RP Heath Bell (SD - RP)
RP Chris Ray (Bal - RP)
P Jon Lester (Bos - SP)
P Zack Greinke (KC - SP)
P Josh Johnson (Fla - SP)
BN Chris Carpenter (StL - SP)
BN Ubaldo Jiménez (Col - SP)
BN Hiroki Kuroda (LAD - SP)
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 Team Roto *WHIR*

Postby decatur squares » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:55 am

I like you team going into the season. IMO you covered all your categories pretty well. Your starting line up is a little lite on SB, but if that turns out to be the case you have two guys on your bench who can give you at least 20+ steals on the year. I love your starting pitching some great starters and your bench has some great upside players to work with. As for RP, it seems like most leagues are leaving Chris Ray on the WW and I have been telling everyone who will listen to pick him up on the cheap. The guy will get a minimum of 20 saves this year.

The reason Im kissing a** so much is because you have a team I would love to have to start the season.
decatur squares
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: 12 Team Roto *WHIR*

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:37 pm

decatur squares wrote:I like you team going into the season. IMO you covered all your categories pretty well. Your starting line up is a little lite on SB, but if that turns out to be the case you have two guys on your bench who can give you at least 20+ steals on the year. I love your starting pitching some great starters and your bench has some great upside players to work with. As for RP, it seems like most leagues are leaving Chris Ray on the WW and I have been telling everyone who will listen to pick him up on the cheap. The guy will get a minimum of 20 saves this year.

The reason Im kissing a** so much is because you have a team I would love to have to start the season.

That's basically what I thought. The first few rounds just played out in a way that I didn't really have a great opportunity to get an elite base stealer. I hoped Sizemore would be available at 6 but instead I landed Miggy (which I'm prefectly fine with especially considering his 3B eligibility), in the 2nd round I just couldn't pass up on Utley, 3rd round I grabbed Morneau who gives great all around production, etc. I knew early on that I would have to find a way to compensate for my lack of a true stud in terms of SBs. I grabbed Abreu and Damon who should both steal 20+ and Theriot seems like a safe bet to hit around .290 with 25-30 SBs (while scoring a lot of runs hitting towards the top of the Cubs lineup).

I love the fact that everyone in my starting lineup is capable of hitting close to .300. This is going to be one of my more important leagues this year so I simply decided to play it safe and grab proven players who can all contribute in a few areas and none of whom will hurt me greatly in any area. Ethier is the only real breakout candidate I drafted. And like you said, Gomez could be a great source of steals off my bench if he's able to improve his approach at the plate.

Overall I'm really happy with my offense in comparison to the other teams in this league. My pitching staff is where I decided to load up on players with a good deal of breakout potential. Most of them have the potential to improve this year and IMO they're all talented enough so that their downside isn't terribly great despite the fact that a lot of them are young. I usually like having at least one top tier closer but considering how shallow our benches are, I don't think I'll have a hard time finding saves off the WW.

Thanks a lot for your input. ;-D If there's anything I can do to return the favor, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team