Tigers release Sheffield - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tigers release Sheffield

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tigers release Sheffield

Postby Super Manny » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:55 am

Gary Sheffield wrote:It’s one of those things where you move on, you know? I was surprised. I thought I was getting ready for the season. I never thought that I wasn’t going to be playing with the Detroit Tigers this year. It’s probably a blessing.

Ohhhhhhhhh! BURN! :-D

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:02 pm

He wants to play for the Rays.
They have a ? at RF.
Only problem is, the Rays have recently purged themselves of all the organisations problem children. :-?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Montana168 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:02 pm

i don't follow the tigers too closely but from articles i have read, leyland is very excited about the addition of anderson and said he now the fastest player on the team. i know everyone on here seems to think that guillen will stay in left and thames will DH, however anderson gives the lineup something only granderson offers, which is speed. thames is nothing different than other guys in the lineup like miggy, ordonez and guillen. thats why i belive anderson will be given the nod at LF, and guillen will DH and move back into the INF with a rotation of miggy and inge which will give them days at DH. seems like the most logical move for the tigers.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:10 pm

J35J wrote:This could very well modivate him to put up a decent year on another team....ala Manny Ramirez. I'll take a late round flyer on him in deeper leagues depending on where he ends up.

I agree with this, as well. If he actually is healthy, and motivated for a season, he could get himself another contract next year as well.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:24 pm

Potential holes for Sheff:

Angels 1B
Cleveland LF
Seattle 1B
Seattle LF/DH platoon with Griffey
Tampa Bay RF
Texas LF
Atlanta RF
Cincinnati LF
Florida LF
Pittsburgh LF/RF

(This is going by Yahoo depth charts so forgive me if I've mistakenly listed a locked-in position)

I was really reaching for some of these (he started 9 times at 1B in 2006), everyone is pretty stacked at DH (except Toronto) so I can't see much of a chance there.

Be very interesting to see where he lands. :-?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:47 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Potential holes for Sheff:

Angels 1B
Cleveland LF
Seattle 1B
Seattle LF/DH platoon with Griffey
Tampa Bay RF
Texas LF
Atlanta RF
Cincinnati LF
Florida LF
Pittsburgh LF/RF

(This is going by Yahoo depth charts so forgive me if I've mistakenly listed a locked-in position)

I was really reaching for some of these (he started 9 times at 1B in 2006), everyone is pretty stacked at DH (except Toronto) so I can't see much of a chance there.

Be very interesting to see where he lands. :-?

Interesting list. I just don't know if Shef can handle a full year in the OF. I think the Angels could use the pop but if they weren't going to deal with Manny I don't see why they would deal with Shef. I'd put my money on TB right now.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:01 pm

Montana168 wrote:i don't follow the tigers too closely but from articles i have read, leyland is very excited about the addition of anderson and said he now the fastest player on the team. i know everyone on here seems to think that guillen will stay in left and thames will DH, however anderson gives the lineup something only granderson offers, which is speed. thames is nothing different than other guys in the lineup like miggy, ordonez and guillen. thats why i belive anderson will be given the nod at LF, and guillen will DH and move back into the INF with a rotation of miggy and inge which will give them days at DH. seems like the most logical move for the tigers.

i'd say there's about a 5% chance Guillen sees any time at 3B/1B...with 1B more likely of the 2. i agree with you otherwise, although Anderson will platoon at best
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:53 pm

Montana168 wrote:i don't follow the tigers too closely but from articles i have read, leyland is very excited about the addition of anderson and said he now the fastest player on the team. i know everyone on here seems to think that guillen will stay in left and thames will DH, however anderson gives the lineup something only granderson offers, which is speed. thames is nothing different than other guys in the lineup like miggy, ordonez and guillen. thats why i belive anderson will be given the nod at LF, and guillen will DH and move back into the INF with a rotation of miggy and inge which will give them days at DH. seems like the most logical move for the tigers.

I personally don't think Anderson will be the starting LF, but there's a chance that Leyland falls in love with the guy and makes him the leadoff man. Everyone here is forgetting about Larish. It makes the most sense to put Larish in a DH platoon with Thames, but Leyland rarely does the things that make the most sense.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CadensDad » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:08 pm

I see Sheff bouncing back somewhere, some team will sign him and give him a shot

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Captain Furtah » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:19 pm

For everyone saying teams weren't willing to give Manny a chance because of his character so they won't give Sheff a chance....Manny came with a HUGE price tag and bad character, Sheff is basically free - big difference there.

I sure hope Detroit has another trade up their sleeves. With Thames, Guillen, Anderson, Larish, Raburn, Cleven all to fill only 2 spots - doesn't make sense. I love the tigers and I like Granderson, but do you think he could bring back a high end SP? That is what the Tigers need. What about Ordonez/Granderson for Danks/Price or something? We would still score runs, and Danks is looking for a new contract (if we give big deals to Willis and Robertson, we would for Danks right)...just a thought
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers