Griffey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Griffey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Griffey

Postby hartbc » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:19 pm

Out of curiosity, what kicked off Griffey's string of injuries? I do not remember him having any problems in Seattle.
hartbc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Griffey

Postby biju » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:33 pm

hartbc wrote:Out of curiosity, what kicked off Griffey's string of injuries? I do not remember him having any problems in Seattle.

I think it's psychosomatic. He was the destined prodigy to surpass Hank Aaron, but once he realized it was going to be extremely difficult he started blaming the stadium (the move to Safeco). He was traded and *suddenly* started to get injured.

Oddly enough, every year I think he's going to make a comeback. Someone picks him up in round 10 and I think "man, I should have done that." I'm redeemed about 2 months later.
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ebrage » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:31 pm

Is he healthy now? Haven't heard anything good or bad about him this spring so far.
ebrage

Friendliness: %

Postby phunkadelic » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:37 pm

I think his first injury was a leg injury as a Red, either a tear in his knee or hammy. I can't remember if it was when he was rounding third or running to first.

So far so good on reports out of spring training on him. I've taken him late in two drafts and got him sitting on my bench. If he stays uninjured, he could easily be a top 10 OF this year (easier said than done, I know).

Remember when he used to go #1 in some drafts?
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

griffey

Postby perlick29 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:47 pm

Know this about griffey, he is as healthy as he'll ever be... for now! They are taking him very slowly so that he doesn't get injured and of course look at for him being moved back to seattle.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

griffey

Postby perlick29 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:48 pm

Know this about griffey, he is as healthy as he'll ever be... for now! They are taking him very slowly so that he doesn't get injured and of course look at for him being moved back to seattle.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:35 pm

i've been away for a day or so, does anybody have the most recent news on his talks with seattle?
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Canacuna » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:57 pm

Mugrila wrote:i've been away for a day or so, does anybody have the most recent news on his talks with seattle?

From what I've read, it's nothing more than speculation. Peter Gammons mentioned it on ESPN Radio, methinks, saying the deal was 85% finished - but nothing Gammons says should ever be taken seriously (same Gammons who said A-Rod to Boston was all but done). However, there was a rumor on the radio that said Bowden was told his number one priority was to get rid of Griffey for financial flexibility in the future, too.

Here is an article out of the Seattle Times. Keep in mind that it was written by Bob Finnigan, who happens to write nearly the exact same thing about Griffey coming back every year - so take it for what it is worth.

Seattle Times wrote:PEORIA, Ariz. — While there are several "ifs" in the process, some of them big and some of them expensive, there is more than a passing chance the Mariners are giving serious consideration to bringing Ken Griffey Jr. back.

Cincinnati is known to be looking to move Griffey's contract with $66.5 million still due him for five guaranteed years, plus an option for 2009. Officials of the Seattle club are believed to have had a number of internal discussions on the matter, including here at training camp.

A source among Griffey's friends has said that he would be happy to return.

Seattle has made no secret of its search to upgrade its offense, and Griffey, if he is healthy and willing to return as a purely positive influence, could be the optimum fit on the field.

In addition, the outfielder, who left Seattle to be with his hometown Cincinnati team prior to the 2000 season, would fulfill what may be perceived as the team's need to make a public-relations bang.

This is not to suggest the Mariners are set on bringing back Griffey to the town in which he made the All-Century team, or that they will do anything at all.

The biggest hurdle to returning Griffey could be the five guaranteed years left on his contract, starting at age 34 with major injuries wiping out most of his past two seasons. Balanced against that is the fact that Griffey's money is spread out for years after he is done playing — $6.5 million a year is deferred.

Yet, in the offseason the Mariners were unable to accomplish one of their goals, to add a big bat — as second baseman Bret Boone put it, "a bopper" — to an offense that ranked seventh in the American League in scoring and 13th in home runs, topping only Tampa Bay.

Tampering rules prevent speaking of specific players, but there are extremely few outfielders available to, in the words of Seattle general manager Bill Bavasi early this spring, "add some kind of offense."

"We're ready to act now, and we'll be talking to every team," Bavasi said. "But probably nothing would happen until spring games start and other teams see what they have, what they might be willing to do and what they need."

With Milwaukee recently signing Geoff Jenkins to a multiyear contract, the list is seemingly limited to Magglio Ordonez of the Chicago White Sox, a free agent after this year, and Griffey, in the midst of a long-term deal with the Reds that pays him $62.5 million for five more years with a $4 million buyout of a club option for 2009.

Being a center fielder and a left-handed bat, Griffey would appear to be better built for Seattle than Ordonez, a right-side hitter and right fielder.

Seattle manager Bob Melvin has made clear his reluctance to shift Ichiro to center, which would be necessitated by trading for Ordonez, who will make $14 million this year.

Carlos Beltran of Kansas City is another outfielder once believed to be on the market. But there are several significant reasons Beltran, who will make $8 million this season, would not be available. First, the Royals are expected to be a contender in the AL Central. Second, there is strong speculation that agent Scott Boras will take Beltran to free agency, where he would top next winter's talent list.

"With Griffey, if he's healthy and still got his power," a National League scout noted, "you don't ever have to worry his power is juiced (steroid-aided). He is natural and always has been, and these days that's no small thing to consider."

Seattle CEO Howard Lincoln may be the major player in any effort to trade for Griffey, certainly in all situations where the club would be committing many millions for many years.

There is the long-standing feeling — now urban legend at Safeco Field — that Lincoln would not countenance Griffey's return, that there continued to be bad feeling stemming from Griffey's demand to be traded.

But a Seattle source said recently this is not so: "There's this feeling that Howard wants Griffey to do penance, to walk in the desert, but that just is not true."

Lincoln refrains from addressing that directly.

Instead, asked about his feelings toward the former center fielder, the most important player ever to wear a Seattle uniform, Lincoln refers to a radio interview he gave last month.

"I can't express my feelings about Kenny any better than I did then," Lincoln said. "I was asked what I thought of Junior and Alex Rodriguez. I said, " 'I consider Alex a great baseball player, and I consider Kenny a great player and a great human being.'

"Let me put it this way: If I was stranded on a deserted island and I had to pick one or the other to be with me there, I would pick Kenny without any hesitation."

Asked about his feelings of adding Griffey, in the sense that at one time there may have been friction, Lincoln cited the possibility of tampering and refused to speculate.

But at the same time, he emphasized, "When it comes to putting together a good ballclub, I assure you I have a completely open mind."

The Mariners are known to be wary of Griffey's physical condition after five stretches on the disabled list, three of them for right-leg injuries, which limited him to 234 games the past three years.

For the Mariners, possibly more than any other club, Griffey's approach may be as key as his health.

Treated as a franchise player, Griffey was a monster figure in the organization. Some of it irked, such as rarely joining his teammates for pregame stretching. Some of it was affectation, such as the leather lounge chair at his locker.

As one Seattle executive put it, "there will be no more Barcaloungers in the clubhouse."

The status took a serious turn in 1999 when Griffey called former GM Woody Woodward during a game to complain about the Safeco Field roof being open.

On that incident, Brian Goldberg, Griffey's agent, made a point.

"Ken took the fall for that," said Goldberg, who was at the park yesterday to watch client Ben Howard, a San Diego Padres pitcher. "But he wasn't alone. He had a number of teammates urging him to make the call, telling him he's the only one the team would listen to."

The club has made a number of changes to cut the glare during day games, and Griffey is aware of those.

Sources also confirm that Griffey is aware of Seattle's firm stance that, if the Mariners were to bring him back, it would be as an essential contributor no more privileged than any other lead player.

A deal could take several forms. In the most obvious scenario, the Mariners would take on all Griffey's money and give an outfielder back, probably Randy Winn.

But Seattle, with mound depth starting to back up at Tacoma, could part with one or two young arms if Cincinnati would take on some of Griffey's contract or part with a pitcher such as Chris Reitsma, the Reds' hard-throwing right-hander.

There is no timetable for any deal. The Mariners would wait as long as needed to see how well Griffey has come back from his ailments.

If it somehow came to pass, how would Seattle players feel about having him back?

A sample of responses in the clubhouse: "Fine with me." "Really? Great." "Wow!"

Source: Reunion With Junior?

Here's a little something from the Cincinatti Enquirer that denies anything is in the works...

Cincinatti Enquirer wrote:It's an annual rite of spring: Speculation out of Seattle that the Mariners want to bring Ken Griffey Jr. back.

The Seattle Times reported that "officials of the Seattle club are believed to have had a number of internal discussions on the matter, including at training camp."

That's a long way from consummating a trade, of course.

But the trade makes sense on a couple of levels. The Reds have one of the lowest player payrolls in the baseball, they owe Griffey $66.5 million over the next five years with a club option for 2009, and the Mariners are looking to add a left-handed power bat.

But nothing is brewing between the two teams.

"I haven't had any discussions with (Seattle general manager Bill Bavasi) on the subject," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said.

Griffey's agent, Brian Goldberg, was in Arizona Monday watching another client play. "I haven't heard anything," Goldberg said. "I think it's that time of year. This always comes up."

Trading Griffey now would amount to a salary dump by the Reds. Griffey has been limited to 123 games over the last two seasons, so his trade value is limited.

It's more likely that the Reds would trade Griffey sometime this the season, if he proves he's healthy and productive.

Source: GM, Agent Deny Griffey Report

So, there you go. Sorry if this stuff has already been posted - I haven't visited the site in a while...
[size=9]"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Madison hates The 'Cuna...[/size]
Canacuna Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SoxFanPJ » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Seattle's got a pretty weak OF in terms of sluggers

Winn, Ibanez and Ichiro. They all seem like CF types to me, little power, good speed and average(in Ichiro's case Very good average)

Griffey doesn't seem like a good trade though. He is getting older, is injury prone and has a large salary.

They would be better off if going for a deal trying to get someone like Ordonez who will be a FA.

Seattle needs to get some young hitters as there team is looking pretty ancient.
SoxFanPJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jellyroll » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:22 pm

Seattle has made no secret of its search to upgrade its offense, and Griffey, if he is healthy and willing to return as a purely positive influence, could be the optimum fit on the field.

Think this says it all. Sure if Dunn could bat .300 or Ankiel find the plate they too would be in high demand.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers