Gary Sheffield Signs With Mets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gary Sheffield Signs With Mets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gary Sheffield Signs With Mets

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:56 am

EvSolo wrote:
And overpaying for KROD? Please that was a steal. Guy was looking for 5 yrs 70 mill. Omar played it patiently and realized he wasnt going to bid against himself and got him for 3yrs 36 ithink. I mean do you really think no other team would have swooped in for the guy who just broke thesingle season record if he was going to take 2/20 or less?? Cmon

Wood was still available, and you were about to get Putz. These were both better/cheaper options then the cost for K-Rod.
If you want to spend $12 mil a year on something as unimportant as a closer, then be my guest. ;-)
Teams with real skill build sweet bullpens from scraps. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:15 pm

Teams with real skill build sweet bullpens from scraps.

I agree in general but large market teams don't always have that luxury. The value of marginal wins goes up as you approach 90 wins so if they really thought their biggest need was a bullpen arm he might actually not be a bad deal. I'd rather they spend the cash on a starter instead of course because I think that rotation could be a mess by the end of the year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby garf112 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:49 pm

the rotation could go both ways.

some days i wake up and think the Mets won't even go .500 because of their starting pitching.

others i think they might win 100.

Maine is 27
OlPerez is 28
Big Pelf is 25

Not exactly on the decline of their careers.

The problem becomes depth as I don't know if Niese is ready to be a full-time major league starter quite yet and beyond him. I guess Redding and Parnell could fill in in a pinch.

Bottom line is if you watched the Mets at all last year, you knew they needed bullpen help. Why not go out and get the best available closer on the market? You are saying they should have gotten Kerry Wood? Really? A guy who has spent half his career on the DL? Then they get Putz for the 8th inning, and fill in the rest with cheap options.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby EvSolo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:49 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
EvSolo wrote:
And overpaying for KROD? Please that was a steal. Guy was looking for 5 yrs 70 mill. Omar played it patiently and realized he wasnt going to bid against himself and got him for 3yrs 36 ithink. I mean do you really think no other team would have swooped in for the guy who just broke thesingle season record if he was going to take 2/20 or less?? Cmon

Wood was still available, and you were about to get Putz. These were both better/cheaper options then the cost for K-Rod.
If you want to spend $12 mil a year on something as unimportant as a closer, then be my guest. ;-)
Teams with real skill build sweet bullpens from scraps. ;-D

Wood is not a better option than KROD. Cheaper yes, better no. He can't be counted on to last a full season. After already losing Wagner to an injury the Mets werent going to out and get a question mark for their biggest need. And i think you are underestimating the importance of a closer for a contending team that hopes to go deep into October. The exact reason they missed the playoffs last year is because they had no closer.

And just because they were about to trade for Putz doesnt mean they shouldnt have signed Krod. the bullpen was a total mess and needed a complete overhaul. Putz wasnt enough to solve the bullpen problems IMO.
EvSolo
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers