How did I do?? Who to drop?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

How did I do?? Who to drop??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How did I do?? Who to drop??

Postby CrashDavisAllStars » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:55 am

I am in a 12 team H2H 5x5 (Runs, HR, RBI, SB, Avg. & Wins, Saves, Ks, ERA, WHIP) league and just drafted over the phone as I was unable to be in front of my computer due to travel. How did I do (considerating I was drafting blind) and should I drop Phil Hughes in favor of another starter or Rick Porcello? (David Price is now taken)

C- Russ Martin
1B- Justin Morneau
2B- Jose Lopez
SS- Jhonny Peralta
3B- ARod (I also have Mike Lowell until ARod is healthy)
OF-Adam Dunn, Hunter Pence, Lastings Milledge, Delmon Young
Util- James Loney, Billy Butler
Bench- Carlos Gomez, Jeff Francoeur, Matt Wieters

SP- CC Sabathia, Scott Kazmir, John Lackey, Joba, Erik Bedard
RP- Jonathan Pappelbon, Francisco Cordero
BN- Phil Hughes

Available SPs: Chris Ray, Homer Bailey, John Smoltz, Tim Wakefield, Dave Bush, Andy Sonnanstine, Randy Wolf, Bronson Arroyo, Jeremy Bonderman, Rick Porcello, Scott Olson, Chan Ho Park, Bartolo Colon

Also, Brandon Wood is hitting the cover off the ball right now...Would you drop Milledge or Gomez to get him right now?
Watcha think? Will help others, too....
Last edited by CrashDavisAllStars on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
CrashDavisAllStars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How did I do?? Who to drop??

Postby Meddler » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:54 am

Nice team. Having Martin and Wieters, boy that could be a huge trade chip in a few weeks. Your weakest with your MIs I think and in particular you need SBs and Rs. Maybe you can get lucky and J-Roll will get off to an iffy start and you can get him for Martin. Martin's not enough for Reyes or Ramirez, it'd be a long shot even if you threw Lowell in too, though maybe that'd work for J-Roll. If not, its probably better to think about 2B, where there's more speed among the early-mid round talent. Brian Roberts would be a nice return on Martin, he'd give you exactly the boost in SBs and Rs you need. Alexei Ramirez would be another interesting target, because he's eligible at either MI position so you'd have the option of using him over either Peralta or Lopez.

Not sure how useful Carlos Gomez will be, but if you can't find steals elsewhere he's probably worth keeping around. Is Coco Crisp available? I believe he's going to be leading off in KC, he's a better choice for an OF devoted to speed. Maybe Orlando Cabrera? Cameron Maybin maybe? I'd take any one of them over Gomez with this roster.

I would drop Hughes for Price. Even if neither start out in the majors, the path for Price is more clear, and he's also the superior pitcher, and better than at least two of the Rays current starters. They're just being cautious to limit his innings early on. Hughes probably shouldn't get picked up until something bad happens in the Yankees rotation, unless you're really concerned about Joba's loss of velo, in which case Hughes makes some sense. I still think I'd take Price.

You may want another closer, Cordero's a little iffy, but obviously Papelbon's elite.

SP after CC looks a little bit risky. I might try to minimize some of that risk if possible. Maybe you can move Bedard for someone like Ted Lilly or Derek Lowe if their owner is desperate for some upside in Ks. I'd have a harder time parting with any of my other pitchers, maybe Kazmir, but then you'd be heavily relying on Joba and Bedard for Ks. If you could get good value on Lackey I'd do it, but perceptions about him are going to be mixed at best.

This is mostly just tweaking and nit picking though, the core of your team is very solid, especially going in blind.

Any thoughts on mine? http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=375695
Meddler
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: How did I do?? Who to drop??

Postby CrashDavisAllStars » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:48 am

Thanks...Considering it is a 12 team league I like the team....I think I only screwed up only 1 big pick - Picking Lackey when King Hernandez and Beckett were still on the board - but other than that I like my core....I am nervous about my OF. Milledge is having an awful spring and just seems like a career underachiever to me. Travis Snyder and CoCo Crisp are both availale as possible replacements. Gomez may also be dead weight in my OF. I want to get rid of Phil Hughes, too, but not sure what direction to go in....Probably Chris Ray, Rick Porcello, or Edwin Jackson...
CrashDavisAllStars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team