Oakland A's Rotation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Oakland A's Rotation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Oakland A's Rotation

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:41 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:I've always thought Halladay was a chance of being moved to Oakland this year, with J.P and Billy being buddies, and with the A's and Toronto liking the same type of players. Maybe that's a scenario to watch.


Ken Rosenthal thinks there is a good chance of Halladay getting moved this year, but I just don't see it happening this season. He's signed until 2010.


Being signed through 2010 could be the reason why Toronto try and move him.
With that extra year they could get something really impressive.
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11357
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Oakland A's Rotation

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:56 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:I've always thought Halladay was a chance of being moved to Oakland this year, with J.P and Billy being buddies, and with the A's and Toronto liking the same type of players. Maybe that's a scenario to watch.


Ken Rosenthal thinks there is a good chance of Halladay getting moved this year, but I just don't see it happening this season. He's signed until 2010.


Being signed through 2010 could be the reason why Toronto try and move him.
With that extra year they could get something really impressive.

Toronto desperately needs a bat and has some very solid pitching. If they could land a big bat they would be contenders for once. However, there are no contract year bats this year (except Adrian Beltre... though is his taxes are paid of Tru could single handedly carry any team to the world series :-b :-B ). I just don't see them trading Halladay without receiving a top 20 hitter in return.
Image
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1704
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Oakland A's Rotation

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:07 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:
Ken Rosenthal thinks there is a good chance of Halladay getting moved this year, but I just don't see it happening this season. He's signed until 2010.


Being signed through 2010 could be the reason why Toronto try and move him.
With that extra year they could get something really impressive.

Toronto desperately needs a bat and has some very solid pitching. If they could land a big bat they would be contenders for once. However, there are no contract year bats this year (except Adrian Beltre... though is his taxes are paid of Tru could single handedly carry any team to the world series :-b :-B ). I just don't see them trading Halladay without receiving a top 20 hitter in return.


Toronto would likely be looking for prospects in return for Halladay. Even if they got an established hitter in return this year, their pitching is a little thin with Marcum out for the year and McGowan also likely done for the season.

Unless it's an offer too good to turn down, I still don't see Halladay being moved this year.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 14875
(Past Year: 200)
Joined: 27 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Osaka Jail

Re: Oakland A's Rotation

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:59 pm

Getting back to the fantasy implications of Oakland's rotation....

Both Cahill and Anderson are very highly-regarded prospects, and prospect raters (at least the ones I read) are split on which is the better overall prospect, with Baseball America going with the more polished Anderson while Sickels and Kevin Goldstein prefer the strikeout potential of Cahill. While both are ground ball pitchers, Cahill has been moreso thus far.

But the question relevant here is which pitcher would you rather have on your team at this point? Cahill's probably got more upside given that he strikes out more, but he's less polished, and his control isn't nearly as sharp as Anderson's. For me, I think I'll take Anderson at this point. Anyone wanna convince me that Cahill can out-perform him?
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4351
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at Morimoto's, eating $50 worth of sushi

Re: Oakland A's Rotation

Postby HunglikeChampions » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:17 am

George_Foreman wrote:Getting back to the fantasy implications of Oakland's rotation....

Both Cahill and Anderson are very highly-regarded prospects, and prospect raters (at least the ones I read) are split on which is the better overall prospect, with Baseball America going with the more polished Anderson while Sickels and Kevin Goldstein prefer the strikeout potential of Cahill. While both are ground ball pitchers, Cahill has been moreso thus far.

But the question relevant here is which pitcher would you rather have on your team at this point? Cahill's probably got more upside given that he strikes out more, but he's less polished, and his control isn't nearly as sharp as Anderson's. For me, I think I'll take Anderson at this point. Anyone wanna convince me that Cahill can out-perform him?


I picked up both as FA's in my AL only league, so hopefully they both perform well:)
HunglikeChampions
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 63
Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Oakland A's Rotation

Postby Saltydog » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:30 pm

It's hard to ignore the A's track record with young pitchers.

Cahill got hit pretty hard last night in SF against a fairly weak hitting SF squad.

He admitted to jitters to pitching on a big league mound, but I will still take him if he's on the board after my starters are set.

It's also hard to ignore Anderson's pedigree. His father is a college coach, so Brett's been around the game and knows how to handle himself.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 760
(Past Year: 142)
Joined: 4 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Oakland A's Rotation

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:02 pm

Saltydog wrote:Cahill got hit pretty hard last night in SF against a fairly weak hitting SF squad.

He admitted to jitters to pitching on a big league mound, but I will still take him if he's on the board after my starters are set.

How could one not feel the jitters? 21 years old and has only pitched in little AA ball parks, then he's put on the mound in this huge beautiful park that is AT&T Park. I think he settled down pretty good after the shaky first inning. Gio Gonzalez looked much worse in relief.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 743
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Oakland A's Rotation

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:39 pm

when Duch does come back healthy would it be one of Cahil or Anderson that are to be sent down? or would that depend on how they pitch during the season?

as for the Jays and trading Halladay. they could use a solid big time bat coming back in return. a team that could use a big time pitcher like Halladay could be Texas. would Texas trade Chris Davis and something else? that could give the Jays some premium power bats for the future in Davis and Snider
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5002
(Past Year: 91)
Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Oakland A's Rotation

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:54 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:when Duch does come back healthy would it be one of Cahil or Anderson that are to be sent down? or would that depend on how they pitch during the season?

I would guess in 6+ weeks when Duch comes back that they send down the pitcher that is struggling the most out of Cahill, Anderson or Outman. I would be very surprised if none of the three stuggle. Hell, in 6 weeks this rotation could include Gonzalez, Gallagher and/or Mazzaro.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 743
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Oakland A's Rotation

Postby mt99808 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:50 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:when Duch does come back healthy would it be one of Cahil or Anderson that are to be sent down? or would that depend on how they pitch during the season?

as for the Jays and trading Halladay. they could use a solid big time bat coming back in return. a team that could use a big time pitcher like Halladay could be Texas. would Texas trade Chris Davis and something else? that could give the Jays some premium power bats for the future in Davis and Snider


Thank god you are not the GM of the Blue Jays. A trade for Halladay would include names like Smoak, Holland, Feliz ..... Davis might be a throw in.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 194
Joined: 14 May 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 30
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

NY Yankees at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(1:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(4:05 pm)
Minnesota at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(7:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(7:10 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)
Milwaukee at San Francisco
(9:05 pm)
Washington at Seattle
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact