My first ever Fantasy Baseball team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My first ever Fantasy Baseball team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My first ever Fantasy Baseball team

Postby Delino Deshields » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi guys I am new to fantasy baseball and I am on a yahoo 16 teams league, head to head 5x5 format. We can have 25 players on our roster. Everyday we can start our linup along with 5 SP and 4 RP.

My batting linup

1B / 3B Jorge Cantu
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Miguel Tejada
3B Alex Gordon
C Joe Mauer
LF Ryan Braun
CF/LF/RF Jacoby Ellsbury
RF Magglio Ordonez
Util/RF Bobby Abreu
BN 1B/3B Hank Blalock
BN C Yadier Molina
BN SS Edgar Renteria
BN CF/LF Brett Gardner

I think I miss some HR potentiel but all aound it looks pretty solid !

But I like to have one backup at every position. Now I am only missing a backup on second base with Aaron Hill and Emmanuel Burris available on waiver I am tempting the possibility of releasing one of Tejada or Renteria for Burris so I could have a backup at every position.

Starters

Nolasco
Josh Johnson
Greinke
Matt Cain
Randy Johnson
Mark Bueherle
David Price

Relief (Hold oriented)

JJ Putz
Jensen Lewis
JP Howell
Ocatovio Dotel

I have a lot of young pitchers but a lot of potential, a lot of good pitchers on bad teams..My relief is based on hold only since I decided to let go the Saves in favor of the Holds who are as much important as the saves and people keep overpaying for saves....

Feel free to comment my team and if you have any advice of tips for me...They will be welcomed
Delino Deshields
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My first ever Fantasy Baseball team

Postby Big League Chew » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:55 pm

#1 rule of fantasy baseball....don't back up everybody!!! There is nothing wrong with having backup guys, but you should be ready to go with your lineup on a regular basis without replacements. Here's the reason... You're going to find out really really quick in a H2H league that you need pitching on your bench. Think about it. You have the hitters that play almost every day. Your SP will maybe play 2x a week. With the staggering pitching if you had a few more guys then you could dominate in areas like W, K, and QS (if you have that category..I play in a 8x8 so I can't remember). You're starters are pretty good. You don't have a dominating guy, but you should do good. I'm not a big fan of punting, and therefore I think that you should get some save guys. Here's something else that you should think about. Get rid of 2 or 3 guys that are average for a stud! Find other teams with weaknesses, and then give them offers. I love doing 2 for 1 trades. This frees up my team for more pitching or that new stud that I can grab off of the wire without a hard decision. Plus this makes your team better. Good luck with your first team. I learned all of this the hard way last year (my first year). In my 2 12 team leagues one being a keepers, i made 11th and 12th, but I'm going for it all in both leagues this year, and I have the teams to do it.
Big League Chew
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Your offense looks fantastic for a 16 team league. That's usually the best way to go about things. Hitters are safer bets and are also typically valued more highly than equal level pitchers (for good reason). So IMO you certainly took the right approach in your draft.

Even so, I'd feel a lot better about your team if you had a true ace. Like you pointed out you have a lot of quality pitchers with a decent amount of upside, but you don't have a pitcher or two capable of carrying your team should some of your other pitchers go on a cold streak. I'm also against completely punting any one category. While you should win holds most weeks, holds in general are even more volatile than saves. So you could still lose the category occasionally if your opponent's RPs have more hold opportunities in a given week.

At this point an ace would probably be tough to get without sacrificing too much of your offense. I'd suggest waiting a couple of weeks for a reliable top starting pitcher to struggle (at least a few elite players will start out slow, just keep your eyes open) then go in for him at decreased value (just do your best to hold out until then). Also, while you don't need to make a trade for a closer, you really should have one or two on your team to give you some chance at the category. Keep your eyes open for a decent option on the WW (closers rotate fairly often, so this shouldn't be terribly difficult).

Just work on improving your pitching a bit. If you can do that through a good trade or some decent WW moves, you'll be in great shape.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Delino Deshields » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:31 pm

Thank you guys for you advices it it very helpful.

I will be looking to add another but look at the pitchers still awailable on waiver

Phil Hughes
Clay Buchholz
Kyle Davies
Micah Owings
Braden Looper
Bartolo Colón
Jorge De La Rosa (also RP)
Kevin Millwood
Andrew Miller (also RP)
Alfredo Aceves
Ramon Ramirez
Yusmeiro Petit
Chris Sampson
Dan Giese
Chan Ho Park (also Rp)
Ryan Rowland-Smith
Kyle Lohse
Jason Schmidt
Nick Adenhart
Carlos Silva
Ross Ohlendorf
Brian Moehler
Gio González
Mike Hampton
J.A. Happ
Jason Marquis
Tom Glavine
Sean Gallagher
Joel Piñeiro
Nate Robertson
Zach Duke
Brian Bannister
Brandon McCarthy
Daniel Cabrera
Shairon Martis
Jeff Francis
Scott Richmond
Jason Hammel
Jarrod Washburn
Kyle Kendrick
Cha Seung Baek
Tim Redding

If someone in this list jump into your eyes tell me !

Is there any of those arms that as good value ? I could let go a guy like Renteria or Gardner
Delino Deshields
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big League Chew » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:40 pm

I don't really like any of these guys. I'll definitely tell you not to get Lohse. How about Pettite? He's normally on the waivers or in the free agent pool. He's still a good pitcher. Also, check out Marshall (SP with cubs) he's their #5 guy and being 5th on one of the best teams in the league in pitching is something to be said.
Big League Chew
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Delino Deshields » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Marshall and Petite are already taken. Remember we are in a 16 team head to head.

None of the guys on the list could provide me anything good !?!?!
Delino Deshields
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Delino Deshields » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:53 pm

I just want to let you know guys that I did a HUGE blockbuster deal. Let me know what you think of it

I aquired

Miguel Cabrera 1B / 3B
Lastings Milledge CF
Kelly Johnson 2B
Matt Capps RP

for

Brandon Phillips 2B
Jacoby Ellsbury CF
Miguel Tejada SS
Jorge Cantú 1B

I needed a closer I got one in Capps
Kelly Johnson and Lastings Milledge look like decent players to complete my linup and I got the the big fish in Cabrera. Renteria will take over at SS to replace Tejada.

I got the best player in the deal but I gave some depth to the other guy.

What do you guys think about my trade ?
Delino Deshields
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big League Chew » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:25 am

WOW...you basically took that guy's manhood. That is rediculous. You got every better player in the deal. Wow. Nicely done. You're going to like this at the end of the year when Miggy is a possibility for MVP. Good job.
Big League Chew
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Kuji » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:50 am

Big League Chew wrote:WOW...you basically took that guy's manhood. That is rediculous. You got every better player in the deal. Wow. Nicely done. You're going to like this at the end of the year when Miggy is a possibility for MVP. Good job.

Makes me wanna join that league :O
Kuji
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team