Milton Bradley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Milton Bradley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Milton Bradley

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Is it just me or does this guy seem to become a better hitter each season? Granted he doesnt ever complete a full season, that could change this year. I think he could end up being a tremendous value pick this year in the mid-late rounds. The least you could do is throw him in your lineup anytime he faces a lefty, he absolutely tears them apart. He is tearing the cover off the ball this spring and I think he will bat 4th in the order right between Derek Lee and Aramis Ramirez. All signs point toward a career year.

I highly recomend taking Bradley this season.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Milton Bradley

Postby Big Game JLo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:49 pm

I like what I see of him also. His numbers do look really good especially at the end of the draft. But his attitude & health is what constantly knocks his value down. With that being said, I have him on my team! ;-D
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stumpak » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:20 pm

I disagree.

He is an injury mess, and the Cubs are foolishly exacerbating this by playing him in the OF. The guy and can hit and is a valuable player when healthy, but he would have been much better served DHing. I would be pretty surprised if plays 100 games, and even if he does, his steady state performance is not quite as high as last year's.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:27 pm

stumpak wrote:I disagree.

He is an injury mess, and the Cubs are foolishly exacerbating this by playing him in the OF. The guy and can hit and is a valuable player when healthy, but he would have been much better served DHing. I would be pretty surprised if plays 100 games, and even if he does, his steady state performance is not quite as high as last year's.

Why not take the risk at the round you can get him in? Not saying he is the league MVP, but IF he does stay healthy the entire season then he is a massive steal in the late rounds.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)

Postby Tribe-Fan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Bradley is the guy at work that calls in sick all the time. Great worker when he is there, and he straightens up for a while when he gets scolded, but he always backslides and misses more time.

You can take a lot out of his answer to a question recently dealing with his lack of full time AB's the last few years. He was surprised it was even an issue, and he cited the fact that most of the teams he has played for recently (LA, Oakland, San Diego) have made the playoffs or just missed them. He sees nothing wrong with his games played.

Having said that I have drafted him on almost all my teams. When he plays he can be a top 20 talent. You just have to have a reliable back-up.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Irish » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:51 pm

I have him as part of my bench in 2 leagues (1 counts walks and one counts OPS). I am in daily transaction leagues, so I can start him when he plays. I those circumstances he is a platoon BEAST.

If you have weekly lineups or a short bench then I would probably save yourself the headache but I am very excited to have him this year.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:54 pm

I like Bradley's production but if you expect more than 100 games out of him you are fooling yourself. The only reason he stayed healthy last year was because he spent time at DH.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby fezzik » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:17 pm

Last year his hamstrings were sore off and on throughout the year...and that was when he was DHing quite a bit. I don't see his legs holding up as well now that he has to play in the field if he plays. I'd expect 80 games played. Anything more would be a bonus. If you can get him late in a daily roster change league he holds some value, otherwise I'd stay away from him.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby ayebatter » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:30 am

Pass Go, collect your $200, pick up Milton and play him 'till his legs fall off. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby superslugger616 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:37 am

Bradley fits best on a team where you have a steady option behind him. It is the people who rely on Bradley as a lineup fixture who get burned. If you draft him knowing he'll be in and out of your lineup, you should be fine. Plus, on the off chance he stays healthy, you have a top 15 OF for nowhere near the price.
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers