Best Pitching Staff in Fantasy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Best Pitching Staff in Fantasy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best Pitching Staff in Fantasy?

Postby Rockfan616 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:59 am

I agree with the general consensus about steals. Lots of times you're top basestealers are guys that aren't very patient hitters. And they can be vulnerable to long slumps (I.E. the almost 3 month slump Jacoby Ellsbury was mired in for a lot of last season). If they aren't getting on base they can't steal. Some speedy guys like Micheal Bourn or Carlos Gomez have almost no patience at the plate and will struggle to hit for a high average (or to get any walks). You can't steal 1st ya know?? Yes you do have a very good pitching staff and I would deal a couple of them for some power hitters later on in the season if I were you just to get some offensive balance. You'll fare better in your matchups that way trust me. ;-D
Rockfan616
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raysfan4life » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:01 am

I appreciate and respect all the advice, and I cannot say I would disagree with any of it yet. The point of this strategy is to determine if I can win using a non-standard philosophy. I agree with all the statements I've read, steals are inconsistent, SP's only go once every fifth day, etc.

These are the exact reasons why these guys were available to me when I drafted. I saw the post where the guy said I should try to do this on offense instead of with pitching. That's the point - you can't do this on offense, because everyone knows offense is more consistent, and everyone drafts offensive players accordingly. Even if I spent my first 10 picks on offense, my team would not be that significantly stronger or different than most other teams, because most teams are going to pick offense for 8-10 or their first 10 picks.

Just trying something new, if for no other reason than it will create an intriguing match-up each week. Teams are going to have to plan a little differently to play me, and I like that. Maybe it doesn't work, but it will be fun trying it out.

And if I get lucky and my pitching does work out, I'll be very tough to beat most weeks.
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hit Factory » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:01 pm

I'll say this, you have 3 amazing starters (Johan,Lincecum, and Halladay,) however imo Cliff Lee and Ervin Santana are weak and will not come close to their performances in 2008. I have Daisuke on my team as well, but I know he got extremely lucky last year and his ERA will probably raise in 2009. Shields is a good pitcher, and Guthrie is ok but plays on a terrible team. If you truly wanted the "best pitching staff in fantasy," you should have drafted Hamels instead of Lee or Ervin Santana.
Hit Factory
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Eagle Baseball » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:32 pm

is there an innings limit in your league?
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby D_LAW » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:53 pm

First of all, i agree with some of the others your first half of rotation is great but it slacks off at the bottom half. Secondly when they say that pitching wins games and pennants, I dont think that they mean ONLY pitching. You need some offense to go along with it
D_LAW
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:56 pm

D_LAW wrote:First of all, i agree with some of the others your first half of rotation is great but it slacks off at the bottom half. Secondly when they say that pitching wins games and pennants, I dont think that they mean ONLY pitching. You need some offense to go along with it

Ya needs balance. The best strategy for you going forwards is to move a couple of them guys for some solid hitters. Sounds basic, but balance is the name of the game. ;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby raysfan4life » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Trust me, I would have liked to have gotten Hamels, but I couldn't - he was already gone. Cliff Lee will definitely come back to earth, but if I can get 14 - 16 wins out of him, I feel good.

Regarding E. Santana, I got him in the 23rd or 24th round. You can't tell me it's not worth a flier at that point - I mean he's ctually owned in 96% of ESPN leagues. When the guy gets back (assuming he's healthy), I'll have another ace, and I didn't spend much to get him.

Once again, in regards to the balance statement, in reality the only two categories I've really sacrified are HRs and RBIs. I'll be competitive in BA, Runs, and I should dominate SBs and most of th pitching categories.

Think about it, if Johan duplicates last year (which was an off year by his standards), Lincecum wins 15 and puts up good lines, Halladay does what he alays does, and I've got Lee, Shields, Dice-K, Scherzer etc. on the back end? I'm starting these guys when my opponent is picking up Jeff Suppan and hopes he does well that day. Then I've got 4 top tier closers.

To me, that's a huge advantage.

Here's one more way to look at it:

I got Santana, Lincecum, Halladay, Shields, Lee and Dice-K. They're all arguably top 20 SPs, with three of them in the top 5. 9 other teams have to split the other top 14 SPs. I got 6 of them - they got about 1.5 each. Even if I miss on Lee, I'm still ahead.
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team