General Rule for determining number of DL spots? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

General Rule for determining number of DL spots?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

General Rule for determining number of DL spots?

Postby MrMom » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:00 am

What is the general rule for how many DL spots should be on a roster...my league has 21 roster spots plus one DL(16 starters, 5 bench, 1 DL). I'm thinking we need more DL spots. How many are generally awarded to a league my size?
MrMom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: General Rule for determining number of DL spots?

Postby Matthias » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:33 am

I think 1 is normal. We have 32 players (23 active, 6 reserve, 3 minors) and 2 DL spots. But really, it's whatever you feel comfortable with.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Carnac » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:34 am

Our league uses 2. But, it probably shouldn't be changed after the draft. I drafted Smoltz and Escobar planning to put them both on DL and pick up others until they are ready. If we drafted based on one DL I wouldn't have grabbed both. If it was changed after the draft, I'd be pissed. Would never happen in our league.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SumG » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:31 am

I personally think 1 DL slot is too few. We play with two and a good number of teams end up using both of them. With only one, there's a greater chance that someone could get very unlucky, have a bunch of people get injured, and then have to drop or trade injured players due to the lack of DL slots, which I dislike the idea of.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:06 pm

i prefer to not have one at all...that's what bench spots are for
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jbauer2485 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:08 pm

jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:11 pm

For a 21 man roster 1 is more than enough. In much deeper leagues (28+ rosters) maybe 2 is more approriate.

I like just having 1 because it adds a little strategy to the game. I don't like multiple DL spots where people can just stash players all season long. I think it makes it a little bit more interesting if you have to choose between occupying your DL spot with a guy, or dropping him.

Just my preference though.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby mak1277 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:35 pm

1 or 2? Puke.

In an ideal world, I think the number should be unlimited. You should NEVER have to choose whether or not to keep/drop a player just because a guy gets DL'd for real. Now, I think that you should not be allowed to pick guys up off the WW that are injured and DL them, but I don't think you should ever lose a guy just because you can't carry him while he's on the DL.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby RDD15 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:57 am

mak1277 wrote:1 or 2? Puke.

In an ideal world, I think the number should be unlimited. You should NEVER have to choose whether or not to keep/drop a player just because a guy gets DL'd for real. Now, I think that you should not be allowed to pick guys up off the WW that are injured and DL them, but I don't think you should ever lose a guy just because you can't carry him while he's on the DL.

I agree. The leagues that I am in range from none to two. I would prefer unlimited as long as the player was on your roster prior to the start of the most recent game that he played in.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby walkoffblast » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:12 am

RDD15 wrote:
mak1277 wrote:1 or 2? Puke.

I agree. The leagues that I am in range from none to two. I would prefer unlimited as long as the player was on your roster prior to the start of the most recent game that he played in.

No matter how you word it there will be a sketchy situation and it might be a pain to keep an eye on. I favor picking a finite number that is larger than the 1 or 2 you usually see assuming your league is deeper. Then you still have to choose on occasion and cannot completely stockpile but no one looses someoone they should not have to drop. We use 4 with no restirictions.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner