5X5 plus SLG %: J. Reyes v J. Hamilton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5X5 plus SLG %: J. Reyes v J. Hamilton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5X5 plus SLG %: J. Reyes v J. Hamilton

Postby 99problems » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:11 pm

Who has more value in a standard league plus SLG %? 10 teams H2H

How does slugging % as a category change Reyes' value? Still a top 4 pick?

What do you guys think? Thanks.
Last edited by 99problems on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99problems
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5X5 plus SLG %: J. Reyes v J. Hamilton

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:32 pm

Baseball Leftovers v Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waiver forum? Standard league question asking who should I trade for or keep?

Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waiver forum!
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 99problems » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:40 pm

Matthias wrote:Baseball Leftovers v Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waiver forum? Standard league question asking who should I trade for or keep?

Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waiver forum!

Sorry, I sort of realized that afterwards but it could go either way I think. I didn't start out my question thinking about the trade but got off track somehow.

What I really just wanted to discuss was how SLG % changes the values of players like Jose Reyes in comparison to someone like Josh Hamilton or other home run hitters
99problems
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:58 pm

I'd say it is roughly 50/50 that Hamilton out produces Reyes in a standard league, in a league with SLG% it is a no brainer imo. Reyes is a 2 cat player, you can get almost exactly the same stats in the 3rd or 4th round by taking Crawford or in the 4th or 5th round by taking Ellsbury.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:38 pm

Ender wrote:I'd say it is roughly 50/50 that Hamilton out produces Reyes in a standard league.

I don't agree with this part...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:50 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Ender wrote:I'd say it is roughly 50/50 that Hamilton out produces Reyes in a standard league.

I don't agree with this part...

Thats fine, Reyes is most likely the most overrated player in fantasy so i agree with it :) This is a 2 category guy in an older lineup who is trending down in SB with age and who is moving into even more of a pitchers park.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:53 pm

Actually, I don't think adding SLG% devalues Reyes dramatically. The fact he provides SB without sagging stats across the board from a scarce position still makes him fairly valuable. That said, in a league like this, I'd surely bump up M-Cab with 3B eligibility over Reyes and perhaps even Sizemore and Braun. Just because Reyes is your first pick doesn't mean he'll be a total buzzkill to your team's SLG when you can get a few power hitters in the next few rounds anyway. Statistically, Hamilton can be better in this league as a 5-category player in this format, but he's still not the most durable player and because you can recoup your SLG elsewhere, Reyes still holds at least a bit more value than Hamilton.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 662)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:59 pm

In your league you want to completely ignore pure SB guys like Reyes etc and target 20/20 types and 30/15 types, those will be where the value are.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Guzman24 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:18 am

Ender wrote:I'd say it is roughly 50/50 that Hamilton out produces Reyes in a standard league, in a league with SLG% it is a no brainer imo. Reyes is a 2 cat player, you can get almost exactly the same stats in the 3rd or 4th round by taking Crawford or in the 4th or 5th round by taking Ellsbury.

ya but they don't play SS do they.

huge drop off after the top 3 IMO.

you seem to forget Reyes stole almost 80 the year before last. but he's trending down in SBs with age???? Please.....they guy is 25 entering his prime. To think he doesn't have potential to eclipse 80SB's is simply delusional.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:52 am

Guzman24 wrote:
Ender wrote:I'd say it is roughly 50/50 that Hamilton out produces Reyes in a standard league, in a league with SLG% it is a no brainer imo. Reyes is a 2 cat player, you can get almost exactly the same stats in the 3rd or 4th round by taking Crawford or in the 4th or 5th round by taking Ellsbury.

ya but they don't play SS do they.

huge drop off after the top 3 IMO.

you seem to forget Reyes stole almost 80 the year before last. but he's trending down in SBs with age???? Please.....they guy is 25 entering his prime. To think he doesn't have potential to eclipse 80SB's is simply delusional.

He won't sniff 80SB. If he gets 60 again I'll consider it a very good year for him.

'05 - 60
'06 - 64
'07 - 78
'08 - 56

...which year seems to be out of the ordinary? And while he is only 25 he does have over 750 games played and almost 300SB under his belt...he won't be getting faster. Not to mention if he does start to see more time in the #2 or #3 hole in the lineup that will take away some chances as well.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers