Mike Lowell - Return to prior form in '09? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Lowell - Return to prior form in '09?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Lowell - Return to prior form in '09?

Postby Mortician » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:17 pm

After his arthroscopic hip surgery, Does anyone think he can return to his prior form in '09? Not so much his '07 numbers, which would be very difficult being one of his career years. But I'm hoping maybe .275 20hr 80r 90rbi.

Is that far from what most of you project for him, coming off the surgery, or am I close. At his ADP, he could be a steal if he can produce a line like that. Any thoughts?
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mike Lowell - Return to prior form in '09?

Postby Matthias » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm

Lowell is getting seriously old. You barely see him with a look on his face other than a grimace. I would expect 2/3 of a season, tops, from him. There's a reason that the Red Sox were pursuing Tex with $25MM/yr or whatever it was.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mortician » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:29 pm

could he produce enough to own in a deep 12 team, maybe if you had a handcuff. I just drafted him sunday night in a deep 12 team (Pitching heavy) so I had no 3B option (other than my super util f. lopez)until the 24th rnd, and then took him there. Not counting last year, he averaged about 150 games a year for the prior 7 yrs. I'm hoping to get about 130-140 this year. Is that asking too much, or about right?
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby CadensDad » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:40 pm

He's worth a late round pick in deep leagues. He will post avg numbers across the board.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Big Game JLo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:32 pm

Matthias wrote:Lowell is getting seriously old. You barely see him with a look on his face other than a grimace. I would expect 2/3 of a season, tops, from him. There's a reason that the Red Sox were pursuing Tex with $25MM/yr or whatever it was.

I've never heard that draft strategy before. Drafting someone based on his facial expressions! :-B
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:10 pm

Big Game JLo wrote:
Matthias wrote:Lowell is getting seriously old. You barely see him with a look on his face other than a grimace. I would expect 2/3 of a season, tops, from him. There's a reason that the Red Sox were pursuing Tex with $25MM/yr or whatever it was.

I've never heard that draft strategy before. Drafting someone based on his facial expressions! :-B

It's money.

BP tried incorporating it into PECOTA but didn't have enough of an image database to make it work.

But seriously, I would not bank on Lowell for much for this year. I just had my auction of a 12-team mixed league auction with CI and 2 Utility spots where half the league is a bunch of Red Sox fanboys and Lowell went for $3.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:15 pm

Three cheers for old man strength :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby stumpak » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:14 pm

I think Lowell is being underrated this year.

Sure he is getting older, but he is 35, not 45. Look at his splits from last year. He was excellent in the first half before the hip acted up. If he is truely healthy (which is still a bit of question mark) why would he not perform up to his usual standard?

It is fair to be concerned about his overall health and the potential for additional nagging injuries, but if healthy, he should perform.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:16 pm

I think Lowell is being underrated as well. He should hit for good average in that park and will throw in high teen, low 20's HR and decent R/RBI. I like him more than a lot of other 'sleeper' 3B that get picked ahead of him.

edit : And by low 20's I mean like 20 or 21, heh.
Last edited by Ender on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:20 pm

Ender wrote:I think Lowell is being underrated as well. He should hit for good average in that park and will throw in high teen, low 20's HR and decent R/RBI. I like him more than a lot of other 'sleeper' 3B that get picked ahead of him.

I agree with this. In drafts where I have waited to get a 3B late and gotten guys like Gordon, Beltre, etc. I have made sure to grab Lowell real late as another possibility. He absolutely loves hitting in that park in Boston with the monster.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Return to Baseball Leftovers