Matthias wrote:I'm pretty sure it's the same dimensions as the old one.


The dimensions are indeed exactly the same. There are other factors that can influence things. but I doubt it will play that much differently

And clearly, two exhibition games are way too soon to know.

Agreed.

The wind seems to be fierce everywhere today.
Image
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3411
(Past Year: 66)
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Don't call it a comeback.

Re: Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:32 am

You never know how a standium with play. It's all about the wind and what it does.

They can build it too the same dimensions to make the fan feel good but no stadium is alike on how the wind flows within it and how it will effect the play of the game.
THE TERMINATOR
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 112
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Postby BigZ38 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:02 am

I can't imagine a stadium with the same dimensions built a block away...and I'm not certain but I think in the same direction?..could play any differently. If built in a different direction, there could be some effect...but when I was watching the game today for the first inning I watched I forgot it was a new stadium until they started talking about it. To a non-Yankee fan, it looks like an exact replica
Image
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 717
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Postby Matthias » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:18 am

BigZ38 wrote:I can't imagine a stadium with the same dimensions built a block away...and I'm not certain but I think in the same direction?..could play any differently. If built in a different direction, there could be some effect...but when I was watching the game today for the first inning I watched I forgot it was a new stadium until they started talking about it. To a non-Yankee fan, it looks like an exact replica

+1.

The other variables (wind, location, orientation) are all so much the same that I think it's pretty silly to be discussing them.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone else thinking new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox?

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:44 am

It was a bandbox before so I'm not sure what has changed. Is the foul territory still the same? That could make a huge difference.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, ayebatter, germani40, silverZ and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Apr. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Boston
(11:05 am)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Arizona at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact