1st year dynasty help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

1st year dynasty help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1st year dynasty help

Postby happyturtle » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:53 am

Hey all,

First time doing this type of league. We draft 27 players, 22 on major league roster , 5 minor league roster, all are drafted together. 16 team league. I am wondering about few things:

1. when should I start targetting top minor leaguers? last 5 rounds? or middle rounds to ensure I get the top ones. or even early rounds to land guys like Weiters, Price, Laporta, hanson etc
2. should I just use the Cafe top 50 list, or should I target minor leaguers who have a good chance to play this year.
3. i have read that most advise to get hitters over pitchers, but it also seems like the majority of top prospects are pitchers.
4. any general advice is always welcome

Thanks!
happyturtle Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 1st year dynasty help

Postby AEMRICH » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:43 am

you don't have have a separate draft for minor leaguers and one for major leaguers? if not I would first suggest implementing that. If that isn't an option then this would be my advice: Target David Price and Matt Wieters between rounds 13-15, both are elite and likely to play this year, next guys I would look at a few rounds later are Travis Snider, Cam Maybin, Colby Rasmus, Porcello, McCutcheon, Fowler, all likely to make an impact this year, these guys I would target between round 17-21. Since it is a dynast league where you can keep all players year to year minor leaguers have more value than in a keeper league- your minors will be key to success in the future, overall hitters tend to pan out better than pitchers, but that does not mean you should ignore pitchers. My other advice would be since you only keep 5 player on your minors don't pay as much attention to prospects who are years away like Ynoa, Tim Beckham, Triunfel, Villalona, Flores- these guys are still good prospects but have a long way to go
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby happyturtle » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:05 pm

draft is soon and settings cant change now.

I was thinking guys like Price, Weiters etc would go much, much sooner than rnd 12 in a 16 team league. I value them both around pick #100 but since its a keeper I was thinking they would be going WAY earlier than that. Like 50's or 60's

I like your advice on targetting minor leaguers who will make an impact this year though. Thanks
happyturtle Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RugbyD » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:18 pm

happyturtle wrote:draft is soon and settings cant change now.

I was thinking guys like Price, Weiters etc would go much, much sooner than rnd 12 in a 16 team league. I value them both around pick #100 but since its a keeper I was thinking they would be going WAY earlier than that. Like 50's or 60's

I like your advice on targetting minor leaguers who will make an impact this year though. Thanks

Someone like Wieters should definitely go higher. Don't get too worked up about MiLB pitcehrs. Lots of nothing comes out of those compared to whatever successes do come out. Are you olny allowed to have 5 MiLBs or can you keep more on your roster? If you can only have 5, save 3 or 4 of them for players that are close to MLB-ready unless you have a strong enough MLB lineup that you can sit on guys like Villalona or Skipworth for a while.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby AEMRICH » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:34 pm

i missed the part about it being 16 teams for 12 teams even in dynasty i thought 13-15 is appropriate, however in 16 team i would look much earlier than that
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby kab21 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:04 am

I'm going to guess there will be alot of reaching for prospects in your draft. While I would love to have some of these guys I would just as soon build a team with 25-30 yr olds and an occasional 30+ player. And then grab a few prospects that were underappreciated.

I would not be surprised if Price and Wieters easily go in the top 50. I also would not be surprised if most of the players in the top 25 prospect list go in the top 200.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby happyturtle » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:55 am

I ended up reaching more than I should have. I like my team but I think I overdid it on the young guys. I doubt I will contend this year.

I got Bruce, J. Upton, Gordon, Weiters, Heyward, Alvarez, Tillman as my best young players.
happyturtle Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball