Ervin Santana - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ervin Santana

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ervin Santana

Postby abrage22 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:08 am

Any updates? And when should he beakinb his first start, middle of may I heard?
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ervin Santana

Postby bmfote » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:26 am

i've been following him for some time (i picked him up on 2 of my teams) I would predict late april - the first 2 weeks of may.
He seems to be getting healthy, and doctors agree. Some sites think he's rushing it, but hopefully all continues to go well. Could be top pitcher this year if the elbow holds out even a month removed from the season.
bmfote
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Slobula » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:28 am

Last i heard was that he still had to throw from 200 feet. And then he will move to the mound - then simulated games - then probably a minor league start. It could be the end of may even if all goes right. But if he starts to feel discomfort at any time - he may have surgery and be done for the year - you never know how this will go. They would be smart not to rush him back.
Slobula
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby babaoriley » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:50 am

Well, considering the source, it's difficult to take this with anything but a grain of salt, but Matt Berry opined that Santana would be shut down this season on Bill Simmons' podcast. Again, DISCLAIMER*** THIS OPINION WAS THAT OF MATTHEW BERRY***. But, as a Santana owner in a fairly shallow H-2-H league (8-9 P's total), I'm at least considering dropping him.

Anyone else have any reason to believe he has better than a 50-50 chance at accumulating less than 150 innings? Less than 100?

I keep reading conflicting reports...
babaoriley
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Slobula » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:17 pm

I don't think anyone knows right now - unless he threw from 200 feet and had problems.....

The chances are 50-50 that he pitches 150 innings - if he has any set back on his road I believe he opts for surgery and is out all year. But if he doesn't have any set backs you are looking at 150 innings best case.
Slobula
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Slobula » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:24 pm

babaoriley wrote:Well, considering the source, it's difficult to take this with anything but a grain of salt, but Matt Berry opined that Santana would be shut down this season on Bill Simmons' podcast. Again, DISCLAIMER*** THIS OPINION WAS THAT OF MATTHEW BERRY***. But, as a Santana owner in a fairly shallow H-2-H league (8-9 P's total), I'm at least considering dropping him.

Anyone else have any reason to believe he has better than a 50-50 chance at accumulating less than 150 innings? Less than 100?

I keep reading conflicting reports...

And I agree with you on Matthew Berry - the guy sickens me. He is a grade A moron. I remember going into the 07 season he said A-Rod was not a legit top 4 pick - that you should wait and take A-Ramirez later because they had similar numbers in 06. Good work idiot - A-Rod's worst year and A-Ram's best year happen to line up so go on that! A-Rod proceeds to hit 54 bombs and steal 24 bags in 07 - yeah A-Ram almost did that. Berry is a complete clown.
Slobula
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby babaoriley » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:28 pm

Yep, that's what I'm afraid of: 125-150IP or he takes up my 1 valuable DL spot for 8 weeks then opts for surgery. All or nothing with Ervin this season, but if healthy, he's such a valuable & reliable arm. Thanks for your 2 cents. Helps to see that others have a similar feeling about him.

I read that he's making progress, then I just think of the long line of pitchers that are always "making progress" at this time of year, only to feel a twinge of pain 2 months in and opt for surgery.

And agree with you: Berry is a clown and a half. the only thing that concerns me is that the only advantage he has with his ESPN role is that he is privy to a lot of under-the-radar injury talk through the Bristol pipeline. But yeah, Matt Berry is to fantasy baseball what Peter King is to fantasy football. Wait, that's not fair... Matt Berry is to fantasy baseball what... Matt Berry is to fantasy football. :-D
babaoriley
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby slagbot » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:13 pm

and yahoo has ervin listed to start on tuesday, april 7. this can't be right, can it?
slagbot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby deanpapelbon » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:05 am

and yahoo has ervin listed to start on tuesday, april 7. this can't be right, can it?

yep, false.
deanpapelbon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BeachBums » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:44 pm

He went on the 15 day dl today
BeachBums
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor