Fielder or Davis? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fielder or Davis?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fielder or Davis?

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:25 pm

Nails86 wrote:Yoda are you trying to say that this is even a legitimate question?

Go with on of the big 3 "Fat Sluggas" here. No questions asked. You will not be disappointed!

You definitely have a screw or a nail loose.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:27 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:if chris davis ever puts up a .285/40-44 HR/100R/110 RBI line, i will be very surprised. pretty sure thats outside of his potential..

It wouldn't suprise me if Davis had a couple 40hr seasons....I think you might be underrating what his ceiling could be. Davis can mash with the best of them.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:37 pm

so you guys are saying the Chris Davis is capable of leading the AL in home runs?

1. I think you guys are looking too hard at a small sample of a hot player.. he was very good for 300 AB's last year, but I dont think he can sustain such offensive prowess.

2. when do you think this 40 HR season(s) is gonna happen? this year? next year?

3. Prince Fielder is a machine. for being an "overweight, fat, unhealthy guy" he has played in 157, 158, and 159 games. and does not only have serious HR power, but is also a doubles factory. if everyone just forgets about the first month and a half last year, Prince is a first round pick. but of couse we can't forget about it.. because ability to slump is something that has to be factored in..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 404)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:so you guys are saying the Chris Davis is capable of leading the AL in home runs?

Yes

lastingsgriller wrote:1. I think you guys are looking too hard at a small sample of a hot player.. he was very good for 300 AB's last year, but I dont think he can sustain such offensive prowess.

Correction Davis played at 3 levels as a 22 yo and put up:
129 R, 41 2B, 40 HR, 128 RBI

lastingsgriller wrote:2. when do you think this 40 HR season(s) is gonna happen? this year? next year?

No idea when it will happen but he is only 23 yo in 09

lastingsgriller wrote:3. Prince Fielder is a machine. for being an "overweight, fat, unhealthy guy" he has played in 157, 158, and 159 games. and does not only have serious HR power, but is also a doubles factory. if everyone just forgets about the first month and a half last year, Prince is a first round pick. but of couse we can't forget about it.. because ability to slump is something that has to be factored in..

Look at his father as a comp. Players at his size tend to have a short life span due to immobility, injuries etc. Plenty of players eat their way out of the league. He has a lot of room to grow and there is no telling what he will look like when he is 30.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chargerss24 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:44 pm

Cecil his 51 homers when he was what, 25 and 44 the following year and it went down hill from there. Prince hit 50 at 23 and 34 last year at 24. It's too early to see if that's a trend, plus the fact that Price was two years younger than his old man when he hit 50. But they are numbers that caught my eye to make me wonder if Prince is going to flame out in a few years.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 125)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:48 pm

I wouldn't worry about 3-5 years into the future. Fielder is the better bet right now and that is all you need to care about.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby fezzik » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:49 pm

You can speculate to no end. Right now, in a keeper league, I would take Fielder. Yes, Davis might end up better long-term...but I'd rather go with the proven guy.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:55 pm

Everyone knows I love Davis, but I'd stick with Fielder for now. If he stays healthy for 4 more years and hits 43-48 HR a year with a .375-.390 OBP and a .285-.295 AVG, he'll be more valuable than 6 years of 35-40 HR, .325-.340 OBP, and .265-.275 AVG from Davis, which is about what I expect from him from what we've seen so far. Fielder K's less and walks a lot more.

However, I wouldn't be even a bit surprised to see Davis turn into a top 25 hitter very fast. He's got tremendous power and 50+ HR upside in peak years. If he just becomes more selective with the pitches he gets, his AVG and OBP would rise to .285/.350, and he'd become an absolute monster. The problem is that it's all about ifs and coulds right now, given his lack of experience, so we can't anoint him as the second coming of Mark McGwire (sans steroids, of course).

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:04 pm

1. yes, Davis destroyed in the minors. obviously thats why flew through the minors and was playing big league ball last year. regardless, there is no need to argue Davis' future, thats something we'll just have to wait and see. we'll know if he capable of a 40 HR season after this year..

2. read my prevous posts and you will note that I said prince would fall off sharply after he is 30.. but thats still a ways a way.

Prince v. Cecil comparison

1. Cecil was never as good of a hitter as prince. way more strikeouts, worse avg./obp, not even close to as many doubles/extra base hits

2. Cecil's 2 best seasons were when he was 27 and 28.. so if you are gonna say their career's will follow a similar path, then you've gotta believe the best is yet to come for prince.

3. Cecil really fell off in 95/96 when he was 32/33 years old... and this was following his injury in 94 when he was on pace to have one of his best power seasons.. he came back in '95 weighing way more than when he left in '94 and looking much worse.

4. mind you Cecil was only a .250-.260 hitter for most of his career so once the power started to tail off their really wasn't much left.. he was never the all-around hitter that his son is..
Last edited by lastingsgriller on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 404)

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:04 pm

If I were to do a keeper league right now I would draft Fielder ahead of Davis, no questions asked.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers