Just finished how did I do WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Just finished how did I do WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Just finished how did I do WHIR

Postby BigRy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:04 pm

i agree about your pitching...no real guy to hang your hat on and know he will produce consistently..at least goinginto the season.

cain always teases with potential and gets little run support but with the emergence of pablo sandoval knocking the ball around maybe thatll change.

also, your closers are a weak spot for sure

please help

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=375701
BigRy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Invictus » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:19 pm

I honestly don't see the pitching problems that everyone is talking about. As far as saves go, who cares who you get them from, as long as you get them. The pitching strategy in and of itself looks good as well - while you have no number one, you have a good number of 2's, 3's and 4's that leave you having a balanced staff while, im assuming giving the number pitchers you carry, other teams will have a number 1, 3's, 4's and 5's. In the end it should balance out.

In terms of offense, I'm not sold on Cano. I DO think he has good potential, and will likely do better this year than last, but I think that 2nd base is your true upgrade point.

Thanks so much for your help with mine. GOOD LUCK! ;-D
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Meddler » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:50 pm

Solid team. I'm fine with how you handled your pitching, it doesn't seem like a huge weakness to me, and could be a strength. Verlander's the one guy I feel might be a bit overvalued, but he's useful. Cain, Baker, Meche are all solid values. I like your outfield as well. Markakis is no secret, and I think Kemp gets a bit overvalued and you can find similar types of players generally later on, but I'm a big fan of Werth. I've wound up with him in both my real drafts and numerous mock drafts. He's a great source of speed and power for your outfield in the mid-late rounds. Good infield too. I understand being down on Cano, but I feel like its gotten to the point where people are so down on him he's become a nice bargain in a lot of drafts. Peralta is nothing special, but he's a solid mid-round SS. I'd be a little bit worried about RP, but you should never get too worried about RP before the season starts.

Overall, as it is it looks like a quality team. I think my only concern would be that you don't have much depth at any one position, so if you have a need sometime down the road, it may be difficult to figure out what part of your roster to deal from. But you have lots of multi-category guys, and that goes a long way to reducing your risk, which IMO is more important than making sure you have the depth to swing a big trade. Its nice to have both, but if I had to pick one or the other I'd take the multi-category guys in a heartbeat.
Meddler
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby got2bdab » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:12 am

I don't see that big of concern with you not having an ace. However, I am really not crazy about the back end of your rotation. Also, Lyon is pretty worthless for a reliever. I would just stay active on the WW and pick up some guys with high upside and start off the season well. Your hitting is solid, but not overpowering, so I wouldn't trade any hitters to get any pitchers. You should be alright, but I'm going off what I predict a good 14-team league team looks like (never done such a big league).

By the way. What does WHIR mean?
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
got2bdab
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheGinner » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:11 am

shoelessjoetara wrote:14 team mixed roto league. I agree that I don't have the typical "Ace Pitcher" but I drafted knowing that I was not targeting that type of pitcher. Billingsley, Verlander, Cain and Baker are not pitchers with name recognition but they do provide solid K, ERA and WHIP. I feel drafting a pitcher with a high win projection is a crapshoot simply because if the team he plays for can't score runs, he won't get wins. Bills, Verlander and Baker can win games because there teams are competitive. The wildcard is Escobar because of his upside if he is healthy. If he comes back healthy he will give me another pitcher in the same value of the four already stated. I also like Owings because of his dynamite stuff. He was injured last year but early in the season he was solid and looks to be pitching great in spring training.

C Chris Iannetta
1B Lance Berkman
2B Robinson Cano
3B David Wright
SS Jhonny Peralta
OF Nick Markakis
OF Matt Kemp
OF Jayson Werth
CI Pablo Sandavol
MI Jose Lopez
DH Andre Ethier
SP Chad Billingsley
SP Justin Verlander
SP Matt Cain
SP Scott Baker
SP Gil Meche
SP Kelvim Escobar
SP Micah Owings
SP James McDonald
SP David Purcey
SP Dave Bush
RP Mike Gonzalez
RP Heath Bell
RP Brandon Lyon
BN David Dejesus
BN Daniel Murphy

Thanks for the help for my post.

I agree that not drafting an ACE in round 1-5 is helpful and we both drafted accordingly. But don't undermind BILLINGSLY! This kid has the makings of a FANTASY ACE. Very nice pickup.
C-like
1b-like
2b-If you didn't overpay for Cano - he's Mr. Consistant, so I like
3b-worst pick ever. I hate Wright, he's a waste of a pick - APRIL FOOLS!!!! LOVE David RIGHT!!! ;-D
ss-Peralta has sleeper tattoo'd across his head like a fratboy passed out on a couch
OF-20/20 writen all over each of them
CI - dont like Pablo, but if you're using him as a C backup thats OK.
MI - Jose Lopez - did you see the WBC? Kid will be *hopefully* be HOT this year.

Not gonna go in depth on your pitching. You have WAY MORE REWARD THAN RISK which is any fantasy players dream draft, especially pitching.

Remember that you can always find an uprising star on the pitching WW rather than a big bat.

:-° A+ :-°
TheGinner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby TheGinner » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:14 am

got2bdab wrote:By the way. What does WHIR mean?

WILL HELP IN RETURN

It just means that you'll put a little effort into helping someone else out when they take the time to help you.... Forum love O:-)
TheGinner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby BatBoy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:54 am

Agree with most others. Pretty good overall, but an upgrade at SP and 2B would be nice. I think Gonzalez and Bell are good options at RP. Otherwise looks great! ;-D
"Baseball is dull only to dull minds"
BatBoy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:22 am

I like your pitching staff, and for the closers it doesn't matter who gives you the saves as that is primarily the only stat you're looking for from them. A good ERA and WHIP from your SP should counter any high numbers from the closers. I like your offense as well, I guess if you want to upgrade Cano that would be fine, but I wouldn't be terribly upset with him as my 2B there are a lot more that could be worse to have. Especially in a league with MI slots.
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ROC AllStars » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:56 pm

BatBoy wrote:Agree with most others. Pretty good overall, but an upgrade at SP and 2B would be nice. I think Gonzalez and Bell are good options at RP. Otherwise looks great! ;-D

Thanks for the help on mine. I agree here, though I think your SP will be just fine. Billingsley isn't quite to the elite level, but he's pretty darn close. If he can cut down on the walks he's going to be a great value. It's your RP that needs work, Lyon seems to be out, and Gonzalez is an injury risk. Is anyone still available on the WW?
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Hey Hermano » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:06 pm

I like Cano. I was able to pick him up in the 9th round of my 12-team draft. When he gets hot, he absolutely scorches the ball. Last year was a down year, but he was also unlucky - his BABIP was 40 points below his career average. As a Yankee fan I'm biased, but he's also shown flashes of plate discipline. He's already drawn 6 walks in only 13 games this season. If he were on last season's pace, it would have taken him 38 games to do it.

The drop-off from Cano to Alexei Ramirez or Kelly Johnson is a lot bigger than people think, in my opinion.

I like the offense, with Berkman and Wright in your infield, and Markakis with Kemp/Ethier for OFs.

Your pitching staff is filled with solid dudes. Chad Billingsley is like the best possible non-#1 starter you can get; I like him better than Hamels, even. I also like Gil Meche, very solid guy to round out the rotation. Micah Owings I'm skeptical about. It seems like he's more like a novelty with his bat, and without it, he's just a league-average 5th starter.

the "IR" in "WHIR":http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=379613
Hey Hermano
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team