Rate My Team....Drafted 11 RPs, Different Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate My Team....Drafted 11 RPs, Different Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate My Team....Drafted 11 RPs, Different Strategy

Postby hawaiistfball » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:28 pm

I am thinking of trading some of my RP for some quality bats (R,SB,AVG). But, I am not sure who would fit that criteria well. Any thoughts on who I should pick up or trade from my team? Thanks.
hawaiistfball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lachlanoddy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:27 pm

I would say that you clearly have saves locked.

And... because you have them all, you may be able to get away with an inflated value for them on the trade market; if no-one can get consistent saves, then getting two from you makes them able to consistently win in that dept against everyone except yourself... so I would conisder trading 3, maybe 4 like was suggested earlier, in exchange for GREAT hitting, or if you decide to enter the SP market, some very good SP...

I would e interested how this works for you... the other owners should be shot for allowing this to happen... there should definitely have been a closer run created by your drafting this way...
lachlanoddy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hawaiistfball » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Anyone have any suggestions on who I can trade my RPs for some quality bats (R,SB,AVG). Any thoughts on who I should pick up or trade from my team? Thanks.
hawaiistfball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rocky123 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:08 pm

I would hold on to Paps, Wood, Lindstrom and Capps (+ Cordero if you want to keep 5). Devine is going to see Dr. Death so he will do you no good. I can't see Lidge coming close to last years numbers (he was terrible the previous 2 years) so I would try to trade him high based on last year and due to name recognition and high saves you should get good value for Valverde, Wood and Wilson. Of course Nathan is a stud. I would try to flip them for guys like King Felix, Volquez, Liriano, Slowey or Beckett (as mentioned before high K guys except for Slowey who should be good for ratios)
Finally The Rock has come back....to New York City!!
rocky123
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Regalus » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:15 pm

I've seen this type of strategy played before. How it works for you, will depend on your league and your acquisitions.

The only problem I foresee is that your not guaranteed to win any of the categories your gunning for, but you are almost certainly going to lose the ones you punted.

Maybe it will work! Good Luck!
Regalus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Chaos151p » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:31 am

I'm not sure what your league limit is for waiver acquisitions or bench slots. I like the strategy, I always favor pitching myself since everyone looks for power - here's what I'm thinking, maybe you trade away 2 or 3 relievers max - guys like Lidge, Cordero, Wood could get you some extra lineup help easily or two or three decent starters - then you've got some help in wins & strikeouts. Now you stream starting pitching 2 or 3 times a week, move the bench around with spot starts and you contending for wins & strikeouts easily with your extra arms (on top of the 2 or 3 solid arms you dealt for) - your overloaded pen locks up saves & keeps the era/whip down. Shouldn't be hard winning almost every week.

Nice job!
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Goldenboy86 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:00 pm

I am pretty new at this fantasy thing but It seems to me that your strategy might work if you stay with it, but will most likely fail if you try and back out now. You punted 4 categories in hopes of winning the other categories, a risky strategy, but unless you are getting a top tier SP back for a couple of your relief pitchers I'd worry about one bad outing wrecking your ERA and WHIP. Therefore, you have to target steady SPs who rarely have bad outings and consistently put up low ERA and WHIP numbers. That type of SP comes at a premium where as batters with high SB, AVG, and R do not cost nearly as much. With the Monopoly of Saves that you appear to have in your league I would target a few bats that help you with the categories that you mentioned, if they happen to hit for power as well great but that is purely an ancillary benefit and one you shouldn't really be interested in as it will only make the bat more expensive. Just my take, hope it helped.
Goldenboy86
T-Ball Trainer

Postby letter18 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:21 pm

Well, as far as who you should pick up... mark teahen has had an absolutely absurd spring and shows no signs of slowing down.... who slugs 1000 in the spring? I know its only spring training, but its not the like the guy hasn't shown he can hit in the past, maybe he's finally living up to that promise?

Another guy i'd stick in the outfield is nick johnson... his ISOD(bating avg minus obp) is consistanly 100+ he has 20 hr power and is hitting in a lineup of nationals that is much improevd... he gets on base a lot and will have the oppurtunity to score runs, I like him a lot.
Check out my blog- http://agressivebaserunning.wordpress.com last update: 4/23
letter18
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Cafe Writer

Postby Carnac » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:47 am

Look for teams in need of closers. Target them and check out all their pitchers. Offer Wilson, Cordero and Capps separately to 3 different teams. Target guys like Nolasco, Lilly and Sherzer (pitchers who will get a decent amount of K's but keep the ratios down as well).

good luck
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hawaiistfball » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Well after the first week, I won 7-3. I won R, RBI, SB, AVG, S, WHIP, ERA. After looking at the end other teams totals, it looks like my other matchups will be closer. I have made some changes since the last time I posted my roster. What do you think?

I traded Zimmerman/Pheralta for Figgins/Kendrick during last week. Right after the trade was completed, he dropped Zimmerman.

C Bengie Molina, SF C
1B Mark Teixeira, NYY 1B
2B Emilio Bonifacio, Fla 2B
3B Chone Figgins, LAA 3B
SS Marco Scutaro, Tor 2B, 3B, SS
2B/SS Howie Kendrick, LAA 2B
1B/3B Justin Morneau, Min 1B
OF Carl Crawford, TB OF
OF Jacoby Ellsbury, Bos OF
OF Cameron Maybin, Fla OF
OF Shin-Soo Choo, Cle OF
OF Randy Winn, SF OF