How many platooners on your team is too many? Ex: Rockies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How many platooners on your team is too many? Ex: Rockies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How many platooners on your team is too many? Ex: Rockies

Postby chem » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:24 am

I'm in an 8-team NL-Only weekly (keyword: WEEKLY lineup locks) H2H 5x5 league where the hitting categories are hits, R, RBI, OBP, and SLG.

I have the chance to acquire the entire Colorado Rockies lineup. I Helton, Barmes, Tulo, Iannetta, Hawpe, Spilly, Seth Smith, and Fowler. Helton and Barmes are behind Pujols and Utley on my roster, so they're filling the extra infield slots. I have other OF too of course. But I could also possibly acquire Garrett Atkins and Ian Stewart in very realistic, reasonable trades (essentially trading my current 3B and UTIL slots).

The question is... should I? At what point does having too many people in a platoon become a serious problem for getting counting stats such as hits and runs? Stewart is going to steal at bats from Atkins this year, no doubt. And perhaps Helton and Barmes too. But, the splits are not known. Fowler will steal AB from either Smith or Spilborghs (maybe both), but that's less clear yet. I can always part with Smith or Fowler depending on how the season develops.

I mean, other teams have some players in a platoon too. Just not as many. But if someone goes down in an injury (like a Rockies IF or OF), then I could have the natural backup already sitting there. Anyone have opinions on this?
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How many platooners on your team is too many? Ex: Rockies

Postby chem » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:02 pm

Hello,

Still hoping for some input on this from fantasy vets. I really have no idea what I'm doing, and this is an unusual question to be faced with, but it's fun!
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:12 pm

8-o Why would you want every Rockie in the first place?

You want as few platoon players as possible unless a) you can accurately predict when they will hit and b) you never wind up having both platoon guys benched. In an NL-only or AL-only it's basically a must to have platoon players in your lineup, but even so you should try to have a full-time player as a backup even if he does suck ass (show me Jack Wilson!).

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby chem » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:8-o Why would you want every Rockie in the first place?

Well, I have a bit of comedy going on, pretending that I'm Eric Cartman from Southpark (Colorado!) managing my team. But, on a more serious note, I ended up with Tulo, Helton, and Iannetta from the draft, and Barmes and Seth Smith from the waiver wire. Once I realized I could possibly "collect the whole lineup", this idea became very intriguing. To that end, I just made a trade of F. Lewis/J. Hermida/J. Blanton to get Hawpe+Spilborghs, then grabbed Fowler off the wire for my bench. Colorado is predicted to score a lot of runs this year (and our league is NL-Only), and everyone on the Rockies is having a good spring, so it seems like a not-totally-crazy idea.

You want as few platoon players as possible unless a) you can accurately predict when they will hit and b) you never wind up having both platoon guys benched. In an NL-only or AL-only it's basically a must to have platoon players in your lineup, but even so you should try to have a full-time player as a backup even if he does suck ass (show me Jack Wilson!).

Yeah... I can definitely satisfy (b), but not sure about (a), since nobody knows when/where Stewart and Fowler will be playing just yet. And since it's a weekly league I can't tinker with the lineup each day. Is 85% of Atkins the same as 100% of R. Zimmerman? Ian Stewart equal to Chad Tracy? These are the sort of questions I face. If it's not a big difference, I may do this just for the sheer style. But if it would torpedo my team's chances of winning, bleh, I can't give up just yet.

So... I'm looking for more veteran input about the impact of using platooners in 5x5 weekly H2H leagues. Thanks for your reply! Tell me more :)
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby West » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:02 pm

I can see platoon players having value in daily leagues. For example, I've thought about having a few Kelly Shoppach/John Baker platoons in both my leagues because I failed to grab a decent catcher early in one and got Weiters in the others. But platoon players in a weekly lineup just doesn't make sense. As for the all-Rockies team, if you don't mind losing then that's a great strategy.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby chem » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:55 pm

West wrote:But platoon players in a weekly lineup just doesn't make sense. As for the all-Rockies team, if you don't mind losing then that's a great strategy.

Dang, that's harsh. :( Thanks for the reply, though, I value every single one.

If you have a few platoon players on your team in a weekly league, but only start people that are getting the larger half of the platoon, well... that seems unavoidable in NL-only leagues. And the team would have every Rockies starter, but not *only* Rockies (right now it also has 3 Cardinals including Pujols, a Phillie and a D-Back), and I wouldn't start the Rockies which are getting the worse halves of the platoon. Since 2 of the 5 batter scoring categories are non-AB based (OBP and SLG), I thought maybe this would be feasible. A full-time starter that's a LH batter may have bad splits against LHP, leading to most of his H/R/RBI coming against RHP anyway (example: Hawpe).

Weekly H2H players, what are your thoughts on this? I guess I am leaning against getting Atkins and Stewart, but it would just be incredibly *fun* if I could actually pull this off.
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Carnac » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:18 pm

Answer, one. Don't draft platoon players, unless you have no other viable option. Don't draft the entire Rockies squad. If you are playing just for laughs, shouldn't you be playing fantasy-fantasy baseball?

have fun
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Magnus_CA » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm sorry but this thread is a joke. You're doing yourself and the other owners in your league a disservice by drafting for any other reason than winning your league.
Last edited by Magnus_CA on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby MTUCache » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:08 pm

I agree... you're really going to upset the balance in this league if you keep up this kind of behavior. I have to assume that a 8-team NL-only league is at least somewhat serious and competitive, if it wasn't they wouldn't have taken the time to make it NL-only.

With 16 teams in the NL and 8 in your league, you should easily be able to find a reasonable everyday player at every position on your team. If one of them has a very drastic split and there's someone who could compliment them as a split then I'd consider it, but as a weekly league the advantage of that really goes out the window.

Unless there's been some strange change in scheduling this year, having some teams playing six games per week and others only playing three or four, I can't imagine platooning more than one spot in a weekly league. You're simply not going to find any consistency in splits. You may occasionally find that one of your players who doesn't play well on the road is away for the whole week, but how likely is it that his corresponding "platoon" guy is on the upswing of his split? Not very...

Splits? Bad Idea.
Rockies? Even worse.

If you change your focus now you probably have a good enough nucleus to stay competitive in the league. The further you travel down this path the harder it will be to get back to the rest of the pack later.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Carnac wrote:Answer, one. Don't draft platoon players, unless you have no other viable option. Don't draft the entire Rockies squad. If you are playing just for laughs, shouldn't you be playing fantasy-fantasy baseball?

have fun

what he said. :-b
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers