help with player eligibility issue? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

help with player eligibility issue?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

help with player eligibility issue?

Postby bmh » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:11 pm

We had our NL-only auction yesterday. We have a 5-round minor league draft beforehand. Since the season hasn't started yet, we decided that any player still in major league camp would be eligible for the major league auction, and anyone sent to minor league camp or optioned to the minors would not (and thus could be drafted as a minor leaguer).

I said that the list of players from the stat service would be what we'd go by, and I double-checked any questionable players on mlb.com - because the stat service is not perfect (for example, it said that Franklin Morales was in the minors).

The specific problem is Jason Donald - neither the stat service (allstarstats/rotoworld) nor mlb.com show him as being sent down, while in reality he was apparently send down on Monday March 23rd.

One owner tried to draft him as a minor leaguer and was told he couldn't, so he chose someone else.

Then, in the major league auction, he was purchased for $1, so it's not just as easy as letting the orignal guy get him as a minor leaguer.

There were other players bought (at the major league auction) after Donald - so the current $1 Donald owner could say that if at that point if Donald wasn't available, he would have taken someone else (who was later purchased by another team) and so on.

What would you do? Should the guy who tried to draft Donald as a minor leaguer get him? If so, do we just let the guy who got him as a major leaguer get someone else, even though the free agent pool is smaller than the pool of players he could have chosen from at the time he chose Donald?

Or just let things stay the way they are? The first guy did want to draft him, and I told him he couldn't. However, he didn't object at the draft, and I did say that the list we had from the stat service would be official.

Any suggestions? Thanks...
bmh
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: help with player eligibility issue?

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:44 pm

I would give him to the guy who tried to draft him first, and then give the other guy first dubs on anyone he wanted for $1 (there's always someone).

But if you have rules of, "We're using this stat service for eligibility" then leave it as it is. If you defer your judgment, you take it warts and all.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner