Waiver Wire 101... The Value of Waiver Position? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Waiver Wire 101... The Value of Waiver Position?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Waiver Wire 101... The Value of Waiver Position?

Postby kweiss » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:59 pm

One thing I don't think I've ever mastered in my fantasy baseball career is the use of the waivers effectively. It seems like every year I get impatient and blow a good waiver position on a player, only to see a better player dropped a few days later. And it seems like I often pass up on a guy because I don't want to head back to waiver spot #12, only to wait and see nobody else of note ever gets dropped.

So what's you're policy on waivers? How much do you value each of the different waiver priorities? What goes through your head when you see a good player dropped?
kweiss
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Waiver Wire 101... The Value of Waiver Position?

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:05 pm

I scour the player database and figure out who are the best prospects not on Yahoo. This year, they added basically all of the notable ones already but there are still some guys like Gordon Beckham who are intriguing and not there yet. I compare the top prospects to the value of the established player being dropped and go from there.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby j24jags » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:I scour the player database and figure out who are the best prospects not on Yahoo. This year, they added basically all of the notable ones already but there are still some guys like Gordon Beckham who are intriguing and not there yet. I compare the top prospects to the value of the established player being dropped and go from there.

That's a good way to go about it. It must have been a great feeling for whoever had the #1 priority when Braun came up...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby brotherbird » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Gut feeling. Use it or lose it. Especially sitting late at 14 out of 14, (like, duh-uh). Somebody dropped J Upton. I don't need another OF, but I need John Lannon less. 5 reserve B, no reserve P. Trade it out later, maybe. I woulda pulled the trigger on that kind of talent if I had the 1 position.
brotherbird
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby silverZ » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:28 pm

As a Lyon owner I think I might waste a #3 waiver on Ryan Perry...there doesn't seem to be an uber prospect this year worth saving it for.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby DaShiz23 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:53 am

I am a mess when it comes to using WW priority effectively. This is something that I will keep a very close eye on this season.

BTW, with all these new features on Yahoo, is the trading of WW priority available/possible?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby os_gamejunkie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:40 am

brotherbird wrote:Gut feeling. Use it or lose it. Especially sitting late at 14 out of 14, (like, duh-uh). Somebody dropped J Upton. I don't need another OF, but I need John Lannon less. 5 reserve B, no reserve P. Trade it out later, maybe. I woulda pulled the trigger on that kind of talent if I had the 1 position.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Last year I was in a 14-Team, NL-only, 30-Man roster league and used my #1 WW on Jacque Jones when he signed with the Marlins. I was last in the league in runs and it was assumed he was going to bat lead-off.

Sabathia was traded to the Brewers a few weeks later. %-6
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HunglikeChampions » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:11 am

os_gamejunkie wrote:
brotherbird wrote:Gut feeling. Use it or lose it. Especially sitting late at 14 out of 14, (like, duh-uh). Somebody dropped J Upton. I don't need another OF, but I need John Lannon less. 5 reserve B, no reserve P. Trade it out later, maybe. I woulda pulled the trigger on that kind of talent if I had the 1 position.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Last year I was in a 14-Team, NL-only, 30-Man roster league and used my #1 WW on Jacque Jones when he signed with the Marlins. I was last in the league in runs and it was assumed he was going to bat lead-off.

Sabathia was traded to the Brewers a few weeks later. %-6

Ya I played in a AL only league last year and horded the #1 spot once I got it until the trade deadline and was able to pick up teixera when he was traded to the angels. I have the #2 pick this year, and without something studly being availalable, I will probably wait until the deadline this year too because those types of pickups are just soo huge in h2h leagues, especially AL/NL only leagues
HunglikeChampions
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rentz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:37 am

j24jags wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:I scour the player database and figure out who are the best prospects not on Yahoo. This year, they added basically all of the notable ones already but there are still some guys like Gordon Beckham who are intriguing and not there yet. I compare the top prospects to the value of the established player being dropped and go from there.

That's a good way to go about it. It must have been a great feeling for whoever had the #1 priority when Braun came up...

i remember that year fondly, i held onto my ww priority tightly waiting for braun.
i believe it was the preceding year i got hamels my stashing my priority.
too bad neither was a keeper league
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ayebatter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:49 pm

As of right now, I've seen 3 'lucky' waiver pick ups listed, Braun-Tex-CC, and although they would have been nice to get, I'd imagine that they were also picked in 1000's of leagues by guys that didn't have the #1 waiver position. I say if you see a player than can help right now, you must use you pick, why wait for that 1000 in 1 chance for a stud.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1374)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers