H2H weekly: 2-start pitchers a must? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H weekly: 2-start pitchers a must?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H weekly: 2-start pitchers a must?

Postby chem » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:05 pm

I am playing in an 8-team NL-only league with ESPN standard rosters (this includes 9 pitchers). Scoring is H2H weekly 5x5, with the 5 categories for pitchers being W/K/SV/ERA/WHIP. Win a category H2H, get a point.

I have never played this format before. I recently just learned of the existence of '2-start pitchers' -- the idea of playing SPs that get 2 starts during your current H2H window. Can someone explain the optimal use of this strategy? Would it work in a league like mine, where since it's NL-only and over 72 pitchers are already rostered, the waiver wire is pretty darn thin?

My current pitchers are:, Dan Haren, Ari SP, Ricky Nolasco, Fla SP, Javier Vazquez, Atl SP, Hiroki Kuroda, LAD SP, Mike Gonzalez, Atl RP, Jamie Moyer, Phi SP, Chad Qualls, Ari RP, Shairon Martis, Was SP, Joe Blanton, Phi SP. I have 2 closers... but could imagine going with more or less... no idea what I'm doing there.

On the bench I have: Max Scherzer*, Ari SP DL15, Chris Young, SD SP DTD.
The best waiver wire SPs are: Garland (ARI), McDonald (LAD), J Zimmerman (WAS), Hampton (HOU), Ohlendorf (PIT). There are a variety of other 5th-starter, high ERA/WHIP type guys too.

Should I be looking at churning the bottom 2-3 starting pitchers on my roster in order to get more 2-start pitchers into my weekly H2H matchups? Or would the dropoff in quality and therefore worse ERA/WHIP not be worth the larger Ks and chance at Ws?

Thanks, cafe!
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H weekly: 2-start pitchers a must?

Postby stockrenew55 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:57 pm

In this league format, 2-start pitching helps your wins and k's however depending on the quality of those two starts you could be hurting your ERA and WHIP. Help two, hurt two. So unless you had another quantity driven scoring category, the waiver wire scrubs may not help you.

The 2-start strategy should be incorporated during your draft by grabbing an abundance of good SP's while sacrificing the depth of your bench hitters. This way you'll have more quality 2-start pitchers. Of course you wouldn't have as many backup bench hitters but I like this approach.
stockrenew55
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:57 pm

2 start pitchers are going to be worth it over guys like Moyer, Martis and Blanton. Doesn't even matter which pitchers they are since those guys are such marginal pitchers in general. You don't want to replace your other 4 with a 2 start guy though. Obviously the matchups matter, you don't want to start a crappy guy against the Cubs and Phillies no matter what but in general even a crappy starter outproduces a single start by someone like Blanton over 2 starts.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby chem » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:16 pm

Ender wrote:2 start pitchers are going to be worth it over guys like Moyer, Martis and Blanton. Doesn't even matter which pitchers they are since those guys are such marginal pitchers in general. You don't want to replace your other 4 with a 2 start guy though. Obviously the matchups matter, you don't want to start a crappy guy against the Cubs and Phillies no matter what but in general even a crappy starter outproduces a single start by someone like Blanton over 2 starts.

Well, Blanton and Martis are essentially in there only until Scherzer is starting (week 2 H2H) and C Young is healthy (questionable date). Given the guys I listed as the best waiver pickups, who would be better than Moyer or Blanton? J Zimm isn't pitching until late week 2 or week 3 at best.

Since it's NL only with 72 total pitchers starting each week, the waiver wire is _really_ thin. Also, we only have 3 total bench spots, and I currently have 2 of those used on pitching... so I can't use any more spots to stash pitchers. Can't do a daily add/drop thing either since our pitchers for the H2H matchup are locked at the start of that week's matchup. Let's say Martis or Blanton has a decent outing in week 1, and then would get 2 starts in week 2 or 3 (whatever the schedule works out to be).

Do I keep them on for the 2-start week, or since they're so marginal in the first place, drop them for a non-closer RP to protect my ERA and WHIP? I am also unfamiliar with H2H strategy for use of non-closer RPs.

thanks again.
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Guru » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:54 am

I never realized 2-start pitchers where so useful in H2H weekly leagues
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Seisto » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:59 am

I've fallen victim to two-start dreams before but still like the strategy.

After getting stuck in a pitching rut last year I had to rely on picking up at least one, and a lot of times two, two-start pitchers nearly every week. If you're in a weekly league, you have to make that call pretty early and sometimes by the time that second start rolls around, you'd rather not have it working against your ERA or WHIP just to get a few more innings. That said, I found it helpful in daily leagues, analyzing two-start matchups early in the week and sticking with it as best I could. If you're in a H2H daily lineup league and you've got a nice pad on the ERA/WHIP and are tight elsewhere, throw a guy on the tail end of his two-start week, or even something like a one-start Jesse Litsch, someone that can take a crack at a win and get you another 6 or 7 innings and a handful of Ks.

I also have an absurd love for making transactions so getting two-start guys was becoming a lot more fun that having to trot Aaron Harang out there once a week last year.
Seisto
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers