Ever tried different methods of cash payout? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Ever tried different methods of cash payout?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ever tried different methods of cash payout?

Postby TheProphessional » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:57 pm

Aside from standard 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

I was thinking maybe 1st place gets half the pot, and the rest goes to 'specialty' prizes.. say 10 bucks for each category won.. Its a roto league, so say you come in 4th place, but you had the most homeruns and stolen bases, you get 20 bucks.. Ive never really seen anyone do this before, so maybe there are other ideas out there? Or maybe its just really dumb? haha, what do you guys think?

BTW its not an random online league with strangers anything, its a family/friend league where everyone knows each other (but still competitive, been at it a long time).. Just thought this might switch it up a little and maybe make it more fun..
TheProphessional
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ever tried different methods of cash payout?

Postby Chadgo5 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:31 pm

We have always paid the first through third or fourth place teams, depending on how many teams are in the league. After 15 years, things got a little stale so we not only switched from an draft to an auction we changed our prize payout to keep guys interested throughout the year. Here are our new prize rules:
-------------------------
4.4. The total amount of prize money collected from entrance fees (accounting for 11 teams this year) is $1,375. $1,075 of that will be awarded to the first three teams in the final standings:

First Place $650 / Second Place $300 / Third Place $125

The remaining $300 will divided up and given out as monthly prizes.
Apr $35 highest points for the month / $15 second highest
May $35 highest points for the month / $15 second highest
June $35 highest points for the month / $15 second highest
July $35 highest points for the month / $15 second highest
Aug $35 highest points for the month / $15 second highest
Sept $35 highest points for the month / $15 second highest
-------------------------
This is a roto league BTW.

So, you could be dead last in the overall standings in August, or September and still have a shot at winning some money if you have the best month. In 2008 I finished in 8th place. However, I would have won September and came in second in July, winning $50 under our new rules. We'll see if it works this year.
Chadgo5
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby JimmyBaseball » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:59 am

In my 14 team H2H,, we pay out 1/3 to the regular season winner, 1/3 to playoff winner and divide 2nd in season & playoff the other third.
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:50 am

Ive done things like:

sidepools to the category winners
monthly sidepools for most improved team
sidepool cash to divide up a set amount of money amongst teams that dont finish last overall OR last in any category

now my main thing is in 14 team keeper league I run: I pay down 1st 5 spots to decreasing degrees..teams 14,13, and 12 kick in additional monies
teams 11-6 get entered into a weighted cash lottery to win that kick-in money from teams 14,13,12..6th place gets most ping pong balls team 11 gets the least

so every spot means something and teams 14,13,12 also go into draft lottery for draft position

All to try and discourage tanking..if team 12 can potentially avoid owning more money and even win some money back in theory they should be busting their ass aug/sept to move up a tad and not fallaway..even the difference between what you owe in 14th place vs 13th place should be enough to motiavte owners.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Return to Commissioner's Corner