Chris Perez reassigned to minors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chris Perez reassigned to minors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chris Perez reassigned to minors

Postby bcfisk » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:40 pm

From Yahoo:

Mon, Mar 30

The Cardinals reassigned Perez to the minor leagues following their 2-1 victory over the Marlins on Monday, clearing the way for Jason Motte to get the bulk of the work as their closer, ESPN.com reports.

Looks like Motte has the closer's job wrapped up now.
"I can't explain it ... things happened so fast. I felt myself not penetrating, so I tried to go the right and it wasn't there."

-Steve McNair, after a failed QB sneak
bcfisk
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Chris Perez reassigned to minors

Postby TheDudeAbides » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:20 pm

For now, he certainly does.

However, the St. Louis Post also reports that LaRussa plans on bringing Perez back very soon, which might pave the way to a closer by committee type deal.

I think for the next couple weeks, Motte is the for sure #1, but after that if there are any meltdowns/screw ups, I would not be shocked to see Perez back in there splitting time.
TheDudeAbides
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skimo77 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:40 pm

so does anyone in Saint Louis have any word on how he's doing in the minors, or when he maybe be called back up?
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Postby NittanyLions1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:38 pm

Skimo77 wrote:so does anyone in Saint Louis have any word on how he's doing in the minors, or when he maybe be called back up?

I'm not in St Louis but you can check the Memphis Redbirds website for how he is doing ;-D . Basically he's kicking ass and taking names but still giving a few too many free passes. He's 2 for 2 in save opportunities and picked up a win in a two inning outing as well. Has 4 K's and no runs allowed in 4 innings of work...I think a walk a piece in those 4 innings as well tho. Still not too shabby and I would think they give him the call in the next week or two if he keeps it up, especially if Motte struggles again. I was reading where Motte seemed afraid to throw anything but his heater in intense situations. If thats the case that can't be good and he'll need to work that out in AAA, not the big leagues, so maybe him and Perez switch places!?!?
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:03 pm

NittanyLions1 wrote:I was reading where Motte seemed afraid to throw anything but his heater in intense situations. If thats the case that can't be good and he'll need to work that out in AAA, not the big leagues, so maybe him and Perez switch places!?!?

Somehow I don't think they'd call up Perez to replace Motte in middle relief, which is where Motte is right now.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NittanyLions1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:17 pm

wildbill wrote:
NittanyLions1 wrote:I was reading where Motte seemed afraid to throw anything but his heater in intense situations. If thats the case that can't be good and he'll need to work that out in AAA, not the big leagues, so maybe him and Perez switch places!?!?

Somehow I don't think they'd call up Perez to replace Motte in middle relief, which is where Motte is right now.

No, but they would call him up to replace what Motte was supposed to do...which was work into the closer role. This is all if Motte isnt where he needs to be obviously. If he picks it up and they can work him in the 9th again then maybe Perez just stays in AAA. But I really think they want one of them to start working into that closer role and if Motte can't do it, I think they give Perez that shot. And why not use Perez earlier to give him some more experience at the big league level? Lots of teams do it...ex. Arredondo in LA. Ideally, I think they want Perez to work in the 9th, but if he is dominating AAA and someone else is working out in the closer role, then why not bring him up to replace a struggling pitcher, whether its Motte or someone else? Let him get experience until he's needed in the closer role.
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates