Second team, How does it look? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Second team, How does it look?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Second team, How does it look?

Postby Meddler » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:24 pm

I decided to do a second draft, since I liked how my first one came out but I also wanted to get a feel for the more standard 5x5 format (My other league is 10x10, this is the first year I've done roto). Its a 12 team Roto on Yahoo. Here's the roster (Draft round in parenthesis) [alternate positions in brackets]:

C - Brian McCann (5)
1B - Kevin Youkilis (4) [3B]
2B - Chase Utley (2)
3B - David Wright (1)
SS - Stephen Drew (7)
OF - Lastings Milledge (9)
OF - Johnny Damon (10)
OF - Jayson Werth (11)
Util - Nelson Cruz (12)
BN - Conor Jackson (16) [1B, OF]
BN - Orlando Cabrera (18) [SS]
BN - Travis Snider (20) [OF]

SP - CC Sabathia (3)
SP - Dan Haren (6)
RP - Joakim Soria (8)
RP - Kevin Gregg (14)
P - Josh Johnson (13)
P - John Danks (15)
P - Frank Fransisco (17)
BN - Jason Motte (19) [RP]
BN - Jordan Zimmermann (21) [SP]

It was kind of an awkward draft, especially offensively, but I'm totally satisfied with the final product. I was thrilled when I completed my infield in the seventh round with Drew, I felt like Wright, Utley, Youkilis, McCann, and Drew had me way out ahead of the pack in HR, R, RBI, and AVG. I was a bit weak on SBs though, not horrible with Utley and Wright, but the other three weren't helping me there. The first tier of mid-round speedy outfielders was already off the board (Ichiro, Victorino, Hart, McClouth). I wasn't interested in Dye or Bruce, since their skills were redundant to what I'd already drafted, and looking down the road, there was a nice little second tier of speed in the outfield coming up (Abreu, Milledge, Hunter, Damon, Werth, Cruz). Soria was the last top tier closer left so I picked him the 8th figuring I'd wait and then fill my outfield down the line. I figured if I got Werth or Cruz into my third spot and two of the other guys before that I'd be in solid shape. I was all set to pick Abreu in the 9th, figuring I was going to get nice value, but he got chopped right before my pick. There was literally no one I was crazy about, and Milledge looked like he had the most SB upside of the outfield group I was looking at, so I grabbed him. After getting Damon then both Werth AND Cruz I realized I probably could have waited a round, but I didn't want to risk losing Milledge's 30+ SB upside. As it turns out, I don't think any of these guys are going to hurt me in any category, and they could help me in more than just SB, so I'm still very comfortable with my offense. I figured Cabrera would be a nice compliment to Drew, since he can sneak me a few extra SB. Conor Jackson is a nice value as far as a 16th round insurance pick goes, and I love Snider's upside reducing some of the risk in my OF.

Pitching-wise, I think I'm solid. Better than good, but not quite great. CC and Haren were solid values in the 3rd and 6th round, respectively. And I like Johnson and Danks as depth. With Zimmermann I was just trying to find some upside with a 21st round pick. RP wise, I did reach for Gregg in the 14th round, but it seemed like my league was overvaluing RP. Matt Capps and Brian Wilson came off the board earlier that round, and I wanted to make sure I got a closer on a decent team who should get lots of early opportunities. I figured having Soria and Gregg was plenty for me to sit on and then pick the scraps of the last few rounds. I was really hoping to get Ted Lilly in the 15th, but he also got chopped on the pick before mine, which surprised me a bit. Danks is a solid alternative, but I like Lilly's track record a bit better. I love the late round RP I got. Tough to get too decent looking declared closers in the 17th and 19th rounds, and that's just what Fransisco and Motte are.

So anyone have any thoughts? Advice? Comments? It would be much appreciated.
Meddler
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Second team, How does it look?

Postby shoelessjoetara » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:28 pm

I really like your team. To be able to get Wright, Utley and CC on the same team is phenominal. The only question I may see is power but if all of your guys produce like they are projected you will be fine. Very well balanced team and you should be there in the end. Please help me out

viewtopic.php?t=375426
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Meddler » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:57 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm not SUPER concerned about power, but I've gotten that a few times, and I kind of see it. Sure I don't have a slugger, but I have three 30 HR bats, plus at least four more 20+ HR bats, including one at C and one at SS, and maybe five depending on how optimistic you are about Cruz. And that's a floor for most of those guys, there's also upside for more in almost all of them. And Damon isn't powerless. Plus I love Snider, I'm not going to throw any predictions out there yet, but his power potential is tremendous.

If I need to, where do you think I should trade from? I feel like I don't have any obvious surpluses right now. If Johnson is as good as he looked last year and stays healthy, plus Danks is able to do what he did last year, SP should be a huge strength and I might be able to afford dealing Haren. If Snider is as good as I think he is and Wright and Utley both up their SB totals, I can possibly afford to lose an outfielder, but people would have to really go nuts over like Milledge or Werth or Cruz, which is possible, but not definite.
Meddler
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby espnsportsfan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:31 am

You have no really proven stud in the outfield but i like the group you have running out there, might consider trading for a true slugger but as you said before you have compensated with stealthy power at certain positions. You have a surplus of RP which you could possibly deal from if needed (assuming they keep their jobs)
My Fantasy Baseball Blog:http://sandlotsabermetrics.com
espnsportsfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Spotter

Postby letter18 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:56 am

im not sure I understand the power criticism, I see a bunch of 20-30 hr guys when I look... your pitching kinda scares me. If c.c. starts out slow like he did last season you may be in trouble... I might consider sliding another solid 2 or 3 guy in there...
Check out my blog- http://agressivebaserunning.wordpress.com last update: 4/23
letter18
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Cafe Writer

Postby Meddler » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:12 am

Ha, so much for needing pitching help. CC may not be off to the best start, and the D'Backs aren't scoring for Haren, but Danks and Johnson have been money so far. We'll see on Zimmermann this weekend.
Meddler
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Hit Factory » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:50 am

Hey there, very nice team. Milledge is in the minors so you should either look to see if there are any good players available on the WW, and keep an eye on Stephen Drew's injury. Your pitching is really good however look to upgrade Motte, he is rough times.
Hit Factory
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Meddler » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:26 am

Updated roster after some tweaks. I'm in first place in my league and have been nearly all month. A recent trade puts me over the top, IMO. Here's how it shakes out now:

C - Brian McCann
1B - Kevin Youkilis
2B - Chase Utley
SS - Jimmy Rollins
3B - David Wright
OF - Johnny Damon
OF - Jayson Werth
OF - Travis Snider
Util - Pat Burrell
BN - Justin Upton
BN - Stephen Drew
DL - Cristian Guzman

SP - CC Sabathia
SP - Dan Haren
RP - Joakim Soria
RP - Frank Fransisco
P - Kevin Gregg
P - George Sherrill
P - Josh Johnson
BN - John Danks
BN - Armando Galarraga
BN - David Price

The trade was as follows

I get:

Jimmy Rollins
Pat Burrell

I give:

Nelson Cruz
Brandon Inge

I know Jimmy Rollins is in a slump at the moment, but I feel like I sold sky high on Cruz and bought way low on Rollins. I was already leading my league in SBs, and I wasn't getting much production out of Drew. I had actually just picked up Inge about a week ago as an FA while McCann was having all those eye problems, which hopefully clear up. If they do and Rollins can get untract, I have a juggernaut infield. I'm not too crazy about Burrell, but with Damon, Upton, Werth, and Snider I feel like I'll be able to match up well in my outfield on most days. Mark Reynolds is out there on the FA, I considered picking him up instead of Upton and making him my regular DH, but I wanted the flexibility in my outfield and Upton obviously has more upside. The plan for now is to stand pat, and then try to time a Drew trade to get good value (obviously now's not the time).
Meddler
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team