Best Pitching Staff in Fantasy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Best Pitching Staff in Fantasy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Pitching Staff in Fantasy?

Postby raysfan4life » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:39 pm

I obviously had to sacrifice offense to get this staff...anyone got a better overall combination of SP's and RP's?

J. Santana
T. Lincecum
R. Halladay
C. Lee
D. Matsuzaka
J. Shields
E. Santana
M. Scherzer
J. Guthrie

J. Papelbon
M. Rivera
J. Soria
B. Morrow
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best Pitching Staff in Fantasy?

Postby letter18 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:11 am

schezer is is not gonna start the season, and guthre is mediocore at best... i expect cliff lee to have some drop off but he should be ok. santana's not gonna start the season either, and diasuke is going to kill you on WHIP and almost def have an inflated ERA

the staff?

your top 3 are great, your back end has a bit of drop off.

why did you feel you needed all those pitchers?
Check out my blog- http://agressivebaserunning.wordpress.com last update: 4/23
letter18
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Cafe Writer

Postby Joshiroth » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:16 am

Nice, but what I wanna see is your offense if you have any.
Joshiroth
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaShiz23 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:24 am

Joshiroth wrote:Nice, but what I wanna see is your offense if you have any.

Same here.

If this is a 10 team or more league, you should be able to flip one of your top closers and 2-3 of your SPs for some real offensive talent.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Joshiroth » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:22 am

Ya I would send Johan, Dice-K and probably Rivera to try and build yourself a decent offense, the drawback with going very pitcher heavy is that unless it's a roto league like a 5x5 or a 7x7 where you could dominate half of the stats with the pitchers you have, offense usually has more categories which puts you at risk every week if its a H2H.
Joshiroth
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raysfan4life » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:45 pm

This league is 5X5 H2H, 10 categories, win 6 or more of the 10 categories, you win the week.

My offense sucks, except for SB's (I'm projected over 300).

Goal is to win all 5 pitching categories and SB's each week, and win the week 6-4.
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raysfan4life » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:51 pm

letter18 wrote:schezer is is not gonna start the season, and guthre is mediocore at best... i expect cliff lee to have some drop off but he should be ok. santana's not gonna start the season either, and diasuke is going to kill you on WHIP and almost def have an inflated ERA

the staff?

your top 3 are great, your back end has a bit of drop off.

why did you feel you needed all those pitchers?

Agreed that Lee will have drop off - but he's my 4th starter.

Scherzer will be back after first week.

Guthrie was just a waiver pick-up to fill in this week because Santana and Scherzer are out.

Got E. Santana in 24th round of 25 round draft - that's why I took him. He'll be a hell of a bargain when he comes back.

Don't necessarily agree on Dice-K - I project around a 3.50 ERA and 1.30 WHIP, and I don't consider those outrageous.

I picked up all these pitchers because I want to try and dominate all 5 pitching categories on a consistent basis. On offense, I'm focusing on steals. Goal is to win those 6 categories every week. So, even with the flaws you are pointing out, point is this pitching staff is significantly stronger than my competitions. The way you are evaluating it, it's like you are comparing it to the top pitchers in the league - not the best drafted staffs.
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Carnac » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:00 pm

The flaw in your strategy is that steals are the least consistant stat in H2H. Most stolen bases come in bunches. A top steals guy can steal 5 or 6 bases one week and blank the next. The next is saves. If you lose saves your strategy goes down the tubes for the week. The most consistant stats on a week to week basis are R, HR, RBI. You are virtually punting those 3 catagories. Never a good idea to punt 3 cats right out of the box. Recipe for disaster.

But good luck with it.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby raysfan4life » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:53 am

Carnac wrote:The flaw in your strategy is that steals are the least consistant stat in H2H. Most stolen bases come in bunches. A top steals guy can steal 5 or 6 bases one week and blank the next. The next is saves. If you lose saves your strategy goes down the tubes for the week. The most consistant stats on a week to week basis are R, HR, RBI. You are virtually punting those 3 catagories. Never a good idea to punt 3 cats right out of the box. Recipe for disaster.

But good luck with it.

Agreed that steals are inconsistent, but I've got almost twice as many as most of the rest of the teams in my league. My intent is, even if I don't win saves (which I'm projected to have the second most in), if I win the other 4 pitching categories and steals, I can compete in AVG and R's - just not HR's or RBI's.
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby letter18 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:32 am

but even if you do technically have the best staff in the league, you are not a lock to win pitching categories every week.

Pitching is so deep that that teams can have very good 2 and 3 starters that put up excellent weeks, which could cause you to lose some categories.

Honestly, I think the the better approach with a strategy like this would be to stack up on offense and win steals. Theyre are not that many really good hitters in the league... theyre are a ton of really good pitchers.... maybe not as good as some of the guys you have.... but good enough to where they can give you a sweat. And remember, these guys are only out there every fifth day, , whereas position players will produce everyday... a bad day from one or two of your excellent position players dosent mean much... a bad start from a one or two of your starters can cost you a category.

but hey, interesting stuff anyway. id be curious to see how it turns out.
Check out my blog- http://agressivebaserunning.wordpress.com last update: 4/23
letter18
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team