Elvis Andrus - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Elvis Andrus

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Elvis Andrus

Postby Robbierob99 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:58 pm

I get the baseline expectations, i.e. .250ba, 2hrs, 20-25sbs, 55runs, 40rbis, but what does everyone think his potential upside is?

Here's a couple of things that point UPWARD for me:
- The rangers actually look to be much more potent offensively than they were last year, i.e. more opportunities for RUNS and RBIS
- if Andrus can hit above .290 (not saying it's likely) he could get moved up in the lineup (he has shown he can post decent .OBP numbers)
- He's all but guaranteed the starting job for 2 months, i.e. the rope is not very short to pull the plug and go with Omar Vizquel

If the first 2 above prove to be true (or even somewhat true) I think .280ba, 2hrs, 30+sb, 70+runs, 60+rbis could be the true BASELINE projection.
And After reading the latest "SLEEPERS AWAKE" article I think he could come close to a SUPERSLEEPER classification.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this
Robbierob99
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Elvis Andrus

Postby RancerDS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:33 pm

While I agree with the sleeper status...

The Rangers are one of those organizations who seem less patient that others when it comes to bringing rookies along into the majours. The fact that they did move Young to 3rd to give this guy a chance DOES surprise me and qualifies Andrus for being a sleeper. Yet it wouldn't surprise me to see them putting Blalock back in at 3rd and moving Young back to SS.

To me, he's like a Tony Pena Jr. Could be potentially very big or could have a rough go of it for a couple of pro seasons.
The average baseball fan watches the Boston Red Sox. The dedicated fan watches the Kansas City Royals.
RancerDS
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby spark0901 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:49 am

Why does Yahoo have this guy listed NA? Did he get demoted or something?
spark0901
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AllThingsUpland » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:52 am

Yawn. Defense+No Power+No Avg+Steals=not on my roster.

Emmanual burris in the last round FTW.
Check out my Fantasy Baseball Podcast Guide at http://fantasypodcastguide.blogspot.com/
AllThingsUpland
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rentz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:05 pm

RancerDS wrote:While I agree with the sleeper status...

The Rangers are one of those organizations who seem less patient that others when it comes to bringing rookies along into the majours. The fact that they did move Young to 3rd to give this guy a chance DOES surprise me and qualifies Andrus for being a sleeper. Yet it wouldn't surprise me to see them putting Blalock back in at 3rd and moving Young back to SS.

To me, he's like a Tony Pena Jr. Could be potentially very big or could have a rough go of it for a couple of pro seasons.

theyve been more patient the past few years with pitchers, but have been slightly aggressive with some of the more talented position players minor league assignments.
It shouldnt surprise anyone that young was moved to 3rd, he simply isn't that great of a shortstop regardless of the gold glove.
Blalock won't get more than some spot starts at 3rd from what i'm hearing due to health issues he's had.

Don't expect much from andrus this year, given a full year he might steal 20+ bases, but he wont hit for much avg this season, but hes capable of posting a decent avg.
His biggest attribute is defense, which wont translate to fantasy.

his biggest value is probably in a keeper league with enough bench spots to stash him away.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AllDay » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:53 am

I was fully expecting to roster him today only to see someone beat me to him.

I really don't expect that much out of him either - but in deeper leagues you have to look at these guys.

Really you gotta have a couple spots where you can chase the hot player anyways, and a pre-emptive grab of an upside rookie is looking like a lot better option to me than sticking with some middling journeyman bench player competing for some injury fill in time in your line-up.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bmfote » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:43 pm

woo double!
bmfote
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Neboguy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:40 pm

The year was 2006. The round was 23. The pick was Hanley Ramirez. A rookie short stop acquired by the Marlins in the Josh Beckett trade. After picking up Brandon Phillips 2 weeks later, my roster consisted of Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, Dave Roberts, and Brandon Phillips. Needless to say, all but Phillips were off my team and had been traded for superior talent as I was blowing the league away in steals. The moral of the story? Andrus has a realistic shot to perform like Hanley Ramirez, maybe not the power and maybe not so soon, but I'd pick him up if he is available, the Rangers lineup is POTENT! Even batting 9th, Andrus has Kinsler and Young batting behind him to knock him in.
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

Please Leave Feedback!

Neboguy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:50 pm

Neboguy wrote:The year was 2006. The round was 23. The pick was Hanley Ramirez. A rookie short stop acquired by the Marlins in the Josh Beckett trade. After picking up Brandon Phillips 2 weeks later, my roster consisted of Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, Dave Roberts, and Brandon Phillips. Needless to say, all but Phillips were off my team and had been traded for superior talent as I was blowing the league away in steals. The moral of the story? Andrus has a realistic shot to perform like Hanley Ramirez, maybe not the power and maybe not so soon, but I'd pick him up if he is available, the Rangers lineup is POTENT! Even batting 9th, Andrus has Kinsler and Young batting behind him to knock him in.

So, basically:

* Three years ago you picked Hanley Ramirez.
* Therefore, this year Elvis Andrus = Hanley Ramirez?

Huh?!?!?! You seem to be missing a few steps.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Neboguy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:09 pm

^^^Andrus has a realistic shot to perform like Hanley Ramirez, maybe not the power and maybe not so soon, but I'd pick him up if he is available, the Rangers lineup is POTENT! Even batting 9th, Andrus has Kinsler and Young batting behind him to knock him in.

The blanks will be filled in by Andrus. If you are good at evaluating talent, you would see Andrus has the chance to be a stud. The Rangers think so . . .
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

Please Leave Feedback!

Neboguy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates