Trade Offer of Free Agent - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Offer of Free Agent

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Offer of Free Agent

Postby RancerDS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Couple of years or so ago, a friend of mine from a serious message board joined one of my fantasy baseball leagues on Yahoo!. He was a HUGE BoSox fan. Naturally he took as many BoSox players as possible, which hurt him to a minor extent when setting up daily lineups. I think a lot of new fantasy managers make that mistake.

After the first week or so, we are doing fairly well in this H2H, with an upcoming match between us in Week 3. We both had a rougher Week 2. So we both look at what is in free agency. This guy (whom I called a "friend") talks to me offsite about a trade offer where he throws me Giambi (1b) for one of his BoSox and another guy. Having paid attention closely to his draft, I took another gander, thinking I must have missed his FA move. Sure enough, no Giambi. So I contact him to tell that he can't propose a trade on Yahoo if he doesn't have him on his team's roster. He says "Oh, I'll pick him up when you agree to trade for him". I was incredulous.

I took the time to explain to him that if I wanted Giambi, which I clearly didn't since I could have taken him off FA instantaneously, that I wouldn't give up 2 of my starters for a FA pickup, no matter how brilliant that FA move seemed (barring any huge injury issues). So I told him to involve players on his own team and he asked what was wrong with Giambi. IT appeared that the message simply wasn't getting through.

It's not unusual to find fantasy owners that want something for nothing. It was just a shock that someone whom I thought held a mutual respect for me as I did them would try to play some kind of "game". And it honestly felt like he didn't realize how he was trying to "stiff" me in order to get what he really wanted in the end.
The average baseball fan watches the Boston Red Sox. The dedicated fan watches the Kansas City Royals.
RancerDS
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Offer of Free Agent

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:20 pm

Oof, old story's ghosts coming out of the woodworks for you, eh? Facing off against this guy again this season? Either way, sounds like a serious case of cluelessness going on there. Reminds me of times when people call me out for trying to trade someone that I got off the FA wire weeks ago. People remember this stuff and like you said, they know they can usually get someone similar off of the wire as well if they really wanted to.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby silverZ » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:31 pm

Wow. Tell him if you wanted Giambi you would pick him up yourself. If he doesn't understand that you might as well be talking to wall paper.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:18 pm

That's hilarious. :-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby horatio » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:43 am

eh, sounds like he's a dim wit and you're too sensitive.

I woulda just laughed and told the guy he was an idiot and moved on.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:54 am

This punk ass offered me Liriano for Manny in my yearly redraft in late '06....about 6 hours after it was announced that Liriano would miss the rest of the year.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:58 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:This punk ass offered me Liriano for Manny in my yearly redraft in late '06....about 6 hours after it was announced that Liriano would miss the rest of the year.

Unfortunately, I've had this happen to me a couple times (Never accepted the offer!). First thing I do anymore when I get a trade offer that I like is check the health status of the other players.

Some people just get their kicks from being scummy and trying to rip others off.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:01 am

RAmst23 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:This punk ass offered me Liriano for Manny in my yearly redraft in late '06....about 6 hours after it was announced that Liriano would miss the rest of the year.

Unfortunately, I've had this happen to me a couple times (Never accepted the offer!). First thing I do anymore when I get a trade offer that I like is check the health status of the other players.

Some people just get their kicks from being scummy and trying to rip others off.

That's when you offer them Jason Kendall for Albert Pujols and Johan Santana to show them the error of their ways. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:55 am

AussieDodger wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:

That's when you offer them Jason Kendall for Albert Pujols and Johan Santana to show them the error of their ways. ;-D

Yea, that I've definitely done too! Oh angry Internet shenanigans, they never get old :-B
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jcde7ago » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:16 am

Man, this brings back memories from 2006, when some owner offered me Chris Shelton (remember the 9 homers in the first 13 games? :-b ) and Aramis Ramirez for my A-Rod/Vlad and Oswalt. He had just picked up Shelton off waivers and only had him for about a week when he proposed the trade.

I went nuts and called him out in the league message boards, and I did not stop sending him bs counter proposals for a good 10 days or so. I even got some of the other managers to do the same thing, until finally the guy pleaded for everyone to stop. I continued hounding him for the rest of the season, all the way until Shelton got sent to AAA...it backfired though, cause the guy got all butthurt and stopped checking his lineup, and it's never usually fun when a manager stops checking (i only do a Yahoo! public league every year out of tradition)...but in this case it was totally worth it ;-D
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers