Khalil Greene for 2009: a look at some numbers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Khalil Greene for 2009: a look at some numbers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Khalil Greene for 2009: a look at some numbers

Postby ActionHero » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:17 pm

All this discussion about whether he can sustain his away numbers is confusing and frankly not as important as seeing how he performs in Busch stadium. After all 50% of his at bats will be in this stadium -- whether or not Great American park is better than Coors is not going to have as big of an impact as the switching of home parks.

Also the discussion of whether a park is a hitter's park or a pitcher's park I think is overblown when it comes to each individual player. Just because in general, more runs are scored at Wrigley Field than say Shea Stadium doesn't mean Khalil Greene will have a higher batting average in Wrigley than in Shea. Each individual batter is unique and will see the ball differently in each park. Whether it's because of depth perception issues or perhaps a more subconscious reason, batters will have different comfort levels at each park. Of course the size of the foul ball territory, the distance to the walls, wind directions, etc... will have an impact, but I'm not sure you can generalize park impacts on individual hitters.

Greene's career average at Petco is a woeful .228 over 1147 plate appearances. Unfortunately, his average in Busch is only .174, but the sample size is very small with only 23 official plate appearances. There is not enough data to make a determination either way, but the little data we have doesn't point to him being a .280 hitter.
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:06 pm

I drafted him as my MI in my money league tonight so he better prove me wrong! I drafted Kendrick as my 2B to offset his average though so it is all good. (drafted both very late).
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby superslugger616 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:56 pm

A good article on Greene's spring training: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Vlad » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:30 pm

batting cleanup today over Ludwick? Does TLR see something we don't?
Vlad
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby converge241 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:35 pm

Him batting behind Pujols has been planned for a bit..Believe its for when they are facing lefties only though
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby Padsin05 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:21 am

enough time yet, to believe the guys that said Khalil wouldnt do anything just cause he left petco?
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:17 am

Padsin05 wrote:enough time yet, to believe the guys that said Khalil wouldnt do anything just cause he left petco?

Certainly. It's not like there's 5 months left in the season or anything. I mean you're judging every player based on what their numbers look like right now, right? Okay, good. As long as we're on the same page here.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:40 am

If anything his season so far is encouraging. He is striking out a lot less than in the past and walking a lot more. An improved approach at the plate might just lead to him hitting .270+.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bmd1285 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:55 pm

I'd rather read a dictionary than waste my time looking at Greene's numbers (which will never get any better). At least I'd be doing something that would benefit me in the future.
bmd1285
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby CadensDad » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:10 pm

bmd1285 wrote:I'd rather read a dictionary than waste my time looking at Greene's numbers (which will never get any better). At least I'd be doing something that would benefit me in the future.

Very good post, ;-D

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers