Gary Sheffield Signs With Mets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gary Sheffield Signs With Mets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gary Sheffield Signs With Mets

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:50 am

Steve-o wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:I'm very happy to snag Sheffield, I'll take him for basically free off the bench.

Sheff off the bench is not free. You don't think he is going to bitch about PT and talk who great he is compared to everyone else on the roster? He needs to get 80% of the PT or he will destroy a club house. And since only one projection system on fan graphs has him hitting over .250, he seems like he would be about the same, with no upside, as anybody else the Mets put out in RF. Who knows, maybe the just cut him.

As a brewer fan, you should take everything I say about Sheff with a grain of salt.

This would be my concern if I were a Mets fan.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:05 am

Steve-o wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:I'm very happy to snag Sheffield, I'll take him for basically free off the bench.

Sheff off the bench is not free. You don't think he is going to bitch about PT and talk who great he is compared to everyone else on the roster? He needs to get 80% of the PT or he will destroy a club house. And since only one projection system on fan graphs has him hitting over .250, he seems like he would be about the same, with no upside, as anybody else the Mets put out in RF. Who knows, maybe the just cut him.

As a brewer fan, you should take everything I say about Sheff with a grain of salt.

I'm well aware of his antics from his Yankees days. If he acts up, it won't be an issue to put him right back on waivers, not like we're paying him 14 million here.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:18 am

U/O 3 months: Sheff's tenure as a NYM.

I'm going under.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby EvSolo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:16 am

rookies and cream wrote:I don't mind the Sheff signing as long as he's ok with not playing >50% of the time or so.

What this tells me is that Manuel and the Met FO are not ecstatic with Church. Also tells me that they probably wanted Manny but were limited financially.

Which is a complete pile of bull.....New stadium, tv revenues, very strong attendance records etc, Bernie Madoff or not they had the money but they simply refused to spend it. Want to use the excuse of "Manny being Manny" and his supposed negative effect on the clubhouse like they have been crowing? Fine. But to then go out and get a guy who notoriously has the same reputation in Sheffield is a complete slap in the fact to the fans IMO. Jeff Wilpon even thre GM under the bus saying he was never asked about Manny by Omar and that Minaya liked the club as is, only to hear Minaya on the radio stating we acquired the right handed power bat we needed so obviously he thought there was a hole. This alleviates all doubt that Minaya never wanted Manny and proves that Wilpon refused to open the checkbook (which would havent have been significantly more than 50 mil) to add a middle of the order producer that can change the face of the whole division and bring the Mets deep into October.
EvSolo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:30 am

EvSolo wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:I don't mind the Sheff signing as long as he's ok with not playing >50% of the time or so.

What this tells me is that Manuel and the Met FO are not ecstatic with Church. Also tells me that they probably wanted Manny but were limited financially.

Which is a complete pile of bull.....New stadium, tv revenues, very strong attendance records etc, Bernie Madoff or not they had the money but they simply refused to spend it. Want to use the excuse of "Manny being Manny" and his supposed negative effect on the clubhouse like they have been crowing? Fine. But to then go out and get a guy who notoriously has the same reputation in Sheffield is a complete slap in the fact to the fans IMO. Jeff Wilpon even thre GM under the bus saying he was never asked about Manny by Omar and that Minaya liked the club as is, only to hear Minaya on the radio stating we acquired the right handed power bat we needed so obviously he thought there was a hole. This alleviates all doubt that Minaya never wanted Manny and proves that Wilpon refused to open the checkbook (which would havent have been significantly more than 50 mil) to add a middle of the order producer that can change the face of the whole division and bring the Mets deep into October.

Talk about greedy, how much hitting do you need?
Reyes/Murphy/Wright/Beltran/Delgado not enough for you?

Maybe you should chastise your team for doing rock-headed things like re-signing Oliver Perez, or spending too much on K-Rod, but not getting Manny is not something they have done incorrectly. !+)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:35 am

EvSolo wrote:

I have two friends who work for the Mets, one of which sat in on meetings with both Jeff and Omar present, regarding Manny Ramirez, and I can safely tell you that you are terribly misguided in what you think here.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Ender » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:45 am

One of these things is not like the other... one of these things just doesn't belong...
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:47 am

Ender wrote:

One of these things is not like the other... one of these things just doesn't belong...

Shhhh O:-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby EvSolo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:48 am

AussieDodger wrote:
EvSolo wrote:

Maybe you should chastise your team for doing rock-headed things like re-signing Oliver Perez, or spending too much on K-Rod, but not getting Manny is not something they have done incorrectly.
!+)

Has nothing to do with greed, its wanting to get a player that was available to put us in a better position to win after collapsing/choking two straight years. Manny was not going to get a 5yr 100 mill contract. If that was the case id say pass as well. But this was a 2 year deal for 45 mill. Certainly feasible for the Mets financially.

We have no idea what Murphy or Church will give us, its not practical to expect a repeat out of Delgado or Tatis, and Schnieder and Castillo are black holes as of now. This is about catching Philly and going deep into october.

Maybe you should chastise your team for doing rock-headed things like re-signing Oliver Perez, or spending too much on K-Rod, but not getting Manny is not something they have done incorrectly.

Ollie isnt my favorite but if we didnt sign him who were we supposed to sign??? Lowe went for 4yrs 60 MIl!!! Omar had his hands tied on that one. He had to pull the trigger there. Who else was he supposed to get?

And overpaying for KROD? Please that was a steal. Guy was looking for 5 yrs 70 mill. Omar played it patiently and realized he wasnt going to bid against himself and got him for 3yrs 36 ithink. I mean do you really think no other team would have swooped in for the guy who just broke thesingle season record if he was going to take 2/20 or less?? Cmon
EvSolo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EvSolo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:51 am

bigh0rt wrote:
EvSolo wrote:

I have two friends who work for the Mets, one of which sat in on meetings with both Jeff and Omar present, regarding Manny Ramirez, and I can safely tell you that you are terribly misguided in what you think here.

Maybe but that is how it was portrayed to the fans and i am certainly not the only one who feels this way. Care to enlighten me on how it went down though? Im very interested to know why Manny was not an option from the jump. Thanks
EvSolo
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers