BJ Upton and his shoulder - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

BJ Upton and his shoulder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BJ Upton and his shoulder

Postby Slobula » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:36 am

Who knows the story with Upton's power surge in the playoffs? Was he gaurding his left shoulder all year and only really let loose in the playoffs? That lines up with what I observed. He hit 18 homers as a 20 year old in AA - he hit 24 homers in the majors as a 22 year old in 07 and then hits only 9 in 08 but then shows the bat speed and power of Gary Sheffield in the playoffs. Yet his homer projections by all the geniuses (Bill James etc.) are in the mid teens. I suspect it was his shoulder that held him to 9 homers.

Also - does anyone have any word on how he has been swinging in BP this spring? Is he letting loose? He's a 40-40 top end and a possible 30-30 if he is letting loose. But if his shoulder is still week - he is not worth a 2nd round pick.
Slobula
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BJ Upton and his shoulder

Postby ytorf » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:50 pm

Yeah, everything I've been hearing is that the HR shortage was shoulder-related. I haven't heard anything to make me worry about the shoulder, though. Sounds like he's ready to go, they just don't want him playing in the cold right out of spring training.

2nd round pick seems kind of high for him, though. A lot of proven studs you can get there instead of drafting on potential.
ytorf
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates