Tigers release Sheffield - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tigers release Sheffield

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tigers release Sheffield

Postby Spartans Rule » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:03 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:Right now, Sheffield is the undeniable best Free Agent on the market. Period. He's free with the potential to be worth an all-star. I see no reason the Jays and Rangers don't want him. Stupid really.

Yeah, who wouldn't want a DH with a .726 OPS?

Sheffield could be useful, but there's no "potential to be worth an all-star" at this point.

kab21 wrote:I think some are overrating Sheff's current abilities. A team doesn't just flat-out release a player making $14M if he can be a solid player. Look at how long the M's held onto Sexson last year before cutting him. But just like Sexson somebody might pick him up to give him a try as a RH platoon bat or RH bench bat.

I agree with this. Leyland and Dombrowski are both huge Sheffield fans and wouldn't have eaten that $14M unless they really had to. All signs point to washed up at this point, unfortunately.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Guru » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:06 am

I think Thames has showed he's not an everyday starter over the years. He'll platoon the DH spot, but as of right now its hard to tell who that other guy will be.

I think Larish will be his platoon partner; hes got some pop.
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby auclairkeithbc » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:11 am

The Guru wrote:I think Thames has showed he's not an everyday starter over the years. He'll platoon the DH spot, but as of right now its hard to tell who that other guy will be.

I think Larish will be his platoon partner; hes got some pop.

there is a chance that detroit isn't too confident with guillen in the OF, so they might be looking to DH him, and platoon Josh Anderson with Thames in LF.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:12 am

i would absolutely love sheff coming off the bench. we released jenkins, seemingly to sign sheff or another right handed bat. league minimum, 5th OF, available for PH duties or LF against a tough lefty. :-L

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:23 am

Snakes Gould wrote:i would absolutely love sheff coming off the bench. we released jenkins, seemingly to sign sheff or another right handed bat. league minimum, 5th OF, available for PH duties or LF against a tough lefty. :-L

And Jayson Werth still can't get 500 ABs :-b
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:30 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:i would absolutely love sheff coming off the bench. we released jenkins, seemingly to sign sheff or another right handed bat. league minimum, 5th OF, available for PH duties or LF against a tough lefty. :-L

And Jayson Werth still can't get 500 ABs :-b

? werth plays rf you knucklehead. sheff cant play the field very often so i dont think he'd be a threat to steal many abs.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:51 am

Fangraphs wrote a solid article about the Phillies pick up Sheff's bat here:http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/sheffield-in-philly

To summarize, the author didn't think it was a great idea since both back-up OFers for the Phils (Stairs, Sheffield) would be horrible god-awful defensive OFers.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:56 am

RAmst23 wrote:

Fangraphs wrote a solid article about the Phillies pick up Sheff's bat here:http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/sheffield-in-philly

To summarize, the author didn't think it was a great idea since both back-up OFers for the Phils (Stairs, Sheffield) would be horrible god-awful defensive OFers.

well brunlett can play some OF as well, so i dont think either would really have to play the field all that much, but i do see a reason for concern. its nice knowing werth can play cf when victorino needs a spell though.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers