Rate My Team....Drafted 11 RPs, Different Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate My Team....Drafted 11 RPs, Different Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate My Team....Drafted 11 RPs, Different Strategy

Postby hawaiistfball » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:33 am

I am in a 5X5 H2H with 10 Teams. I decided to focus on getting R, SB, AVG for my batters and S, ERA, WHIP for my pitchers. This way I will mostly likely win 6 categories each week, but I have a chance to win maybe RBI or W depending on the week. Tell me what you think. Thanks.

C Bengie Molina, C
1B Mark Teixeira, 1B
2B Placido Polanco, 2B
3B Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
SS Jhonny Peralta, SS
2B/SS Mike Aviles, 2B, SS
1B/3B Justin Morneau, 1B
OF Ichiro Suzuki, OF
OF Carl Crawford, OF
OF Jacoby Ellsbury, OF
OF Cameron Maybin, OF
OF Shin-Soo Choo, OF
UTIL Orlando Cabrera, SS
Bench Randy Winn, OF

P Jonathan Papelbon, RP
P Joe Nathan, RP
P Brad Lidge, RP
P Jose Valverde, RP
P Kerry Wood, RP
P Matt Capps, RP
P Francisco Cordero, RP
P Brian Wilson, RP
P Joey Devine, RP
Bench Matt Lindstrom, RP
Bench J.J. Putz, RP
Last edited by hawaiistfball on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
hawaiistfball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate My Team....Tried A Different Strategy

Postby decatur squares » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:53 am

Well, if save are a category then there is no way you have to worry about that. Im amazed there wasnt a run on RPs when you started grabing all of them. I think you may be a little off on the wins idea. I dont think you are going to win in the wins category on any week. I think peralta and maybin could hurt your bid for avg., but overall your pretty good there.

I'm a little up in the air on how your strategy will work. You may be giving up on too many categories to make sure you win the others. I just dont know?

I would be interested in see updates as the year goes on.
decatur squares
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Rate My Team....11 RPs, Different Strategy

Postby hawaiistfball » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:38 am

Yeah, I figured that I have saves on lock down with 11 RPs. I am also thinking that I can use a few to maybe upgrade my hitting a little. I would agree, I am not sure why they didn't notice me picking up all the RPs. I would agree that peralta and maybin could hurt me in avg., but I was thinking that maybe I trade 1 or 2 RPs away to get some better batters (BA/SB/R). Any other thoughts?
hawaiistfball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Rate My Team....Drafted 11 RPs, Different Strategy

Postby Tarquin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:05 am

This is a case where you are overloading saves. Yes with your 9 closers you are definitely winning saves every week, but the last 4 closers are providing severely diminishing returns.

For example, in H2H in a 10 team league I would say there will be around ~800-900 saves at the end of the year total, which averages out to around 4 per week. You currently have about 13-14 saves per week with the closers. If you win each week 7-4 or you win each week 13-4 you are still only getting 1 win. The amount you win by does not matter.

Essentially what I mean is that if you trade 4 of your closers and are left with 5 you will still win saves 80% of the time rather than 100%, but if you get 4 decent starters for those closers you might win K's and Wins 40% of the time. (Im pulling these numbers out of a hat but its just to give an example).

The sum of winning K's/Wins 40% of the time with saves 80% of the time is better than winning saves 100% of the time and winning K's/wins 10% of the time. This also applies to your lineup.

Punting 4 categories is not smart, generally the strategy I follow is to be around the average in 7 categories, punt 1 category, and dominate 2 categories (By dominate I mean about 30%-40% above the average). Also the categories to dominate should be the most consistent on a week by week basis. A lot of H2H is based on luck (One week you might get 14 SB's and win that category 14-3, while the next week you get 4 stolen bases and lose the category 5-4). The objective is to take the categories that are more consistent and dominate them so that you can be almost certain you are winning those categories. If you try to dominate less consistent categories there is still a good chance you will lose them on a week by week basis, and a good chance that you will be using those stats very inefficiently (Like the stolen base example).
Tarquin
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hawaiistfball » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:12 am

I would agree that I am overloading saves, but I figure that I could add quality bats or starting pitching. Any ideas on quality pitchers (K, W) that I could trade my closers for?
hawaiistfball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Tarquin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:29 am

I would try to get guys like Kazmir, Grienke, Harden, Oswalt, King Felix etc. Its going to depend on how smart the rest of your league is in terms of what you can get back. If they follow Yahoo O-Ranks (If your league is on yahoo) closely I can see you getting those guys for some combo of Lidge, Valverde, Wood, Capps , Nathan.

I would keep Papelbon, Lindstrom (You wont get much value back for him) and Cordero and 1-2 other closers though for 4-5 total.
Tarquin
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby decatur squares » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:36 pm

I would consider offering a guy like Brian Wilson for Scott Baker for Min. Wilson is ranked higher then he should be because of his saves last season. I dont think he will be able to do what he did last year. His Ks will probably go up, but with an ERA as high has is will probably be I dont think he will be as lucky as he was last season.

Other guys I would target would be:
Jimeniz-Col
Cueto-Cin
Kazmir- Tam

Maybe go for high K guys to give yourself an edge in that category.
decatur squares
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hawaiistfball » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks guys. Anyone else?
hawaiistfball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:58 pm

I went closer-heavy in one ESPN draft (I'm guessing this is ESPN -- same setup, anyway). There's usually at least one in every draft room. Anyway, I went with 4 starters and 8 closers (/relievers -- I grabbed Ray as one of those). We'll see how it works. But I waited for Soria to start loading up on closers, which allowed me to grab some better bats, and I don't think my closers are really any worse for it. That's how I would do this strategy, but the speed-heavy approach could work.

Since you're looking to win era and whip, I'd look to trade closers who have a particularly bad whip (Wilson, Cordero) for good-whip starters. Greinke's okay, Baker and Slowey are both very good, and all are mid-range. I'd never trade any one of them for Wilson or Cordero, but you might get lucky, especially in a closer-starved league. I'd worry about guys like Jimenez -- sure, he'll help with strikeouts, but one outing with bad control could kill your pitching cats for the week (since, more innings, more weight in era and whip). But if you want to go that way, Oliver Perez is another guy who can help with k's, who's widely available or cheap. He also has a better team, and if Citi's good to pitchers, he could be a real asset.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 70)

Postby hawaiistfball » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:59 pm

With my current pitching staffing listed below, could you please rank/give feedback on them. I am trying to decide who to keep and who to trade. Thanks.

Also, any suggestions of people to trade for would be greatly appreciated.

P Jonathan Papelbon, RP
P Joe Nathan, RP
P Brad Lidge, RP
P Jose Valverde, RP
P Kerry Wood, RP
P Matt Capps, RP
P Francisco Cordero, RP
P Brian Wilson, RP
P Joey Devine, RP
Bench Matt Lindstrom, RP
Bench J.J. Putz, RP
hawaiistfball